Palin lashes out at media

xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I thought this was interesting.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28573074/?GT1=43001

I am not impressed when someone cannot say that they were part of the problem.
Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~

Comments

• wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    exactly. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that they got money from People for an exclusive on the new baby. You can't have it both ways.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    Yeah, the idea that she was used by the media at large is redunkulous and completely hilarious.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    exactly. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that they got money from People for an exclusive on the new baby. You can't have it both ways.
    Sarah did?
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    First of all, Caroline Kennedy has not had a moment of privacy in her entire 50+ years of life. She has written books about it and lives a life of a virtual recluse because of it, so Palin saying that Caroline is being treated with kid gloves is just plain stupid (stupid stuff coming out of Palin, imagine that...)

Second, Caroline is going for a Senator seat, a place where she can't really do that much damage. Palin was trying to get the number 2 spot in the world behind a 72 year old geezer who has had cancer 4 times. Did she really expect not to be examined with a fine-toothed comb?!?!? Please...with her voo-doo doctor minister and her anti-woman policies, I'm surprised she came out of it as well as she did. It could have been much worse for her.
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    2happy wrote: »
    Sarah did?

Actually, I don't know if it was Sarah or the family or just Bristol and the baby's daddy. That's why I was saying correct me if I'm wrong. I don't have a link but I can look for it later. Point is, I find it ironic that the media is ok when it benefits her (or her family); not when it is "negative" or probing.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
    2happy wrote: »
    Sarah did?

Actually, I don't know if it was Sarah or the family or just Bristol and the baby's daddy. That's why I was saying correct me if I'm wrong. I don't have a link but I can look for it later. Point is, I find it ironic that the media is ok when it benefits her (or her family); not when it is "negative" or probing.
    That would be nuts (for Sarah). Now, if Bristol and daddy sell the pics, still dumb, but I would chalk it up to young : )
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • yogawavesyogawaves Posts: 368Registered Users
    I can respect your opinionsand clearly you all dislike her, but I still feel the media went way too far.
    Especially, when it comes to her daughter. Even Obama repected that when he said , family (kids) were off limits.
    yogawaves, formerly known as yogagirl
  • Myradella3Myradella3 Posts: 2,481Registered Users
    How was the media responsible for this answer when she was asked what other Supreme Court decisions, besides Roe, with which she disagreed: "Well, let's see. There's ― of course in the great history of America there have been rulings that there's never going to be absolute consensus by every American, and there are those issues, again, like Roe v. Wade, where I believe are best held on a state level and addressed there. So, you know, going through the history of America, there would be others but ―" ?

ETA: And you know, Caroline "vote every now and then" Kennedy is not getting a free pass in the media, you know?

ETA2: I don't think her daughter should have been attacked or teased. But I don't recall that the media did. Sure, SNL did, blogs did...but not the media.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just want it to keep coming. Give her more rope!
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    Clearly, those biased against her are not going to like anything she has to say. Nothing surprising there.

I watched the video excerpts and she was hardly "lashing out" for crying out loud. The quote below is only one example where shes was scrutinized and lied about in the most vicious manner imaginable:

By turns aggravated and bemused, Palin complained in the video that her press office is still getting calls about rumors that she is not the mother of her infant son. She called this "quite absurd," saying she is "frustrated that I wasn't believed that Trig was really my son.

"When did we start accepting as hard news sources bloggers, anonymous bloggers especially? It's a sad state of affairs in the world of the media today, mainstream media especially, that they're going to rely on bloggers, anonymous bloggers, for their hard news information."

Mainstream news outlets reported the rumor in September only after John McCain's campaign revealed the pregnancy of Palin's teenage daughter Bristol, citing the chatter about Trig as the reason for the disclosure. Atlantic blogger Andrew Sullivan — who is hardly anonymous — has questioned why Palin would not release medical records to prove she is the boy's mother, but has also posted information supporting her account.

Since when has Caroline Kennedy had to defend the parentage of her children? That whole episode was the most disgusting thing I think I have ever seen. :angry2:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's interesting that she talks negatively about bloggers. She and McCain wouldn't have had much of a base without their kind.
  • TrenellTrenell Posts: 3,562Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    wild~hair wrote: »
    It's interesting that she talks negatively about bloggers. She and McCain wouldn't have had much of a base without their kind.

gold star
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    Maybe Sarah needs to stay in Alaska where the media scrutiny is less.
    Minneapolis, MN
    misspam wrote: »
    Mainstream news outlets reported the rumor in September only after John McCain's campaign revealed the pregnancy of Palin's teenage daughter Bristol, citing the chatter about Trig as the reason for the disclosure. Atlantic blogger Andrew Sullivan — who is hardly anonymous — has questioned why Palin would not release medical records to prove she is the boy's mother, but has also posted information supporting her account.

Since when has Caroline Kennedy had to defend the parentage of her children? That whole episode was the most disgusting thing I think I have ever seen. :angry2:

1 - The first point above supports that it wasn't the media. The media reported AFTER the McCain folks commented on it.

2 - Since when did Caroline Kennedy run to be a heartbeat away from the leader of the free-world? Not that the baby's parentage should have been questioned by anyone, but Caroline Kennedy's situation is not a part of this.

3 - If that's the most disgusting thing you have ever seen, you are truly blessed. I saw a little boy burned by his mother's boyfriend for eating their crack. I saw a 12 year old girl pregnant by her stepfather who her mother wouldn't leave because Mom said that the daughter came on to him. And that was just one semester.
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    Myradella3 wrote: »

1 - The first point above supports that it wasn't the media. The media reported AFTER the McCain folks commented on it.

2 - Since when did Caroline Kennedy run to be a heartbeat away from the leader of the free-world? Not that the baby's parentage should have been questioned by anyone, but Caroline Kennedy's situation is not a part of this.

3 - If that's the most disgusting thing you have ever seen, you are truly blessed. I saw a little boy burned by his mother's boyfriend for eating their crack. I saw a 12 year old girl pregnant by her stepfather who her mother wouldn't leave because Mom said that the daughter came on to him. And that was just one semester.

Oh jeez, where do I begin? I'm not trying to pick a fight with anyone here. That would be pointless as I am clearly out-numbered. :glasses1: I guess I will take this one point by point.

1. What's clear to me is that the murmurings began on left-wing sites such as The Daily Kos and Huffington Post first, which is why the McCain camp decided to address the rumors.

2. Heartbeat away or not is no excuse for treating that woman the way she was treated. I will wait patiently while someone comes up with one good example where Caroline Kennedy has been treated in the same manner by the media.

3. Admittedly the two examples you cited are very disgusting and I'm sorry you had to witness them. But I thought it was pretty obvious I was speaking in the political sense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If you like Palin and valued what she offered, then you might think that what her being questioned was unfair. And that she was treated worse than anyone ever. So if the next female candidate for VP is not asked about which newspapers she reads, foul will be cried. I don't see where NBC mistreated Palin. I don't see where Fox did. I don't see where CBS did. I don't see where CNN did (Soledad O'Brien read some stats wrong about special ed funding in Alaska. She rescinded that as did at least two other anchors on two different shows). If you want to talk blogs, then we'll have to talk about blogs digging up one of Obama's brothers and talking about his life of crime/poverty/ill-repute. We'd have to talk about the blogs talking his mother being a whore.
  • TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Posts: 671Registered Users
    Yeah, I got like 15 Obama is a terrorist/funded by terrorists/works for Al Qaida/lying non-American/
    lying Muslim emails.

Lots of people believe all that. In fact type of thing worked directly in her favor. (He hangs out with terrorists, he doesn't see America like WE do, etc.)

How 'come that's not fair?
    Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
    Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
    Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
    LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
    For inquiring minds who want to know:
    http://www.public.fotki.com/TillyErnissee
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    [T]hose biased against her are not going to like anything she has to say.

The media are so unfair to pretty white women :roll:

(Of course, not-so-pretty women, white or otherwise, are a different matter.)
    2. Heartbeat away or not is no excuse for treating that woman the way she was treated. I will wait patiently while someone comes up with one good example where Caroline Kennedy has been treated in the same manner by the media.

Actually, just last week I heard a report on NPR and the story was about how Caroline Kennedy sort of rambled in response to a question, it was all caught on tape and people were kind of wondering what was up with that. 'Cause she didn't sound so smart.

So. Yeah.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Actually, just last week I heard a report on NPR and the story was about how Caroline Kennedy sort of rambled in response to a question, it was all caught on tape and people were kind of wondering what was up with that. 'Cause she didn't sound so smart.

So. Yeah.

She has been blasted recently for an interview where she said 'you know' a bizillion times.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    I happen to like Sarah Palin (as a woman, as a person). I certainly don't agree with all of her political stances, but I can't really think of any politician that I agree with completely.
    She didn't stand a chance. Had she been a man, she didn't stand a chance.
    I believe if she hadn't run for VP this election, but for some other type of political office, she would be much more liked.
    There's my 2 cents.

ETA: To be clear, I'm not saying that you all would have agreed with her, and loved her. But I don't think the vemon that is spewed at her would be quite so vicious.
    Location - WI
    xcptnl wrote: »

So. Yeah.

She has been blasted recently for an interview where she said 'you know' a bizillion times.

and her voting record
    and her lack of grasp of the issues
    and her inexperience
    and her aloofness
    and her gait (a commentator said she doesn't walk confidently)
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    How was the media responsible for this answer when she was asked what other Supreme Court decisions, besides Roe, with which she disagreed: "Well, let's see. There's ― of course in the great history of America there have been rulings that there's never going to be absolute consensus by every American, and there are those issues, again, like Roe v. Wade, where I believe are best held on a state level and addressed there. So, you know, going through the history of America, there would be others but ―" ?

ETA: And you know, Caroline "vote every now and then" Kennedy is not getting a free pass in the media, you know?

ETA2: I don't think her daughter should have been attacked or teased. But I don't recall that the media did. Sure, SNL did, blogs did...but not the media.

LOL... that would be a great sig line if it weren't too long!!!!
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Eilonwy wrote: »

I'm surprised that people consider her pretty. I don't think she's that pretty - she's attractive enough in an average way, nothing wrong with her, but nothing that to me stands out or justifies comment. And her hair always irritated me.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

So. Yeah.

and her voting record
    and her lack of grasp of the issues
    and her inexperience
    and her aloofness
    and her gait (a commentator said she doesn't walk confidently)

Interesting. Whenever I see her I think that. I think she takes after the Kennedy side. Where John looked like a Kennedy (and his Mom somewhat) he had that grace about him like his Mom.
    Central Massachusetts

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Amneris wrote: »

I'm surprised that people consider her pretty. I don't think she's that pretty - she's attractive enough in an average way, nothing wrong with her, but nothing that to me stands out or justifies comment. And her hair always irritated me.

Politics has always been "Hollywood for Ugly People", so any politician (male or female) who is remotely attractive will get attention paid to their physical appearance.

I can't stand Palin. I think she is stupid and not qualified for national-level politics, but I have tried very hard not to mock her looks. That's just beneath me, and beneath you too, Amneris. It's not good for women to mock another woman's hairstyle in the political or power arenas. It puts us on the same level as the mysogynists. Women who parade their looks in front of cameras in show biz are open game, but let's assess women in business and politics on their merits, rather than on their clothing, hair, makeup, and breasts.
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users
    I definitely didn't think Palin was right for the job...she had difficulty articulating issues of international and national importance. She relied heavily on promoting domestic oil. I don't think she's stupid...but just not smart enough to be VP.
    I don't agree with her anti-choice/anti-science views, but there are plenty of politicians that I don't agree with either.

With that said, I did think the media was harsh on her...but it turned out that was what was needed. At first, I thought "come on, you wouldn't be this harsh on her if she were a man." And I still believe that. I thought people were too quick in criticizing her.
    However, the more I learned about her, I understood that the criticisms were actually valid. I'm glad the media was harsh on her. I wish they would be harsh on more politicians. I do think she was singled out more so than the others...but in this case, that's a good thing.

I wish the media would be more critical of all politicians from both parties, either gender, whichever racial identity, etc. The media needs to step it up. They did with Sarah Palin, but I think they should've been more harsh on the others, especially Obama.
    I voted for Obama and think he was the best qualified, but the media handled him with kid gloves for the most part. He was well loved, and I understand why...but I would've liked to hear more.

Now, of course, I'm talking about the major networks here ABC, NBC, CBS...there are other forms of media that was harsh towards Obama. There's also other forms of media that went over the board with their criticisms of Sarah Palin, such as questioning her maternity with the baby. I felt like "oh come on! She's in her forties and she has a Down's Syndrome baby. It's not rocket science to just assume it's her baby."
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    At first, I thought "come on, you wouldn't be this harsh on her if she were a man."

I agree with you--BUT I also don't think she would have been up for VP if she were a man.
    Amneris wrote: »

Politics has always been "Hollywood for Ugly People", so any politician (male or female) who is remotely attractive will get attention paid to their physical appearance.

I can't stand Palin. I think she is stupid and not qualified for national-level politics, but I have tried very hard not to mock her looks. That's just beneath me, and beneath you too, Amneris. It's not good for women to mock another woman's hairstyle in the political or power arenas. It puts us on the same level as the mysogynists. Women who parade their looks in front of cameras in show biz are open game, but let's assess women in business and politics on their merits, rather than on their clothing, hair, makeup, and breasts.

I'm not mocking her hair - just stating that it irritates me (it does not look polished or professional, in my opinion.) There are male politicans whose hair also irritates me (ones who look like they have plugs, like Biden - who I do like in general.)

I do agree with the rest of your point, though.

.png

534Pm5.png

So. Yeah.

Wanted to add: The New Yorker did a little write-up about it, too.

And in that same piece, Hillary was also taken to task for over-using certain phrases in her public speaking.

So, yeah, it ain't just Palin. [Although it does seem to be all women. :?]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file