Spill the beans on the culry hair event in Austin

I would love to know how everything went. And what you all were taught. Im so jealous I couldnt be there. Thanks for any info.
Jordan

Comments

• MichelleMichelle Administrator Administrators, Moderators Posts: 742 Administrator
    Obviously I'm biased, but it was incredible!!!!!! Lorraine and Shari are amazing! The participants were unbelievable. Thank you to everyone who came!

Michelle
    NaturallyCurly.com
    Michelle
    co-founder
    NaturallyCurly.com
  • kimmyckimmyc Registered Users Posts: 551
    Are there pictures anywhere for us to check out? I'm glad it went really well.
    2b/3a, primarily use Jessicurl and DevaCurl products, Curls Hair Tea conditioner and various gels. I'm modified CG-ish since 5/04.
  • curlydaisycurlydaisy Registered Users Posts: 3
    I went, and it was incredible! Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures though. But the whole day was great. Lorraine and Shari know so much, and everything they say is logical. I am totally sold on their product line. I have never used it before, but now I am planning on being a full time user of it. No more 'cones or SLS for me! And actually, today one of my friends with naturally curly hair was talking about getting a perm to make her curls consistent, and I talked her into trying DevaCurl for 3 weeks before deciding to do it.

I could go on and on about yesterday - but suffice it to say it was life-changing for me.

Erin
    brunette, 2C, 4" below BSL
  • MichelleMichelle Administrator Administrators, Moderators Posts: 742 Administrator
    We will be posting a bunch of pictures in the April 1 issue, so stay tuned!

Michelle :D
    Michelle
    co-founder
    NaturallyCurly.com
  • icequeenicequeen Registered Users Posts: 590
    It was fantastic. I had my hair cut for a demo and am sitting here with my curliest hair ever! They really pulled things together explaining the CG methods. Watching them work clipping, cutting, coloring, put it all together for me. Little things like the amount of conditioner in the hair - I know it's supposed to be "seaweedy" which I thought I was doing but after feeling my hair after Lorraine applied it, I realized it was supposed to be slimy feeling seaweedy :)
    Lorraine and Shari took time to answer ALL questions and basically anyone who wanted hair assistance was clipped, pinned, etc. The energy level was extremely high.
    My compliments to Michelle and Gretchen for wonderful organization and a great day.
    3a Colored, Layered
    Currently loving:
    Cond: CJ Strengthing, Marie Dean, CJ Curl Rehab
    Leave -In: Marie Dean Red Clover, Coconut Lime Detangler and just about the entire line, CJ Rehab
    Gelly: UFDCM, Paul Brown Geletine Goo
    Towel - HG - Curls Like Us

Always use the "Icequeen" method for products
  • sour moxiesour moxie Registered Users Posts: 13
    This is Leah from OK and I love Austin, TX!!!

Well let me just say that I learned more than just hair on Saturday. That was the most wonderful moment in my life. I made new friends and learned a lot about me. I could talk about it forever!
    3b/a Beautiful since I discoverd NC.
  • beaglecookiebeaglecookie Registered Users Posts: 150
    Need more info Icequeen,
    When you say seaweedy, do you mean the conditoner in the shower that you will rinse out? Post Pictures of your hair. I'd love to see it. Gives us more tips on what they said about adding styling products to hair. I live in California and we don't have anybody down here to teach us about curly hair. We have to get our info through the grape vine. I wish someione would do a show out here in Southern California.
    Hair almost to waist. Brown with light brown highlights. 3b spiral curls. I love curly hair.

One C, CK, Re:coil, Boots , Abba Weightless, BRHG, Spiral Cream, Curls Ecstasy and Ouidad DT

PW- mymia
  • BunnyBunny Registered Users Posts: 93
    I was there and had a great time! Icequeen is a wonderful person and it was so nice to meet her! We had a great time just chatting and having fun.

I basically co-sign on what everyone else already said!!! :D
    My hair type: 3C in the lower back, 3C/4A everywhere else... tons of coils from pencil diameter to watchspring

Album password: curly
    Need more info Icequeen,
    When you say seaweedy, do you mean the conditoner in the shower that you will rinse out? Post Pictures of your hair. I'd love to see it. Gives us more tips on what they said about adding styling products to hair. I live in California and we don't have anybody down here to teach us about curly hair. We have to get our info through the grape vine. I wish someione would do a show out here in Southern California.

Ok, I'll try to explain a bit better. The CG book talks about seaweedy so I was thinking wet, easy to run your hands through, smooth, light and flowing, etc. However, Lorraine added a very large palmful to my hair, smoothed it over and then scrunched it in. Her scrunching was very firm with all products. When I felt my hair with cond., it felt very coated, slimy like seaweed that you have in a fish tank and has gotten soft. I can't think of any other way to explain it. Way more cond. and slimier than I have been using. I have used it that way the past two days and scrunched it in rather than combing it throught my hair and had much more clumping and curl. She did rinse most of it out and then scrunched in [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-BLeave-In-p-434.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-bleavein]B'Leave In[/buylink] (a large amt.), scrunched with paper towels (a tip from them - skip cloth towels and use paper so you can feel your hair. They let the paper towels dry and reuse them at home). She also suggested using B"Leave In as a gel rather than Angell for a soft, moisturizing hold. She used very little Angell in my hair but it held through the evening.
    Lorraine also sprayed Mr. Right on the canopy area for many people applied clips and then laid tissue over the hair/clips and sprayed the tissue with Mr. Right to eliminate frizz while drying. I did notice she used more Mr. Right than I previously had when making pincurls for people. Really worked it into the hair before pincurls. I tried the trick the next day with tissue and it worked. She used Mr. Right on most people. I was impressed with it even though I hadn't had luck with it prior to the seminar.

It was so impressive having 120+ curlies in a room. I also met some great people. Leah and Bunny were fun to spend the day and evening with. I hope we can do it again next year.

I don't have pictures because my luggage is somewhere lost between Austin and Detroit. I'm sure the pictures will be posted here before I get my camera back. I'll try to get a digital picture taken this evening and post. However, my hair dryer and diffuser was in the suitcase so this hasn't been an outstanding hair day but still better than before the seminar.

Tips - LOTS of cond. and major scrunching in of the No Poo, Cond., and styling products. She used [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-BLeave-In-p-434.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-bleavein]B'Leave In[/buylink] on most people and it seemed to work well. HTH
    3a Colored, Layered
    Currently loving:
    Leave -In: Marie Dean Red Clover, Coconut Lime Detangler and just about the entire line, CJ Rehab

Thanks Icequeen, I almost felt like I was there for a minute.
    Hair almost to waist. Brown with light brown highlights. 3b spiral curls. I love curly hair.

One C, CK, Re:coil, Boots , Abba Weightless, BRHG, Spiral Cream, Curls Ecstasy and Ouidad DT

PW- mymia
  • st. louis bluest. louis blue Registered Users Posts: 404
    More! More!
    One last comment from me...Lorraine and Shari are not fans of LowPoo. They look at it like a nicotine patch. It just gets your through while adjusting to NoPoo. Several members of the audience were firm about needing 2 weeks to adjust to NoPoo. Lorraine/Shari also talked about PH factors and taking NoPoo and OneC in when having your hair colored. It's supposed to actually help your color more than traditional shampoo which they usually wash it out with. She feels that one washing with sulfate shampoo every 4 weeks can undo everything you have worked for all month.

Enough for me....somebody else chime in :)
    3a Colored, Layered
    Currently loving:

But your doing so good icequeen. The way you tell it I feel like I'm there.

PW- mymia
  • KurleeKurlee Registered Users Posts: 1,354
    icequeen wrote:

It was so impressive having 120+ curlies in a room.

THAT must have been impressive. Glad you guys had such a great time. :wink:

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    wow! So glad for you all that could go!!! :wink: Sounds like it was awesome!
    But your doing so good icequeen. The way you tell it I feel like I'm there.

Thanks!
    3a Colored, Layered
    Currently loving:

• hockeymomof3hockeymomof3 Registered Users Posts: 2,159
    I would love to hear more tips -- please keep them coming! I really like the DevaCurl line as well as am experimenting with the DevaColor. All the pics I see when people are done at their salon have such great spirals--just perfect curls and would love to know how it is achieved! :)

Oh something else I thought of -- how wet is your hair supposed to be when applying Angell? Some people have had problems in having to use a lot of the gel and thought maybe if they gave any tips on putting it on damp hair vs. wet hair if that makes a difference in the amount of gel you need to use (or using more one c under as someone said).
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Conditioner - One Condition
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

Looking to try Devacurl Decadence line next! Can't wait to try it.
    Yea,
    Did they show how to make spirals curls in hair?

PW- mymia
    I do wish they had gotten into the uses of the products a little more with different people... I know Icequeen and those who had their hair styled probably got detailed information, but those in the audience didn't totally get the full explanation.

About spiral curls... I did see Lorraine curling people's hair around clips and clipping them to the top of their heads and then sitting them under a dryer. I missed the reveal of those women's new curls.

I think the best thing about the event was the makeovers that were done on women who clearly had little idea of how to care for their curls. They had blowouts or flat iron treatments that didn't look all that great... so Lorraine had them sit on stage, turned their heads upside down over plastic buckets and poured gallons of water onto their heads to wet them down. She then worked gobs of One C into their hair and applied Angell and/or Mister Right, put their hair in clips and sat them under dryers. Some, like Icequeen, got cuts.

It was great to see women gain self-confidence simply from seeing that they could look good with curly hair. Some were even crying after seeing themselves for the first time. That was the best part for me!
    My hair type: 3C in the lower back, 3C/4A everywhere else... tons of coils from pencil diameter to watchspring

• hockeymomof3hockeymomof3 Registered Users Posts: 2,159
    Awww, I feel like crying for them...that is so neat. I wish I could have been there! Sounds like it was just a really wonderful experience.
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Conditioner - One Condition
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

Looking to try Devacurl Decadence line next! Can't wait to try it.
  • JerseyCurlJerseyCurl Registered Users Posts: 945
    More details, please. Gosh, it sounds like you guys had lots of fun. I am sorry I missed it. I am hoping that someday Gretchen, Michelle and Lorraine do something in Florida. Our beaches are beautiful and our winters are great! :D
    "Wonder Twin Powers, Activate! "
  • cjccjc Registered Users Posts: 636
    JerseyCurl wrote:
    More details, please. Gosh, it sounds like you guys had lots of fun. I am sorry I missed it. I am hoping that someday Gretchen, Michelle and Lorraine do something in Florida. Our beaches are beautiful and our winters are great! :D

I 2nd that. It would be so nice to have an event in Fl :D
    cjc
    3B very thick, curly hair and on the longer side
    Palm Beach County, Fl
    Anymore tips from the show out there??????? Icequeen?????? anyone????? Hello!!!!!

PW- mymia
  • Botticelli VenusBotticelli Venus Registered Users Posts: 109
    Did everybody sit under a dryer afterwards? My hair would be sopping if I put that much stuff in it. I am wondering how long it took for everyone's hair to dry, and how they kept a dryer from blowing it around... :?:
    Julie Benz: "I really loved on Angel when we would do the flashbacks and I'd have the big, wild, messy long hair that was thick and full and that's how God meant for me to look."
    Did everybody sit under a dryer afterwards? My hair would be sopping if I put that much stuff in it. I am wondering how long it took for everyone's hair to dry, and how they kept a dryer from blowing it around... :?:

Yep, they did sit people under the dryer, but I don't think their hair fully dried by the time the event was over. Some people got theirs styled early in the day and some happened right at the end. Those follks at the end probably walked out with somewhat wet hair.

• lushaholiclushaholic Registered Users Posts: 2,180

I was wondering the exact same thing yesterday while doing my hair. Even after diffusing for the first time in over a month, my hair still took another 2 hours to get somewhat dry. I was wondering if she had any opinion about diffusing?
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif
    Lorraine emphasized not letting the hair dryer touch your hair and placed everyone under bonnet dryers with low heat. I did ask one of the assistants and she told me not to overdry at home. Suggested using high heat, low speed with the diffuser and just drying it slightly. Finish with air drying. She also told me not to use the cold shot because the heat pentrates the hair shaft and helps it dry from the inside out. The cold hair would slow down the process.

Lorraine remarked that it took her hair hours to dry and it usually looked best by late afternoon.

I will say that I used a ton of cond. this a.m. and my hair took forever to dry.

We really need another event!
    3a Colored, Layered
    Currently loving:

• sour moxiesour moxie Registered Users Posts: 13
    This is off the hair subject, but still on the Lorraine subject...Lorraine talked about no detergent on any of her body, and I have since been trying it. No soap in the shower, just using no-poo for my body and face. But, she did not say what she used during the day for disinfecting her hands. After work and shopping, I like to wash the germs away, especially after the grocery store carts! Does anyone have an idea of what to use? Would Purell type of stuff work, or would that be considered a harsh detergent also?
    3b/a Beautiful since I discoverd NC.
  • SuZenSuZen Registered Users Posts: 1,595
    I think the main activity of Purell is disinfection from the alcohol content, not a detergent activity.
  • 2happy2happy Registered Users Posts: 5,138
    icequeen wrote:
    She feels that one washing with sulfate shampoo every 4 weeks can undo everything you have worked for all month.

NOOOOO!! I have been struggling for a month now. My hair is just awful. I was just thinking this morning that maybe this weekend I need to wash with a sulfate and see what happens.......now I'm thinking I better not......grrrrrrrr.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file