We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Baby Hair - Curls?

SisaSisa Posts: 759Registered Users
It's superficial, yes - but I'd kind of hoped that my son would pop out of the womb with lots of curly hair...

When he was born, I was elated! I saw lots of dark, wavy hair. :)

The midwives gave him his first wipe-down (though not a true immersed bath), so the curls stayed overnight due to some of the birthing gunk residue (sorry - TMI, yuck! ;) ) remaining in his hair, I think.

After we gave him his first bath the next day, however, the curls kind of *wiped out*, if you will. While his hair is curly when wet (say, pencil-sized), it mostly flattens out when dry - it's just so fine.

My hair's mainly 3B-ish (a lil' 3A), and Baby Daddy's is 4A.

Any chance the curls will get stronger over time - before puberty? I love them so, and cherish them at bath-time when his hair's wet. :afro:

Comments

• mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Karan had very soft straight hair until about 1 year old and then it became coarser and curlier. I'd say he's a 3B now. His hair is actually curlier than both DH and mine (I'm a 3a, DH is a 2b-c).

So there's hope!
  • sariroosariroo Posts: 1,958Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I would say there is always a possibility of your baby's hair getting curlier. I'm anxious to see if my daughter ends up with curly hair. She doesn't have much now although I didn't when I was a baby either. I actually didn't have much until I was a year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my baby but if it isn't meant to be, I'll be a little disappointed but will obviously live with it. :sad11: :wink:
    316vq4y.jpg
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    both my boys were born with straight hair. DH is a 3b/c and I'm a 4a/b. Eventually my oldest's curls came in and he's a 3c. My youngest is only a month and the hair is starting to curl up a bit now. Alexander took longer to get curly hair.

It'll happen.

And yes, I do test hair products on Lex.
    hello.world.
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Korbie's hair was straightish, because it was too short, and the curls too delicate. If it was humid enough and you fluffed his hair while wet, he'd have the start of curls, but the daily laying down, petting and rubbing his head against stuff would straighten his hair. But the curls did come in eventually.

Here's my album to show you how dramatic his hair change was. Towards the bottom are some infant pictures that show how straight his hair was. Now he has the tightest little ringlets, those pictures are not good hair days for him.
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    Baby hair can be so fine, the curls don't stay very well. I bet his hair will get thicker as he gets older, and might become curlier.

Oliver has the same issue where his hair curls while it's wet, then it gets dry and they sort of get flattened out. I'm holding out hope that he'll stay curly.

My older son seems to have gotten straight hair. I hope it might become curly as he gets older (he's 2). It's weird, I expected that my children would get curly hair. I'm around 2C/3A, and my husband is 3B at least, and Connor is maaayyybe 2A, but more like a 1.
    ehLB.jpg
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    cympreni wrote: »
    Here's my album to show you how dramatic his hair change was. Towards the bottom are some infant pictures that show how straight his hair was. Now he has the tightest little ringlets, those pictures are not good hair days for him.

Oh gosh, look at those curls!! That is quite the change from this baby hair.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    J was born with curly hair, but much less curly than it is now - probably 3a/b (I'm 3b/c and his daddy is 4b, for what the numbers are worth.) Now J's hair is 3c at least. It got gradually curlier and was probably not this curly until somewhere between 6-9 months.

I was born with much straighter hair as well - I was probably a 3a until I started school.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm not super curly (just a lowly 3A), so I never expected my kids to have curly hair. Funny...my kid with the curliest hair now was the straightest as a baby. Actually, 2 of my 4 kids are curly (probably 3A and 3B), and they were straight when they were small. My 2 straighties were the opposite...curly as babies and then went straight.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    cympreni wrote: »
    Korbie's hair was straightish, because it was too short, and the curls too delicate. If it was humid enough and you fluffed his hair while wet, he'd have the start of curls, but the daily laying down, petting and rubbing his head against stuff would straighten his hair. But the curls did come in eventually.

thats how dramatic majerle's hair changed.

when she was first born she had what looked like wavy hair, but it was just birthing gunk. she had bone straight hair that would wave when it was wet but as soon as it dried it was pin straight. everyone would always wonder how she came out with straight hair considering im a 3c and dad is a 2a/b. we were both disappointed that she had straight hair.

shes almost 19 months now and her hair is 3b(?) on her best curly days. it fluctuates on a daily basis though. she looks so different because her hair color and texture have changed so much.

then:
    72007b.jpg

now:
    pony037.jpg
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Xander was a straighty at birth. It started getting curlier around 4 months. By a year, he was 3b/c.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    I think it's pretty common for babies to start out straight. Things could definitely change

My first was straight/wavy until about 5 months:
    pinkdress.jpg

now - after bath -3bc

DSCN1246-1.jpg
    now - styled:
    DSCN1252.jpg

my second at one month:
    cassiechristmas-1.jpg

now - much tighter curls 3c/4a
    playwise.jpg
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs29.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fc252%2Fwavezncurlz%2Fhair%2F" class="Popup
    password: curlzorwavez
  • SisaSisa Posts: 759Registered Users
    Thanks for all the responses... The addition of example pictures was cool, too - what curly cuties!!! :love3:

wavezncurlz: OK, I'll be patient! ;)
    Sisa wrote: »
    Thanks for all the responses... The addition of example pictures was cool, too - what curly cuties!!! :love3:

wavezncurlz: OK, I'll be patient! ;)
    :laughing3:
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs29.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fc252%2Fwavezncurlz%2Fhair%2F" class="Popup
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Yah, girl, just give it time!
    The little one's was like most everyone's recap of straight in the beginning & then when the perm hair comes is......boom!...curls galore! :D
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    Steven has pretty fine hair, but the longer it gets the curlier it gets. After a bath it is very curly, even when it is dry, but it is pretty easy to brush it out.

He was born with very very straight hair, the curls did not git until about 18 months old or so
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    both of ours were born with straight hair. our son's hair curled up at 2 months. our daughter's hair curled up at about 3 months.

now, her hair is literally to her butt and is wavy because of the length and weight. our son wears his hair about a half-inch to an inch long all over. his hair waves to his scalp when it's short and curls up into a variety of sizes all over his head as it gets longer.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
    rainshower wrote: »
    both of ours were born with straight hair. our son's hair curled up at 2 months. our daughter's hair curled up at about 3 months.

now, her hair is literally to her butt and is wavy because of the length and weight. our son wears his hair about a half-inch to an inch long all over. his hair waves to his scalp when it's short and curls up into a variety of sizes all over his head as it gets longer.

sounds beautiful!
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

• KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Dylan is a very weak curly, like me, but I so love those little curls! I hope he doesn't lose them! His hair has always seemed like it wants to curl, but the curl is very easy to brush out. It's gotten curlier as it's grown longer and since I all but stopped washing his hair. He gets some nice curls on really humid days, but most of the time, it's just a couple ringlets above his ears. It's totally flat on top.

DSCN1532-vi.jpg

ETA - here's what it looks like from the side.
    DSCN1558-vi.jpg
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    When DS was first born, his hair was poker straight.

DSCN0260.0.jpg
    This is him on Halloween Day 2006

And one year later, his hair looked like this...

November_030.jpg

He has since had three hair cuts and has beautiful curls that are changing all the time. They actually seem to be getting tighter.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
    aww CurlyKeltie! He reminds me of this little boy who is in daycare with Cassi. His hair is so big and fluffy and he's similar coloring. How cute!

Isn't it interesting how hair changes over time? I'm so intrigued.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

• Runna4LifeRunna4Life Posts: 112Registered Users
    I don't have a kid, I'm 17, but I had been getting relaxers since I was 7 until now, but my mom said my hair was stick straight until I was a year old, then it got kinky. I'm 4a/ 3c now
  • nadinanadina Posts: 640Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    so there's still time for change? at 8 months - her hair is a tiny bit wavy. stick straight after washing. and it gets a little curly a few days after washing.

but i sorta gave up on the idea that she would have curls :)

crissyhair.jpg
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    nadina wrote: »
    so there's still time for change? at 8 months - her hair is a tiny bit wavy. stick straight after washing. and it gets a little curly a few days after washing.

but i sorta gave up on the idea that she would have curls :)

crissyhair.jpg

What a cutie pie! Wow...She has LONG hair for only 8 months old.

My 3B son was stick straight and shiny like that until puberty.
    thanks rcw, she definitely has more hair than a lot of toddlers. it's pretty cool. i keep hoping for curls..... i have heard of the change happening at puberty. guess i do have to wait til then... if ever!!
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    She is so cute, and her hair IS really long!

K's hair was stick-straight until recently, but now it is curling quite a bit. When it's wet, he has tiny tight Os but when it dries it gets straighter. I can see he will have curly hair eventually.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    I think it's hard to tell.

I am 4a/b hubby is 3/c. If I work at it really hard, he'll bust out some 3b/cish spirals but left to its own devices, he's wavy on top and curly at the bottom. He was born with straight hair and it's still pretty blondish.

Ahhh genetics
    hello.world.
    thanks amneris! your son's situation gives me hope for appearance of curls, or at least waves!!!

@webjockey - i was thinking about the whole recessive gene thing - my dad has straight hair. my daughter's hair looks a lot like his actually. but no one could have told me i would have a kid with straight hair for any length of time, even if her dad has completely straight hair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file