New to this marvelous site! What hair type am I?

MarllonMarllon Posts: 104Registered Users
Hello, everyone, my name is Marllon. I found this website through a YouTube video. I absolutely love it. The CurlProducts section is so helpful with the product reviews! I just love everything about NaturallyCurly.com.

So, I was wondering what my hair type is. I'm guessing it's a 3b? But, I may be wrong. Perhaps you guys are better at discerning which curl type I am.

Here are some pictures:

http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/6051/sany1576tu0.jpg

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/5728/picture016photoshoppedgjx7.jpg

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/9628/sany1527lc6.jpg

Oh, and just to make it clear, I'm an androgynous, gay male. I just wanted to get that out before receiving another tiring question on what gender I am.

Anyway, I would be very grateful if someone could help me discern what my curl type is. Thanks so much! :toothy2:
3a/3b
Unsure about density
Confused about porosity

Co-wash/condition: Alberto VO5 Moisture Milks

Leave-in: Giovanni Direct Leave-in Conditioner

Styling product: Clairol Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Curl-Boosting Mousse

Comments

• rdgjd2002rdgjd2002 Posts: 22Registered Users
    I would say that you are 2b with a few 3b stands - but more 2b than anything. I can't see the back of your head which would help me determine if you have a similar curl pattern all over, but I do see that you get a lot of frizz. Also, you have a blend of soft ringlets and waves. I would try products geared for 2b first and if that doesn't work then aim for 3a.

Shaun
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think you're a 3A/B, but it's just hard to see the curls through the frizz/poof. That being said, you ROCK the poof! lol, it actually looks really good on you like that.

What kind of products are you using? There are probably a number of things people could suggest if you're looking to define the curls more.
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • MarllonMarllon Posts: 104Registered Users
    rdgjd2002 wrote: »
    I would say that you are 2b with a few 3b stands - but more 2b than anything. I can't see the back of your head which would help me determine if you have a similar curl pattern all over, but I do see that you get a lot of frizz. Also, you have a blend of soft ringlets and waves. I would try products geared for 2b first and if that doesn't work then aim for 3a.

Shaun

Sorry, I'm so silly, I can't believe I forgot to take a picture of the back of my head. I have this picture showing some of the side, though, hopefully it helps a little?:

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/5562/sany1547ru7.jpg

Pardon me if my eyes seem unusually half-closed in so many of the pictures. They're normally wide open and alert.

My hair is very thick and soft, and I definitely have a lot of frizz going on, and that's because I like to touch my hair a lot after I comb it out of the shower. I'm trying to break the habit of touching it a lot and running my fingers through it, so my curls won't be as loosened. The fly-aways and frizz are also results of my pesky tendencies.

MimsTX wrote: »
    I think you're a 3A/B, but it's just hard to see the curls through the frizz/poof. That being said, you ROCK the poof! lol, it actually looks really good on you like that.

What kind of products are you using? There are probably a number of things people could suggest if you're looking to define the curls more.

Thank you! I do love the poofiness, but I try to change the way I wear my curls frequently. I'll wear it poofy/curly, or sometimes I'll leave my hair uncombed and unbrushed after I shower and just let it sit and dry after gently towel-drying, and my curls end up tightening into small spirals, ergo shrinking my hair to shoulder-length, which I love. The tighter the better, I say. Occasionally, I also brush my hair when it's dry in order to bring out more of a bushy afro look, which some people can't seem understand why I'd want to look like that, but hey, I'm an eccentric. I enjoy looking unconventional.

In the first and last picture in my first post, my hair has no product. In the middle picture, I had applied the Kérastase Nutritive Elasto-Curl Leave-In that morning, it's a definition forming cream for thick, curly hair. Pity is that the Elasto-Curl line has been discontinued. The bottle went for $29.00 where I bought it, and the quantity was 4.8 fluid ounces. It may seem costly, but the stuff was potent, and a little went a long way. I've had mine for over a year and a half, and there's still a little left.

Would you happen to know any good product for my type of curly hair? I have so much volume in my hair, but not in the top of the crown! I lack volume where it's needed the most! It irritates me how my hair is so voluminous everywhere except for the roots. So, would you happen to know a good styling product for adding voluminous height to the roots? Also, I would love a recommendation or two for a good anti-frizz serum or lotion for my many fly-aways.
    3a/3b
    Unsure about density
    Confused about porosity

• MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Unfortunately, I think most of the information I have to offer might not be the absolute BEST for your hair, since your curls are a little tighter than mine are. I'd say take a look at the 3B section, and see what products are being discussed over there. 3A might be a good place to look as well for products, but techniques for 3B would probably work better for you :)
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • MarllonMarllon Posts: 104Registered Users
    :bunny: Thanks for the tip! I appreciate it. I'll definitely be looking into it right now.
    3a/3b
    Unsure about density
    Confused about porosity

• marie.lmarie.l Posts: 702Registered Users
    welcome

poke around and have fun

marie
  • CrazyCurlyHairedGuyCrazyCurlyHairedGuy Posts: 151Registered Users
    OMG I WANT YOUR HAIR!!! lol..it's absolutely HUGE!! I wish my hair would do that OMGosh!!! lol
    CG Since Nov 2008 and Currently using:
    Co-wash: VO5 strawberries and cream
    Conditioner: Suave Fresh Mountain Strawberries
    Gel:Fantasia IC Gel w/ Sparklites(only use when pulling my hair back in slick ponytail)

Follow Me on Twitter~~~~~>www.twitter.com/CourtneyAllenW

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file