Thinning?

maebytonightmaebytonight Posts: 6Registered Users
Every time I go to get my hair cut, it's always by a stylist that wants to straighten my hair (why I'm going to a CG stylist next time!). I had a question, though. They also always insist on thinning it. My hair is extremely thick and coarse, but I started CG yesterday so maybe it will start to look healthier.

I guess I was wondering...is thinning CG approved, or will it damage my waves? Thanks!
2c/coarse/iii

Comments

• CurlyKatieCurlyKatie Posts: 82Registered Users
    Wow, I'm jealous! My hair is very fine and thin, so when I hear of a stylist purposely thinning, I cringe. I tend to think that thinning would only be beneficial if you were going to wear it straight. Generally going CG should help your hair to behave a bit better. So imho... I'd leave it thick, at least until you get an idea of how your hair looks once it adjusts. On a side thought/note, how old are you? Generally your hair will thin out a bit naturally as you age. GL!
    2c/3a Fine and Thin
    CG Since 07/01/08
    My hair loves: KCCC!
    :love7: Nexxus Headress Weightless Leave In, HE TT, Loreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss for Long Wavy/Curly hair.
    My Hair Hates: MagSulf, Jessicurl, LOOB.
  • cperl3cperl3 Posts: 89Registered Users
    I don't have 2 (i think I'm a 3) but I was a thinner as well. I've been on CG for a few weeks, and even canceled my salon appointment since my hair does not seem as thick anymore..
    Orlando FL

trying various aubrey products currently.
  • SJWavesSJWaves Posts: 51Registered Users
    In my experience, "thinning" damages the wave/curl pattern. It has caused my hair to frizz (I never had frizz before). Also, the layers stick out in funny directions as if the hair is trying to form a curl but has been broken along the way. "Thinning" is basically layering, but this type of layering does not enhance curl formation. If I were you, I would find someone who can cut curly hair properly instead.
    2-3A mix
    Newly CG
    No faves yet
  • TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Posts: 671Registered Users
    :ncool:Thinning!

Don't do it!! It's just lazy hair cutting, either the razor or the thinning shears. It's only okay if you want to straighten for the rest of your life. It wrecks your curls it makes them look frizzy and uneven. Don't do it. Get some good long layers.
    I have thick coarse hair, and I'm glad I don't thin my hair anymore. It's easier to manage now that I'm doing some CG things.
    Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
    Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
    Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
    LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
    For inquiring minds who want to know:
    http://www.public.fotki.com/TillyErnissee
  • crwrittcrwritt Posts: 705Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I made a mistake and let the stylist "thin" my shoulder length 2C hair with a razor this summer.
    With humiditity, it resulted in way too big and frizzy hair, so I would say it just does the opposite of what was intended when you have wavy thick and coarse hair.
    I couldn't stand it and used a relaxer. My hair has had some time to grow out, three or four inches of "natural" growth since then. I'm at the point now that I'm deciding to cut it or not, The textural difference is starting to be noticeable. I really don't like my hair short, either.
  • Hermoineâ„¢Hermoineâ„¢ Banned Posts: 93Banned Users
    Are you talking about a razor cut ? -Because that is not thinning, it's just a cutting technique.

And If your hair is thinner (or shortened without permission--) when you leave the salon or wake the next day, call the Police. Because, If you are talking about a razor cut-- that is not thinning, it's just a cutting technique. Note: Medically and aesthetically speaking, Head-of-Hair includes the edges (i.e. hairline and nape areas) And especially if you already know you do not have the gene for male-female pattern baldness (androgentic hairloss)—there is a serious problem.

eta: And COUTURE cuts do not leave you with damaged hair or thinned ends (...models wear wigs for a reason) and razoring does not remove bulk. Also, Layering is not a razor cut per se, but you get the idea...
    Hermoine™ (He really loves them, but i so :hate: my freckles)

Natural (Biological) Hair Type: Combination Hair Dry to Normal (straighties, wavies and curlies on both sides) XYZ
    Natural (Biological) Skin Tone: Type I/Fair (Dry to Normal)
    Queen of the Waifs (with or w/o this funky tan)
    http://www.onlinecliniqueforum.forumotion.com
  • crwrittcrwritt Posts: 705Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The hair stylists refer to it as thinning, not as in hair falling out, but as in razoring or cutting out bulk in the underlayers of the hair. Although it may work for straight hair, I find that with my curly wavy hair it just resulted in the hair being more bushy and harder to control.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file