traveling on plane with toddler...

deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Q. this may sound dumb but does the toddler just sit in the airplane seat buckled or do they sit in the carseat in the airplane seat? We are planning a last minute trip to see the folks in Massachusetts!! this will be the first trip with Liam

1. by myself and 2. he'll be over 2 so no more sitting on mommy's lap

D
Liam: 6 years old
Colin: 3 years old

Comments

• mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Either way. Its safer for tot to be in a car seat. Its more convenient to not take a car seat.

I've done both and I prefer not to take a car seat. My son stays bucked with the regular seat throughout the flight.
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    We traveled when DS was about 1.5 and he had his own seat on the plane, no car seat. I considered bringing it but we ended up not for convenience sake.
    ehLB.jpg
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    We always take the carseat. We need it on the other end, I don't trust the airline enough to check it, and he acts more civilized in it. Now that he is older, I may give it a shot without it.

We got this thing called Gogo Kidz that attached to his carseat to allow it to be wheeled rather than carried. We sat him in it and wheeled both through the airport. No real hassle and no need to carry him if he got tired.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    DarkAngel wrote: »
    We got this thing called Gogo Kidz that attached to his carseat to allow it to be wheeled rather than carried. We sat him in it and wheeled both through the airport. No real hassle and no need to carry him if he got tired.

We have the Gogo Kidz also, and we were required to disassemble it from our car seat in order to fit it through the X-ray machine. We had the Marathon car seat. It was a nightmare and DH was with me then. I don't know what I would have done if it had been just me and Karan. I've never heard of this happening to anyone else - but we had to do it twice - in Phoenix and in LA. So now its gathering dust in our closet and we have the Radian car seat which is foldable and has a carry bag. I check it in as "fragile" luggage.

That entire trip was just a nightmare. After finally getting the car seat to the plane, it was so big that Karan's feet were right up against the seat in front of him. He kicked that seat unintentionally the entire ride. I got into a yelling match with the guy in front of him who was (understandably) getting pissed off.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've had to disassemble it a few times. I finally learned to play stupid and say that I couldn't take it apart. They just used the wand on it and sent us on after that. We haven't traveled since he outgrew his Britax. I am not sure what will do with his current one.

Oooh, Deedles, best tip I have! If you can upgrade to first class at the airport, do it! The extra seat space is invaluable. If that won't work, the bulkhead seat is nice so that there is no one to kick in front. You don't want to have a bad incident like MS and Karan. Only drawback to the bulkhead is that you don't have the seat pocket in front of you to put stuff in.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    Well, do you think Liam will sit in the regualr seat without squirming out of whatnot? If he can sit like a good boy (mine will not), then I woudl say- check teh carseat. If not- strap his little hiney in that sucker! We must have a giant honkin' carseat b/c it has a bottom thingy that we have to disassemble to get through security as well. And, yes- I have been there with the seat kicking!!! It is horrible! Try to get bulkhead seating so there is noone in front of him to kick. Try explaining that you CAN"T make your 1 1/2 year odl stop doing something. I'm like- I WANT to make him stop. I am TRYING to make him stop. But in reality- you can't MAKE anyone else do ANYTHING they don't want to do. it made me feel real pathetic though that I couldn't control a small child!
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • sundaysunday Posts: 535Registered Users
    We have this:

http://www.kidsflysafe.com/about/overview.aspx

It's the harness of a carseat without actually having to carry a carseat on. We fly all the time and it's so much easier. I also highly recommend a portable DVD player. ;-)
    3 something
    fotki pw: sunday
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,163Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I have to say I have never seen a car seat on a plane, maybe you have different rules/regs over there! I have travelled to the UK a few times with toddlers in tow (and on my own - no SO to help) and not had a problem with them sitting on a seat with the seatbelt like anyone else. Well, apart from one time when DS2 (2 at the time) decided he didn't like planes and screamed every time I tried to sit him in his own seat - he sat on my knee all the way to England, great fun trying to feed myself, him and my 5 yr old! And I won't even try to describe the nightmare of toilets. But honestly, I've never had any real problems and did find if you're on your own that the flight attendants are very helpful.
    3b in South Australia.
  • deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sunday,

I plan on getting that too.. my trip is only 2 weeks away so I don't think there is enough time.. but I think its a great invention..

I have to check the carseat anyway because my Mom doesn't have one but I think I just will sit him in the seat and buckle him up

~d
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    Honestly- you prob. SHOULD just check the seat. Think of trying to get you, him, carry ons AND a carseat to the gate... We look like the Beverly Hillbillies when we travel.... My husband is pushing a bag strapped on a bag, with a duffel or a diaper bag strapped on that, and sometimes a folded stroller laying across and topped with a carseat. We have had flight attendents laugh. ONe said, "Heehee! I have been watching families travel all day. The mom is always carrying the baby and a few bags or so and the dad is following behind like a pack mule!
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I really, really, REALLY liked the Sit N Stroll when my kids were under 40 pounds. It's a carseat that goes to 40 pounds, either front or rear facing, but it isn't enormous so it fits in airplanes really well, and it converts to a darn-good stroller with just a simple maneuver to pop out the wheels and pull out the handle. I would just roll it right down the airplane aisle and unconvert it and put it right in the seat.

0012.lg.jpg
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    I just travelled to BC with DS in his own seat. I didn't bring the car seat because it was too much of a hassle with me travelling by myself with him. He did beautifully on the plane. I brought a little blanket for him to cover himself up with. It also covered up the seat belt thus removing the tempation for him to unbuckle himself. I also found it easiest to have him at the window seat, that way if he fell asleep (which he did) I wouldn't have to worry about disturbing him if someone needed to get out.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file