Recipe Exchange Game

Hey Y'all

I have seen this recipe game at a few site and thought it might be fun here.

So this is how it works:

I will post a recipe that will have the given ingredient and at the end of my post I will post a new ingredient. The next person will pick up the new ingredient and post a recipe that contain this ingredient. At the end of their post they will pick a new ingredient and so it will go on. since I am a recipe junkie I found this interesting and a sure way to get more recipes, and have fun.

It can be anything related to cooking or baking....a spice, condiment, meat, fruit, vegetable, juice....as long as you can cook or bake with it.

So I will start with Shrimp

Shrimp Balls

1 pound small shrimp, shelled and uncooked
1 8-oz. can sliced water chestnuts, drained
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 Tbsp. sherry
1 Tbsp. green onions, chopped
1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
1 tsp. five spice powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg
Oil for frying

Combine all ingredients except oil in a blender or food processor. Blend mixture until mixed well but still a little chunky. Place 2 - 3 inches of oil in a skillet and heat. Drop teaspoonfuls of the mixture into hot oil and cook for several minutes until golden brown. Place on a paper towel to drain. Serve warm with a variety of sauces including duck sauce, sweet and sour sauce and plum sauce.
(This was borrowed)

Next Ingredient is CHICKEN

Comments

• xcptnlxcptnl Registered Users Posts: 15,678 Curl Connoisseur
    Chicken

Sunday Roast Chicken. I just saw this recipe in the recent Bon Appetit and it sound yummy.

Ingredients
    • 1 12-ounce unpeeled russet potato, well scrubbed, cut into 1-inch cubes
    • 1 12-ounce yam (red-skinned sweet potato), peeled, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
    • 2 large carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise, cut crosswise into 1 1/2-inch pieces
    • 3 medium parsnips, peeled, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
    • 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
    • 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
    • 1 garlic clove, pressed
    • 1 4-pound organic chicken
    • 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
    • 8 cups coarsely torn red or green mustard greens
    • 1 shallot, minced
    • 1/2 cup dry white wine
    • 1/4 cup water
    Preparation
    • Toss first 5 ingredients in large roasting pan. Mix butter, sage, and garlic in small bowl. Place chicken in center of vegetables. Using fingertips, loosen skin from breast. Spread 1 tablespoon sage butter under skin. Rub 1 tablespoon sage butter over entire chicken. Dot vegetables with remaining sage butter. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon salt over vegetables and chicken. DO AHEAD Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill.
    • Preheat oven to 400°F. Roast chicken and vegetables 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F; continue roasting until instant-read thermometer inserted into chicken thigh registers 165°F and vegetables are tender, stirring vegetables once, about 1 hour.
    • Place greens and shallot on large deep platter. Spoon 3 tablespoons fat from juices in pan and drizzle over greens; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Using slotted spoon, transfer roasted vegetables to platter, placing atop greens. Tilt chicken, allowing juices to flow from cavity into pan. Transfer chicken to work surface. Cut into serving pieces and arrange with vegetables atop greens.
    • Add wine and 1/4 cup water to roasting pan. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring to scrape up browned bits. Simmer until slightly reduced, about 3 minutes. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to small pitcher. Serve chicken, passing pan juices alongside.
    Next ingredient - Scallops
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • RebeccaKRebeccaK Registered Users Posts: 305 Curl Connoisseur
    Hope it's not too late to join in here... what a great idea! Both recipes look wonderful. =)

I can't vouch for the authenticity of this recipe, but it's pretty close to the real thing as far as I can tell.

It is great for initiating people into the delicious world of raw fish – even though it’s “cooked” by the citrus in the lime juice, the texture is more like raw fish. Tender, flavorful, ‘gourmet’ and easy!

Avoid if pregnant or dealing with auto-immune disease of course!

Scallop Ceviche / Seviche (seh–vee–chay)
    Theme and Variations

Basic recipe:

Marinade:
    • 1 cup lime juice (or more – enough to cover the seafood. Can mix lime/lemon. Fresh is best but bottled works too!)
    • 1 – 2 Tbsp olive oil (extra virgin is best but not necessary)
    Add to the marinade:
    • ½ - 1 pound FRESH raw scallops (bay or sea scallops work here. Also could use raw peeled shrimp, or a firm white fish such as red snapper, halibut, flounder. Combinations of any/all works great too! Salmon or tuna can be used, but the flavor is stronger)
    • ½ - 1 whole small red onion or a few shallots finely sliced (small slivers works great, but diced is good too)
    • 1 – 2 serrano or jalapeño chiles, stemmed, thinly sliced or finely chopped, and seeded (remember.. don’t touch face or eyes until hands are washed well, or wear gloves!)
    • ½ - 1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped (to taste – some people don’t tolerate cilantro’s taste. Parsley works here if you want)
    • 1 – 2 cloves garlic, finely minced (optional)
    Combine:
    All above ingredients in a non-metal bowl (glass or ceramic works best) and refrigerate for 15 minutes to an hour. Drain (discard liquids) and combine with any/all of the below:

Add-ins:
    • Chopped avocado
    • Thinly sliced orange or yellow banana peppers, or colored bell peppers
    • Chopped red or yellow tomatoes (seeded)
    • 1 – 2 Tsp salt (I like coarse salt, like kosher or sea)
    • Cracked black pepper
    • Chopped cucumber (seeded, or use ‘hot house’ seedless cucumber)
    • Additional olive oil to drizzle over the top
    • Sprinkle of chili powder, chipotle chili powder, red pepper flakes
    Serve right away. (Can prep all ingredients ahead of time, but don’t marinate the seafood for much longer than an hour or two – it does get a little tougher as time goes on)

Serving Suggestions:

Serve small amounts in small, cup-shaped leaves of boston or butter lettuce, raddichio (a wonderful bitter taste), belgian endive spears

Serve in individual glass goblets (martini glasses are fun!) with sides of tortilla chips or baked pita wedges

Serve as gourmet “fish taco” in warmed flour or corn tortillas, with lettuce as a garnish

Serve small portions in individual Japanese soup spoons for a very elegant “amuse bouche”

Serve on top of bed of mixed greens

Serve in the hollow of an avocado half (really indulgent!)

Eat right out of the bowl with a spoon!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Next Ingredient:

Might as well go for it - Chocolate!
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    I just made this and it was extraordinarily good. I didn't add rosemary to the dressing. I added fried tempeh slivers to the greens. Oh, and I used collards instead of kale.

Arame, Kale, and Almonds
    Serves four.
    ½ cup dry arame
    1 red onion, sliced
    4 cups chopped kale
    ½ cup toasted chopped almonds or pumpkin seeds
    Soak arame in water. Meanwhile, begin sautéing onion in water until soft. Drain arame and add to onions; sauté one minute. Combine and add chopped kale. Sauté until kale is tender. Add toasted almonds, top with detox dressing, and serve. This dish is great served warm and equally great cooled and served as a cold or room-temperature salad.

Detox Dressing
    1 cup extra virgin olive oil
    [SIZE=-2]1[/SIZE]/[SIZE=-2]3[/SIZE] cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
    Garlic (as much as you’d like)
    Fresh chopped rosemary (dill is also nice)
    Combine all ingredients and enjoy on top of everything.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    Ooooh, this ^^^ sounds incredible! Now, if only I didn't live in a very rural area with no decent grocers AND with a totally picky-eater of a husband!!!

(I think I'd have left the rosemary out, too. Thyme maybe!)

Mind if I ask - why is it called "detox" dressing?
  • tgreyztgreyz Registered Users Posts: 1,627
    All the chocolate [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Curls-Milkshake-p-884.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Curls-Milkshake]milkshake[/buylink] recipes I have seen online call for vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup which I just don't get. Why not use chocolate ice cream?

Malted [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Curls-Milkshake-p-884.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Curls-Milkshake]Milkshake[/buylink]
    • 2 1/2 cup chocolate ice cream
    • 1 1/2 cup milk
    • 5 Tbsps sugar
    • 3 Tbsps cocoa
    • 3 Tbsps malted milk powder
    Combine ingredients in blender and blend.

-OR-

Chocolate Mousse Frosting
    • 3 c. heavy cream
    • 1 1/2 c. sifted confectioners' sugar
    • 1/2 c. cocoa powder
    • Dash of salt
    • In a chilled bowl blend ingredients, then whip until mixture holds a peak. Frosts two (9 inch) round layers, split in half plus sides and top.
    • Refrigerate

NEXT INGREDIENT: Garlic
    3b or 3c curls | My Fotki
    combo2.gif________________________________________________

event.png
  • mpgirlmpgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,163
    Red Potatoes and Chicken

4 chicken breast halves
    1.5 pounds of red potatoes
    1 large onion
    3 medium carrots
    1 15oz. bottle of your favorite Italian Dressing
    2 large cloves of garlic minced

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut chicken, red potatoes, onions and carrots into 1 inch or so chunks. Combine all ingredients in a 9x13 glass dish. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking until done.

Server with some crusty bread.

The next ingredient is Hamburger.
    3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
    Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect. -wabi-sabi

• ruralcurlsruralcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,574
    RebeccaK wrote: »
    Ooooh, this ^^^ sounds incredible! Now, if only I didn't live in a very rural area with no decent grocers AND with a totally picky-eater of a husband!!!

(I think I'd have left the rosemary out, too. Thyme maybe!)

Mind if I ask - why is it called "detox" dressing?

I am in a rural area, too. It is hard sometimes to not have the things I want.
    ruralcurls - there's only so much you can order online, and sometimes simply not worth it w/shipping and such. =)

Hamburger

CHEESEBURGER CHOWDER

3/4 lb. lean ground beef
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    3/4 cup shredded carrots
    3/4 cup chopped celery
    1 tsp. dried basil
    1 tsp. dried parsley
    6 cups chicken broth
    2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and diced
    3 Tblsp. butter or margarine
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    3/4 lb. Velveeta cheese, cubed
    3/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper

Cook ground beef in a Dutch oven or large pan over medium-high heat about 3 minutes, stirring until meat crumbles. Add onion, carrots, celery, basil, and parsley and sauté 4 minutes or until beef is no longer pink. Drain well. Return beef mixture to Dutch oven.

Stir in chicken broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 to 12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Melt 3 Tblsp. butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Gradually stir in flour, and cook, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes or until flour is lightly browned. Whisk flour mixture into simmering beef mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 6 minutes or until thickened.

Whisk in cheese, salt, and pepper just until cheese melts. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Serve with a good crusty bread and green salad. Yield: 10 cups.

Note: The original recipe calls for 1-1/2 cups of milk to be added with the cheese. This recipe is pretty good without it but could be thinned if needed with the milk or (to save the fat/calories) more chicken broth.

Next Ingredient
    Blue Cheese
  • forensic_curlychickforensic_curlychick Registered Users Posts: 266
    Blue cheese

Blue cheese Dip

Ingredients:
    8 oz. pkg cream cheese, softened
    1/2 c. sour cream
    4 oz. crumbled blue cheese
    1 tsp lemon juice
    1/2 tsp prepared horseradish
    1/2 c. grated carrot
    1/4 c. finely chopped green onion tops
    2 tbsp chopped piniento
    2 tbsp chopped parsley
    1/4 c. cooked bacon pieces

Combine cream cheese, sour cream and blue cheese in container of electric blender or food processor; blend till smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients. Chill well. Serve with fresh vegetables. Makes 2 1/2 cups.

Next Ingredient is : Salmon (canned or fresh)
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Registered Users Posts: 4,049
    Salmon

2 - 1/2 to 3/4 inch Salmon filets
    4 T Soy Sauce
    2 T Maple Syrup
    1 t EVOO

Marinate salmon in soy and maple syrup for at least 15 min (on counter) or up to 2 hrs (in fridge).

Heat frying pan on medium high heat. Add EVOO. Cook Salmon for 3 min each side. Remove from pan and let sit for at least 5 min to cook to med well.

I serve with brown rice tossed with soy sauce and sesame oil and steamed asparagus or broccoli.

Next Ingredient: Rice
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • malteze_bubblegmalteze_bubbleg Registered Users Posts: 5
    RICE

Ingredients:
    • one pkt of success rice or any rice you like (makes one cup rice)
    • 2 chopped carrots, chopped slanted
    • 1/2 onion chopped
    • 2 cloves garlic chopped
    • 1 tbsp fresh thyme
    • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
    • red pepper flakes
    • some olive oil
    • 2/3 cup pecan halves
    • some corn (i use half small can)
    Boil rice as directed by package. while its cooking, heat a skillet over low medium heat for about a minute. Than put the pecans on there for like a minute until aromatic. (be careful so they dont burn!).....than transfer to a bowl and reserve.

Than put the heat on medium -high, heat olive oil. Saute onions and garlic until soft, & i also put the carrots in also as they take a while to cook app. 8 mins. Add the pepper flakes and toss everything so everything is combined. Than i add the cooked rice, thyme, cranberries, some corn, and the pecans. Toss everything around and let stay on the stove for about a minute to warm a little and serve. its good & healthy.

Next>>>chicken drumsticks
  • forensic_curlychickforensic_curlychick Registered Users Posts: 266
    JAMAICAN JERK drumsticks

Makes 6 servings

1/2 tsp cinnamon, ground
    1 1/2 tsps allspice, ground
    1 1/2 tsps black pepper, ground
    1 Tbsp hot pepper, chopped
    1 tsp hot pepper, crushed, dried
    2 tsps oregano, crushed
    2 tsps thyme, crushed
    1/2 tsp salt
    6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1 cup onion, puréed or finely chopped
    1/4 cup vinegar
    3 Tbsps brown sugar

16 pieces drumstick

1. Preheat oven to 350° F.

2. Combine all ingredients except chicken in large bowl. Rub seasoning over chicken.

3. Marinate in the refrigerator for 6 or more hours.

4. Evenly space chicken on nonstick or lightly greased baking pan.

5. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 40 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for an additional 30 to 40 minutes or until the meat can be easily pulled away from the bone with a fork. The drumsticks may require less cooking time than any other parts.

Next ingredient: ham

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file