Wax in KBB Hair Milk

scarriecarriescarriecarrie Posts: 382Registered Users
Now you all know I am madly in love with KBB hair milk. I have been using the hair milk for over a year without any problems until now. I could use tons of it on my hair and it would soak right in.

I ordered 3 of the fanatic sizes a few months ago. Since I started using the milk from this order I have been getting waxy, stringy, greasy looking hair. When I apply it to my wet hair I can't rake my fingers through my hair. It feels so waxy & tangled. Has anyone else been having issues with the wax?
Mostly 3A/Some 3B Thick/Dry/Colored/SL
Loving natural products. Some of my favorites are:
MHC Scalp Cleanser, Donna Marie Miracurl Gelly, Robert Craig Conditionerloveshower.gif

Comments

• FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I haven't used my fanatic size bottles yet, so I can't comment on that ... but .... Did you send them an e-mail about it?

I have noticed a difference in the last little while. I have had more errors with my orders and they haven't been packaged properly. They have quickly corrected any errors and I am still happy with the customer service over all.

I suspect they either have new staff or maybe not enough staff to meet the demands ... it would be easy to imagine an error in the formula.
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
  • ReddishRocksReddishRocks Posts: 779Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You know, I never considered whether or not it was the wax in their liquid products that made me dislike them on wet hair. I'm fine with the Super Silky in my dry hair, but in wet hair... I keep thinking I might like it better in the summer?

But the more I think about it... I don't think I have vegetable wax in any product that I actually like. I'm eager to hear what others say. I think it could be a matter of personal preference too - what's stringy to me might be defined to others, right? :)

17May09GlenEyriecrop-1.jpg

Hair is best when wabi-sabi.
    2b/2c at this length, more 3a when shorter
    M/C ii

Mod CG: Sept 08
    Using: Suave co-wash, GVP Conditioning Balm, Lustrasilk OOC, MGA, BRHG
    Humectants: @ dew point 40+
    My blog for dry climate curlies and growing out a pixie: Colorado Curly
  • scarriecarriescarriecarrie Posts: 382Registered Users
    FrizzBgone wrote: »
    I haven't used my fanatic size bottles yet, so I can't comment on that ... but .... Did you send them an e-mail about it?

Yes, I e-mailed them last night. I haven't heard back from them yet.
    You know, I never considered whether or not it was the wax in their liquid products that made me dislike them on wet hair. I'm fine with the Super Silky in my dry hair, but in wet hair... I keep thinking I might like it better in the summer?

But the more I think about it... I don't think I have vegetable wax in any product that I actually like. I'm eager to hear what others say. I think it could be a matter of personal preference too - what's stringy to me might be defined to others, right? :)

RR this is definitely stringy. On my ends you can pretty much see each individual hair. Not much clumping going on. My hair looked like a stringy, greasy mop on Christmas.
    MHC Scalp Cleanser, Donna Marie Miracurl Gelly, Robert Craig Conditionerloveshower.gif
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The milk is the one KBB product that I continue to use daily--as my rinse out, ever since I got my first sample from you scarriecarrie. Haven't had any problems with it. I'm going to do a little research, I think a lot of the more natural products use wax. Are you still using the other KBB products at the same level? Have you tried not using it for a few days?

ETA: I just looked at a lot of products. The KBB milk, conditioner, nectar and super silky all have the vegetable wax. Only the DM CBB has an emulsifying wax--none of the other products have wax. None of the CJ products I looked at, the AfroVeda, IQCCC, products had wax in them. Don't know where else I've seen it lately.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    kathymack wrote: »
    The milk is the one KBB product that I continue to use daily--as my rinse out, ever since I got my first sample from you scarriecarrie. Haven't had any problems with it. I'm going to do a little research, I think a lot of the more natural products use wax. Are you still using the other KBB products at the same level? Have you tried not using it for a few days?

ETA: I just looked at a lot of products. The KBB milk, conditioner, nectar and super silky all have the vegetable wax. Only the DM CBB has an emulsifying wax--none of the other products have wax. None of the CJ products I looked at, the AfroVeda, IQCCC, products had wax in them. Don't know where else I've seen it lately.

I've been using the KBB shampoo & hair milk almost every time I do my hair. Sometimes I use a styler, WSHP, DM L&T, DM CBB, IQCCC. Most of the time I use hair milk as a leave in and nothing else. Same stringy, waxy ends either way. It is definitely a waxy feeling. It feels like when you try to wash an apple from the grocery store. That wax coating gets all over your hands. It feels like that on my hair. It started when I opened my first fanatic size bottle. Maybe I received some from an extra waxy batch of hair milk.
  • teshonteshon Posts: 1,127Registered Users
    scarriecarrie, I wasn't certain which ingredient in the Hair Nectar my hair disagreed with since the change in weather. I couldn't use the Milk(proteins). I thought it was the glycerin, but I've been using 100% pure Veggie Glycerin in a spritz for about a month now without any adverse effect. I'm sitting here now with a head full of glycerin...lol! My hair is soft as a baby's butt. I've read that others seem to think that the panthenol(sp?) may be an issue. After a recent run in with Hairveda's Whipped Cream, I'm convinced that it's the wax. My hair hates any type of wax!
    3c-4a; Protein Sensitive(forms of wheat, keratin, soy and anything "hydrolyzed"). My hair hates coconut oil and jojoba oil(sometimes).
    http://photobucket.com/teshon PW: crazycurls
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/teshonandfamily
  • Koukla72Koukla72 Posts: 1,680Registered Users
    Edited due to a cyberstalker. Sorry, guys. :(
    Koukla72, that makes a lot of sense. Almost like the difference between the original and a generic drug?? The binder isn't the same.

SC, why don't you just use it as your rinse out for a while and use a different leave in--see if that makes a difference? I've been using both the fanatic and regular size bottles (they send what they have) since they introduced the fanatic size--and haven't noticed the difference. Your hair may be more sensitive to that particular ingredient--or any other change of manufacturer, as per koukla72.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SC, why don't you just use it as your rinse out for a while and use a different leave in--see if that makes a difference? I've been using both the fanatic and regular size bottles (they send what they have) since they introduced the fanatic size--and haven't noticed the difference. Your hair may be more sensitive to that particular ingredient--or any other change of manufacturer, as per koukla72.

I have tried it both ways. Same results. Today I used KBB shampoo, AOHR as my rinse out and DM L&T. Still a little waxy, but alot less stringy, beautiful spirals. I actually have clumping today. I haven't seen that for awhile.
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I have tried it both ways. Same results. Today I used KBB shampoo, AOHR as my rinse out and DM L&T. Still a little waxy, but alot less stringy, beautiful spirals. I actually have clumping today. I haven't seen that for awhile.
    My hair gets that way after using very rich moisturizing products without a low poo and when I was using soap bars. I would clarify with a low poo with coco betaine and see how it feels after that. The kbb shampoo is very gentle so it may not be enough to remove build up.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • Koukla72Koukla72 Posts: 1,680Registered Users
    Edited due to a cyberstalker. Sorry, guys. :(
    DEL2C wrote: »
    My hair gets that way after using very rich moisturizing products without a low poo and when I was using soap bars. I would clarify with a low poo with coco betaine and see how it feels after that. The kbb shampoo is very gentle so it may not be enough to remove build up.

My hair loves moisture rich products. I've been using the KBB hair milk for over a year with no problems until now. I'm going to stop using it for a few weeks to see if my hair improves.
    Please let us know what happens.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Well, today is the best hair day I've had since I started the new batch of KBB hair milk. I washed with LLL green tea shampoo and conditioned with Robert Craig. Used DM L&T as a leave in. Spirals all the way to my roots. Lots of clumping and no stringy hair. No waxy feeling to my hair either. I hate to think the problem is the hair milk. It has been my #1 hair product for the past year. I've used it on wet & dry hair, as rinse out & leave in. I still haven't gotten a response from my email. I'll wait until next week and email them again.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file