Rachel True's New Do

CaribbiAmphibbiCaribbiAmphibbi Posts: 23Registered Users
HEY! Did anyone see Rachel True's new hairstyle on Half&Half? Her curls are huge now! How did she achieve that?
Black American, 3b-3c textured hair. Relaxer free for 2 YEARS!

Comments

• love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    I saw another post on this and viewed her pictures on Getty images.

I think she has chemicals in her hair now, to stretch out her formerly tight curls. Only problem is that it now looks really dry. :?
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
  • susususu Posts: 767Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think she has chemicals in her hair now, to stretch out her formerly tight curls.
    Really? :( I thought maybe that look was achieved w/ a curling iron or rollers...
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    You could be right, Susu. But wouldn't a setting lotion give her more shine and look less dull and dry?
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
  • CurlygoddessCurlygoddess Posts: 287Registered Users
    @curltopia
    you are right her hair does look dry
    but I hope she didnt relax it...she was one of my hair idols (even though I am a straight up 4 and will never really have curls like hers)
    But I love her hair and I hope she just got it flat ironed and curled with a curling iron or something.

also another reason why I am a Rachel True fan is that she is like 39-40 years old and looks like a teenager. I couldnt belive it when I heard it.
    Thick coarse 4b hair. Holy Grail: Kinky-Curly Curling Custard. Trying to grow it to bra strap length. Currently collar bone length.
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,151Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think she could have achieved that with curlers or a rollerset, if I'm basing it off of the looser-curled pics on getty. Tracee Ellis Ross is famous for sometimes wearing her curls looser, and then having it back to normal the next time she's seen. That's the beauty of natural hair. You aren't stuck with a one-dimensional style. You can wear it straight when you need a change, or just leave it be. :)

There are current pics from within the last 2-3 weeks on getty of Rachel where her hair appears to be back to normal.

As far as her hair looking dull, her hair color is much brighter/lighter and that can affect how much shine is reflected off of her hair. It may just appear dull because of the use of heating appliances, dryness from the haircolor, and the fact that we're use to seeing her dark, shiny locs.
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
  • Dijah_xoxoDijah_xoxo Posts: 131Registered Users
    All she used wad a flat iron, a curlying iron and some setting lotion. if you look at the new pics, her hair is big agian.
  • LlorenLloren Posts: 4Registered Users
    I was also surprised when I saw Rachel True's new look -- I think it looks great on her (and I was wondering how long it would take for this board to start discussing it). =)

She might have achieved that look just by setting her hair with bantu knots. Since I'm transitioning, it's the only thing that works for me (other than flat ironing).
    Nearly natural - 20 months since last texturizer. Mostly 3C with 3A canopy and a bit of 4A at the crown.
  • AnnannAnnann Posts: 36Registered Users
    She does look great and yep, she's back to normal.
  • LadydncingLadydncing Posts: 964Registered Users
    Not hair related, but she looks so thin too!
    I think she looks great! :)
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl
    Password: Locks

event.png
  • *Ani**Ani* Posts: 351Registered Users
    On Rush Limbaugh: Rather than engage in the admittedly difficult task of justifying GOP policies rationally, the key to Limbaugh’s success is attracting an audience that actually yearns to be lied to.
  • CherishCherish Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    Hmmm... I think the back half is a sewn-in weave.

Ani, I want to pinch those cute cheeks in your avatar! :D
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Cherish wrote:

me too. you're giving medussa's avatars a run for their money. :lol:

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • Ms. Naturally CoilyMs. Naturally Coily Posts: 120Registered Users
    I loved her small, tight curls. I don't like the big curls. It looks nice but she should have stuck with her natural hair.

Chelci
  • *Ani**Ani* Posts: 351Registered Users
    curlyarca wrote:
    Cherish wrote:

me too. you're giving medussa's avatars a run for their money. :lol:

That's my 2 year old nephew, Mason. He has the fattest cheeks.
    On Rush Limbaugh: Rather than engage in the admittedly difficult task of justifying GOP policies rationally, the key to Limbaugh’s success is attracting an audience that actually yearns to be lied to.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i think the back part might be a weave too. it looks shinier than the rest.

hmm...i havent tried roller setting my hair or using a curling iron for a different look.....
  • jazzijenni81jazzijenni81 Posts: 529Registered Users
    the whole style looks like a weave IMO. if it were her hair, it would be alot heavier...and frizzier...heat alone doesnt transform thick, spongy curls into cornsilk...weave/chemicals will.
    loose 4a, silky meets cottony
    routine: co-wash, add leave in or plain water, shake & go
    staples: elucence poo & conditioners, V05 & suave naturals, jessicurl too shea, AO.
  • CurlilocsCurlilocs Posts: 821Registered Users
    Looks like a roller set and some heat to me. Her hair is shoulder length unstretched in most of the episodes. I don't think it's too far removed for her natural texture to look like that even without chemicals.
    Free your Mind and your Hair will Follow :)
    Curli's pics
    album pw: bangz
  • sdlsdl Posts: 67Registered Users
    the whole style looks like a weave IMO. if it were her hair, it would be alot heavier...and frizzier...heat alone doesnt transform thick, spongy curls into cornsilk...weave/chemicals will.

Roller setting 3B or 3C hair using the right products and drying under a dryer WILL transform spongy curls into cornsilk. If I could afford a digital camera I would be able to show you that it works for me. But for now you just have to take my word for it. OR check out the times that Tracy Ross and/or Rachel True have those larger silkier curls. That's what they have done along with a touch up with a curling iron as needed on the set. They are not weaves.

That is the beauty of being natural. You can change your look whenever the mood hits as long as you know what and how to do it. You don't need to buy hair.
  • MsCreativeMindMsCreativeMind Posts: 2Registered Users
    She went back to her old hair style. This picture is from Fast & Furios: Toyko Drift premiere.

298804.jpg
    BannerAnimation1.gif
    Hair Type: 3B/3C - Medium
  • jazzijenni81jazzijenni81 Posts: 529Registered Users
    sdl wrote:

Roller setting 3B or 3C hair using the right products and drying under a dryer WILL transform spongy curls into cornsilk. If I could afford a digital camera I would be able to show you that it works for me. But for now you just have to take my word for it. OR check out the times that Tracy Ross and/or Rachel True have those larger silkier curls. That's what they have done along with a touch up with a curling iron as needed on the set. They are not weaves.

That is the beauty of being natural. You can change your look whenever the mood hits as long as you know what and how to do it. You don't need to buy hair.
    ITA w your post...but in the case of rachel true...the pics posted look like a weave...her natural hair is very thick and lusterous, so i imagine her blowout would be the same. i used "cornsilk" to describe the lifeless stringy strands (not in a good way like most envision it)...which seem to be very distant from her texture...and IMO weave. i know kinky-curly hair has the capacity to be blown/pressed/ironed straight and im not debating the versatility of it, but it doesnt create hair that looks like rachel's in the pics. that looks like a bad weave.
    loose 4a, silky meets cottony
    routine: co-wash, add leave in or plain water, shake & go
    staples: elucence poo & conditioners, V05 & suave naturals, jessicurl too shea, AO.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    last night someone told me i look like rachel true! i was so happy. well actually he said, "have you ever seen half baked?" me: yes him: you look JUST like mary jane!!
  • GostGost Posts: 12Registered Users
    jazzijenni81,
    I agree it doesn't look very neat, but a blow out with Rachel True's hair wouldn't necessarily be thick, since the straight hair takes up less room. This is particularly true if she had her hair texturized/thinned (with thinning shears) it will look much less thick. My stylist cut layers in and thinned some out, and when she blew it dry, it made the smallest pony-tail! Some hairstylists don't bother to flatten down the frizzies, and then it starts to look like a weave. Then again, it's hollywood. Hair is added and subtracted all the time.
    ITA w your post...but in the case of rachel true...the pics posted look like a weave...her natural hair is very thick and lusterous, so i imagine her blowout would be the same. i used "cornsilk" to describe the lifeless stringy strands (not in a good way like most envision it)...which seem to be very distant from her texture...and IMO weave. i know kinky-curly hair has the capacity to be blown/pressed/ironed straight and im not debating the versatility of it, but it doesnt create hair that looks like rachel's in the pics. that looks like a bad weave.
    __fotki pswd: corto__
    Exceptionally Thick 3b/c hair -- also exceptionally frustrating.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file