Obama girls (long emotional vent)

wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
I know, he asked for it and he got it - loss of privacy for him and his family.

BUT... I just wanted to vent. I live in the DC suburbs. This morning, I was watching the news. They were on "1st day of school watch" for the girls and the streets that led to the school were a virtual parking lot. I just felt sorry for the girls.

I don't know if I'm emotionally sensitive today but for some reason, I started to weep as I thought about the girls' lives from here on out.

This emotion struck me as Sasha peered out from the window of the car that was driving her. I looked at her eyes, I saw a little fear. I worry about them having a normal life and growing up in the limelight.I was trying to explain my feelings to my husband as I was bawling inexplicably.

I really hope the press will leave them alone. But I am beginning to think they will not. I mean, People magazine has already said that the family on their cover is a huge seller. Will they be allowed to have failures as teens without everyone hearing about them? I know other kids of noted parents go through this but I feel these girls have the extra pressure of being daughters of a "historical presidency" or "a first". Plus they are so young!

I wonder if some people want to see them do poorly or mess up. I'm worried about their safety. They seem so well grounded now - I hope that remains.

I don't know, maybe I see my girls in them - two young African American girls and I want so badly for the Obama girls to show America that our kids can be smart, polite, beautiful...you get it.... AND at the same time, I want them to have a normal childhood.

Boy, is that some pressure?

I don't know if this post will set off anyone or become a trainwreck. That is not my intention. I just needed a place to vent and express my feelings on the matter. Feel free to comment.
HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
password: curlzorwavez

Comments

• MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    While on some level I agree-- they should be left alone-- on another level, I feel as though their parents have (for lack of better phrasing) groomed them to be role models for young women. Yes, it's a lot of pressure, but given the stock they're from, I suspect they can handle it readily. We want to think of them as ordinary young women, but they're not, IMO. They're extraordinary.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I feel those same things. While I am sure parts of this are fun and exciting (nice houses to stay in while in Hawaii - those kinds of perks) it must be a bit overwhelming to have all of this attention. And while they have been somewhat in the spotlight up until now I don't think anything compares to this. I can only say if they really want to keep their girls out of the spotlight they should talk to the Carters, the Clintons and ask Caroline Kennedy how her mother did it. I know times have changed since Jackie Kennedy was raising her and John - the news has changed since then there must be some nuggets if info the Obamas can use. I also think that Chelsea was not bombarded by the press so there must be a way of doing it and at the same keeping your kids grounded.

I just wish as a country we were not so interested in 'celebrities'. We create the need so the press creates the product.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I was watching the Today show this morning and the reporter mentioned that he grew up in a military family and that he remembers how hard it was when you had to change schools and "start all over". The NBC news crew was located a few blocks away, and while they were covering the story, after they got the fotage of the car that carried the girls to school, NBC made a point to say that they were leaving, so that the girls would be able to have a some what normal first day at school.

That's when it really hit me that reporters were camped out side of these kids SCHOOL just to get a shot of them on thier first day. I imagine they were all ready scared, i mean u leave all your old friends behind and have to make new friends...that's scary at ANY age. I just hope that more of the press realize that its not easy in those kids shoes and kind give em some breathing room to be kids.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    While on some level I agree-- they should be left alone-- on another level, I feel as though their parents have (for lack of better phrasing) groomed them to be role models for young women. Yes, it's a lot of pressure, but given the stock they're from, I suspect they can handle it readily. We want to think of them as ordinary young women, but they're not, IMO. They're extraordinary.

You are right -they have great models in their parents. At least Barack and Michelle don't seem to be nervous nellies like me!
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

xcptnl wrote: »
    I feel those same things. While I am sure parts of this are fun and exciting (nice houses to stay in while in Hawaii - those kinds of perks) it must be a bit overwhelming to have all of this attention. And while they have been somewhat in the spotlight up until now I don't think anything compares to this. I can only say if they really want to keep their girls out of the spotlight they should talk to the Carters, the Clintons and ask Caroline Kennedy how her mother did it. I know times have changed since Jackie Kennedy was raising her and John - the news has changed since then there must be some nuggets if info the Obamas can use. I also think that Chelsea was not bombarded by the press so there must be a way of doing it and at the same keeping your kids grounded.

I just wish as a country we were not so interested in 'celebrities'. We create the need so the press creates the product.

I know and I don't think this will change anytime soon.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

I was watching the Today show this morning and the reporter mentioned that he grew up in a military family and that he remembers how hard it was when you had to change schools and "start all over". The NBC news crew was located a few blocks away, and while they were covering the story, after they got the fotage of the car that carried the girls to school, NBC made a point to say that they were leaving, so that the girls would be able to have a some what normal first day at school.

That's when it really hit me that reporters were camped out side of these kids SCHOOL just to get a shot of them on thier first day. I imagine they were all ready scared, i mean u leave all your old friends behind and have to make new friends...that's scary at ANY age. I just hope that more of the press realize that its not easy in those kids shoes and kind give em some breathing room to be kids.

Yep, NCC - this is the footage that sent me reeling.

And I too was one of those military kids. We were always the NEW kids. We moved every 3 years. It was especially difficult when we lived in places where there were few blacks. My dad was an officer too so there were even fewer kids who looked like me in my social circles.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

• 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    I think it's sad. I also thought it was sad when Bristol Palin was splattered all over the news when she had her baby. Everyone seemed to agree that it was her parents fault for putting her there.
    I didn't think that then, and I don't think that now.
    I believe the Obamas knew exactly what would happen. He chose to serve his Country in the highest way anyway. He is a great man, and I think he will protect his children more than anything. And Michelle will continue to raise them to be fantastic role models.

The news wouldn't be there if WE didn't have a demand for it. It's just as sad for the Jolie/Pitts as it is for the Obamas. I wish it would all stop.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
    2happy wrote: »
    I think it's sad. I also thought it was sad when Bristol Palin was splattered all over the news when she had her baby. Everyone seemed to agree that it was her parents fault for putting her there.
    I didn't think that then, and I don't think that now.
    I believe the Obamas knew exactly what would happen. He chose to serve his Country in the highest way anyway. He is a great man, and I think he will protect his children more than anything. And Michelle will continue to raise them to be fantastic role models.

The news wouldn't be there if WE didn't have a demand for it. It's just as sad for the Jolie/Pitts as it is for the Obamas. I wish it would all stop.

agreed.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Chelsea Clinton managed to grow up just fine in the limelight, because she had a good strong mother. The Bush girls were f*ckups, but I would have expected that from them...Laura strikes me as weak. You can just tell the good parents from the not-so-good ones. Michelle is a good strong parent, and probably Barack too, but most especially Michelle. The Obama girls will be fine.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i think the girls will be fine. last night i heard something about their first day of school and i was thinking how scary it must be for them. or wondering if the kids are really wanting to be their friends because they like them or because someones parents want to have the obama children come to their b-day parties.

i also think that the girls are used to it to some extent. theyre used to being in the spotlight. alot of times things go wrong with famous children when they are no longer in the spotlight because they crave that attention.
  • Myradella3Myradella3 Posts: 2,481Registered Users
    I recall that toward the latter part of Clinton's 2nd administration, there was a news piece that showed Chelsea talking. The announcer commented that that was the first time the public had heard her voice. She was that guarded. I also remember Hillary saying that they had to create chores for Chelsea because it was important that she have that responsibility.
  • susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,372Registered Users Curl Novice
    Chelsea Clinton managed to grow up just fine in the limelight, because she had a good strong mother. The Bush girls were f*ckups, but I would have expected that from them...Laura strikes me as weak. You can just tell the good parents from the not-so-good ones. Michelle is a good strong parent, and probably Barack too, but most especially Michelle. The Obama girls will be fine.

How in the hell were they FUs? I can't think of that many college students who have their indiscretions splashed all over the national media....and I don't consider under 21 drinking that big a deal. They've both graduated and become responsible young women who happen to be good role models. Both of them have gone into public service-oriented jobs. Chelsea has gone for the money. And Hillary and Bill told the press that if they did not leave Chelsea alone, then they would cut off all media access.

Laura is not even remotely weak. You just don't recognize the iron fist in the velvet glove. Apparently you need women to be loud, obnoxious and overbearing to be strong. I've known tons of women who have chosen to remain in the background, quiet women who are very strong. My own mom happens to be one, while my MIL is one of the loud, overbearing ones that has to be smarter and more informed than anyone else.
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

• Myradella3Myradella3 Posts: 2,481Registered Users
    susancnw wrote: »
    ....and I don't consider under 21 drinking that big a deal. They've both graduated and become responsible young women who happen to be good role models. Both of them have gone into public service-oriented jobs. Chelsea has gone for the money. And Hillary and Bill told the press that if they did not leave Chelsea alone, then they would cut off all media access.

I don't consider driving 62 in a 55 speed limit zone to be a big deal but I got a ticket for doing so. I had to pay a fine and deal with any consequences.

What's wrong with Hillary and Bill telling the press to leave their daughter alone?
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    I had the same feeling watching that footage. It is hard enough going back to school, but going to a new school when your dad has been elected as president of the U.S. is a totally different story. I think it will be a huge help that Michelle Obama and her mother will be home and focused on them. Hopefully they will have some normalcy. I also think after that first day the press will (hopefully) leave them alone.
  • susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,372Registered Users Curl Novice
    Myradella3 wrote: »
    susancnw wrote: »
    ....and I don't consider under 21 drinking that big a deal. They've both graduated and become responsible young women who happen to be good role models. Both of them have gone into public service-oriented jobs. Chelsea has gone for the money. And Hillary and Bill told the press that if they did not leave Chelsea alone, then they would cut off all media access.

I don't consider driving 62 in a 55 speed limit zone to be a big deal but I got a ticket for doing so. I had to pay a fine and deal with any consequences.

What's wrong with Hillary and Bill telling the press to leave their daughter alone?

Nothing at all. I think the press should leave the kids alone. The parents made their choices, now leave the kids alone to grow up. They are in a fishbowl anyway. And it was despicable of the press to do that to the girls. I just don't see why RCW considers the Bush daughters FUs...they did stupid stuff in college, few of us don't, but it's not like they are living off welfare, having kids left and right. They are trying to make a difference and they are.
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

gemini wrote: »
    I had the same feeling watching that footage. It is hard enough going back to school, but going to a new school when your dad has been elected as president of the U.S. is a totally different story. I think it will be a huge help that Michelle Obama and her mother will be home and focused on them. Hopefully they will have some normalcy. I also think after that first day the press will (hopefully) leave them alone.

That's my hope too.
    Thanks guys, for letting me vent.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file