Sweet curly headed baby

NolamamaNolamama Registered Users Posts: 3
Hi,
My daughter is 18 mos old and bi-racial. She has beautiful curly hair but I have NO experience with hair like hers. I would like to find a kid friendly product that will help keep it moisturized and relatively tangle free.

She complains bitterly whenever I try to comb it even when I am very careful about not tugging. I am struggling with my mindset about how to care for hair because I realize that her hair and my hair need different attention. Any advice that might be out there would be much appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!
Eleanor

Comments

• doonedoone Registered Users Posts: 14
    Hi Eleanor,
    My daughter is also biracial and curly! Fortunately, I am curly too, so that helped me a bit, although her hair is much curlier and a different texture than mine.

The main thing to keep in mind is that her hair needs lots of moisture to keep it healthy and reduce frizz. When my daughter was younger, we used California Baby conditioner, avaiable at Target. I apply the conditioner in the bath, let it sit for a couple of minutes and then comb through with a wide-tooth comb, being careful to hold the hair close to the scalp so not to pull. My daughter still complains every time, but we get through it. I would also suggest a leave-in conditioner. We just used the California Baby as a leave-in also. Some baths I would rinse it out and others I would just leave it in. I tried the spray-on detangler from Johnson and Johnson, but I think the ingredients were too drying to her hair. I ditched those in favor of a leave-in conditioner.

My daughter is now three and her hair is much thicker and curlier as it grows (shoulder length, mostly one length). I have ditched the baby products and gone to full strength! Right now, we are using Mixed Chicks products (available to order online) - shampoo, deep conditioner and leave-in. The leave-in doubles as a styling product and keeps her hair moisturized and reduces frizz. These products may have been too heavy when her hair was shorter and less curly.

After you put-in a leave in or styling product, just leave the hair alone, never brush and if you have to dry, use a diffuser. I use a microfiber towel to blot some of the water out and then let it air-dry or diffuse.

Her hair looks great after it dries, but then when she wakes up in the morning, it is a little messy. Some mornings, I smooth on a little conditioner to smooth it out or use Aveda Curl Control. I may try a satin pillowcase to reduce some of the friction.

Hope this helps. Poke around this site, there is a wealth of information!
    3a, below shoulder length, CG since January 2009

Co-wash -- Suave Naturals Coconut, Hair One Cleansing Cream Olive Oil
    Rinse-out -- Suave Naturals Coconut, Giovanni 50:50
    Leave-in -- Lustrasilk Shea Butter, Giovanni 50:50
    Stylers -- HESMU
    Other likes -- MF towel, occasional diffusing, JC Awe Inspiring Spray
    Currently trying KCKT/KCCC & loving them!
  • NolamamaNolamama Registered Users Posts: 3
    Thanks for your reply. I have also found that the Johnson & Johnson detangler doesn't really cut it for her hair. I have a friend who recommended "Potion 9" by sebastian as a leave in treatment. She has a daughter with curly hair and loves it. I have found that it works ok but I really would like to find something that is more kid friendly at this point. I will check out the California Baby as a leave in. I also liked the review section on this website - I want to try the "Mixed Chicks" or some of the other kid product shown.

Her hair is curly and fine/soft. I haven't found that it is overly dry yet but it is more dry than mine is which is why I have had to rethink how I care for her hair. I have been washing once maybe twice a week depending on how active she has been and running a wide comb through when it is wet is way easier. My biggest hope is that I will find something that will be easy for her to continue as she gets older. She has such pretty hair, I don't want her to fight it, I want to help her embrace it.

Thanks again for the advice.
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    doone gave some really good advice.

my daughter is 19 months old and a biracial curly as well. i had a hard time finding what worked for her because her hair is unlike mine (im a 3c) and her father's (he is a 2a/b) i love the california baby conditioner as a rinse out and as a leave in. it works really well for her hair combined with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]curl keeper[/buylink].
    also, i really like kinky curly knot today leave in and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]kinky curly curling custard[/buylink]. i like going to the swap board on this site to get samples of different products to figure out what works for her hair and what doesnt. in my fotki i have pics of my daughter's hair using the products i mentioned above.
    and if you havent already, check out the book curly girl by lorraine massey. its full of great info on how to take care of curly hair.
    sleeping on a sating pillowcase/blanket is also a must. it gives her hair less tangles and it doesnt dry it out.
  • madhuri_dixit_fanmadhuri_dixit_fan Registered Users Posts: 310
    I'm a mother of four multiracial wavies & curlies ranging from 2a to 3c hair. I also rec trying California Baby Conditioner for your little curly one. I have used it diluted as leave in, and it works well in that regard too. I also use the California Baby Detangler, but we're still evaluating because I find it too sticky as is on my 2a haired daughter and 2b haired son.

For now Aubrey Organics conditioners are our staple (Honeysuckle Rose, White Camellia, Island Naturals, JAY) and I also like their Design B5 gel (but not the smell) layered over a leave-in conditioner for them. Aubrey's conditioners have worked for every head in our fam, 1-4b. The one shampoo we use from Aubrey's is the Swimmers, but only in the summer and after pools/beach/etc.

To refresh styles I just spray on distilled water + tiny bit aloe vera gel. I make that fresh every morning, just enough for my fam's heads for the day. It also helps with detangling, which I sometimes mix with the California Baby detangler.

We do the satin caps/sheets/pillowcase too. My youngest hates the satin caps, so I switched to the pillowcases and such for her and then her siblings wanted ones too, lol.

Another thing that has helped with detangling and avoiding knots and lint in hair has been loosely braiding up ponytails, not leaving the hair out a lot.

Oh, and last, I find that diluting a small amount of Dr. Bonner's Baby Unscented Castile soap with Distilled Water to be great shampoo for them. It actually defines their waves and curls. Sometimes I mix that with herb-infused water, such as infusing Chamomile, and that brings out curls a lot too. Afterwards, I just try not to manipulate their hair too much when conditioning and styling and the waves and curls pop.
    RIP Natasha Richardson

Holy Grails: Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner, AVG, EVO Coconut Oil, Amla Oil, KC Spiral Spritz, Brahmi Oil, Tea Tree eo, Rosemary eo, Distilled H2O, Aloe Vera Juice, Neem Oil, ACV, Dr. Bonner's Skikakai Castile Soap, Avocado Oil

Sometimes: AOMM Jelly, KCNT, KCCC
  • NolamamaNolamama Registered Users Posts: 3
    Thank you all so much! I can't wait to try some of these products! I will post an progress report soon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file