Upside down detangling?

love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
Last week, I tried detangling with a wide toothed comb while bent over from the waist in my tub. I could not believe how fast the detangling went :shock: and I didn't notice much more volume than I usually get after it air dried.

Anyone else ever try detangling like this?

Also, I am going to go back to using vent (not paddle) brushes for detangling, because I think they work a little better/faster even though the brush is smaller.
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
"I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
- Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)

Comments

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I detangle with my fingers...but doing it with my head hung upsidedown definitely works best for me, too. What are you saying -- you normally just stand up straight and comb it from the top down while wet? Yikes! Had that been causing breakage? Cause it probably would have caused breakage for me.

• AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I don't do it upside down but because my hair is getting long, I have to kind of hang my head down and pull each section over my shoulder or face in front of me so it's semi-upside down I guess.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    I detangle with my fingers...but doing it with my head hung upsidedown definitely works best for me, too. What are you saying -- you normally just stand up straight and comb it from the top down while wet? Yikes! Had that been causing breakage? Cause it probably would have caused breakage for me.

Yes, normally I stand upright in the shower and detangle with a brush while my hair is saturated with conditioner. I used to brush from the middle of my hair downward and it took me between 1-2 minutes. Lately, I detangle in 3 sections, grasping my hair like a ponytail and brushing from the middle part where I hold my hair down. My hair doesn't tangle on the top or sides, so I only have to concentrate on the bottom and the back. It takes me about 2 minutes, 3 minutes tops. The upside down method took about 45 seconds. I was loving it :D

And, no, I've never experienced any breakage, maybe because my hair is coarse/medium in texture - it is very elastic/resillient.
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."

• beaglecookiebeaglecookie Posts: 150Registered Users
    I noticed that since I've been CW with conditioner and Deep conditioning once a week that I don't get knotted or tangled hair anymore. I always had that knot at the back on my head right at my neck that I would have to cut off every month. My hair there is finally almost the length on the rest on my hair. All I need to do is add [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-SLIP-Detangler-p-46.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-slip-detangler]CHS slip[/buylink] and I just finger through hair. I could go 3 to 4 days without CW and sleep on hair and it still doesn't knot up.
    Hair almost to waist. Brown with light brown highlights. 3b spiral curls. I love curly hair.

One C, CK, Re:coil, Boots , Abba Weightless, BRHG, Spiral Cream, Curls Ecstasy and Ouidad DT

PW- mymia
  • SisaSisa Posts: 759Registered Users
    I used to do this when my hair was shorter.

Now that it's long, I part it in the middle and detangle each side at the front of my body. (Which is how I shampoo, too.)
  • beaglecookiebeaglecookie Posts: 150Registered Users
    What surprises me is that my hair is thick and the length is almost to my waist and no knots or tangles. Knock on wood :shock: Watch me get one today. :roll:
    Hair almost to waist. Brown with light brown highlights. 3b spiral curls. I love curly hair.

One C, CK, Re:coil, Boots , Abba Weightless, BRHG, Spiral Cream, Curls Ecstasy and Ouidad DT

PW- mymia
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Mine knots and tangles hideously when I try to do anything upside down. I may be able to eventually rake, brush or comb it through but as soon as I put my head the right way up it just tangles and I have to start again. I can't plop or pineapple either.
    3b in South Australia.
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    Beaglecookie - You are so lucky! I am jealous of your tangle free curls....

Sisa - I'm not surprised to learn that length changes your detangling routine. I can't wait to get closer to your length :wink:

Starmie - Maybe your tangles are more fierce up top? mine are more of an issue in the middle and back. And as we all know curly hair is fickle with many variations.

• betweenshadesbetweenshades Posts: 130Registered Users
    What surprises me is that my hair is thick and the length is almost to my waist and no knots or tangles. Knock on wood :shock: Watch me get one today. :roll:

except for when I was a kid, I've been then same way! Even more so with short hair, but it's getting longer again, so we'll see.
    Sarah - 3B/C, CG since 11/25/05

DevaCurl and Jessicurl rock my hair care world.

My Hair Journal

tiger.gif
  • CurlyKellyCurlyKelly Posts: 26Registered Users
    I think I might try this next CO wash... Before I started using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Too-Shea-Extra-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-105.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner]Too Shea[/buylink]! instead of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Aloeba-Daily-Conditioner-p-104.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-aloeba-daily-conditioner]Aloeba[/buylink] (only about a week now!), I was having MAJOR tangles every time I wet my hair - some of the worst ones in the back (underside, near neck) had to be cut out or ripped apart (ouch!!). I'm not sure why this happened, but it was driving me nuts - it was taking me FOREVER to comb out all my tangles in the shower, even with tons of CO!

Too Shea! has completely changed that!! I originally tried [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Aloeba-Daily-Conditioner-p-104.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-aloeba-daily-conditioner]Aloeba[/buylink], b/c I was worried that the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Too-Shea-Extra-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-105.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner]Too Shea[/buylink] might weigh my hair down. I REALLY like the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Aloeba-Daily-Conditioner-p-104.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-aloeba-daily-conditioner]Aloeba[/buylink] as a leave-in, but it's just not enough to detangle & condition my mop :wink: After using this awesome conditioner for only about a week, my hair is already 50% less tangly BEFORE I put on the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Too-Shea-Extra-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-105.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner]Too Shea[/buylink], and any remaining tangles comb out VERY easily after it's applied... fabulous!!

So I'm going to try combing it out upside down next time - if it helps with volume, I'm all about it!!
    long (mid-back), coppery reddish brown 3a/3b/3c (a few underneath!)

Creme of Nature poo (love that stuff!); Suave Citrus Smoothie Condish; A/G Re:Coil; Got2Be spiking gel; Suave Aloe Gel
  • urbancurlurbancurl Posts: 980Registered Users
    Sisa wrote:
    I used to do this when my hair was shorter.

Now that it's long, I part it in the middle and detangle each side at the front of my body. (Which is how I shampoo, too.)

That is how I shampoo too! It cuts down on shampoo tangling drastically.

And I condition/detangle my hair first standing straight up, and then upside down, which is also how I usually rinse it. I find it does help my hair not come out so flat on the roots. I also like how I can see my hair when it's hanging in front of me. I can see how well it's clumping and start scrunching water out of it.
    "It is wrong to use moral means to preserve immoral ends." MLK, Jr.

Password= urban
  • curlycaramelcurlycaramel Posts: 472Registered Users
    I know that this is an old post but i wanted to reply, i think that since i've been old enough to do my own hair (from about 12/13) this is the way i've always done it, wet my hair when i'm in the shower, shampoo upside down and put then conditioner on up side down comb rinse then products. only thing i have noticed is when i flip my head right side up i have some small tangles underneath but other than that never had any problems.
    i have a friend who have thin curly hair and she brushes it when she's out of the shower so i guess her hair is damp then puts the products on and she doesn't seem to have volume at the roots i told her about the way i do my hair and she started, it's been looking better since :D
    Long thick curls, mix of 3b/3c
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    Starmie wrote:
    Mine knots and tangles hideously when I try to do anything upside down. I may be able to eventually rake, brush or comb it through but as soon as I put my head the right way up it just tangles

I had that problem too. I tried detangling and rinsing upside down for a few weeks, hoping for some more volume @ the roots. My problem was that once I flipped rightside-up, my hair was all freaky and tangly and in weird curl patterns in the back. I mean- how do all of you avoid that?

Anyway, I stopped rinsing upside down- and it turned out that doing it that way wasn't really making any difference (other than leaving me with a face full of conditioner :roll: ).
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file