FX Special Effects Curl Booster Fixative Gel - Update

ResRes Posts: 2,911Registered Users
I see that this product is CG. Anybody used it? How is it for frizz control?
3A/B - low-normal porosity - med to coarse texture

Shampoo - GTTTT
Co-Wash - As I Am Coconut Cowash
RO - GVP Cond. Balm, Tresemme Naturals, Yes to Carrots Nourishing, AO Honeysuckle Rose
LI - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cream Headdress
DT - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholestrol, SM Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment
Stylers - BRHG (old formula is my HG, but the new one has silicones)

Trying out - MGA Sculpting Gel, LA Sports Gel, Got2b Spiked Gel, Got2b Glued

Comments

• ResRes Posts: 2,911Registered Users
    UPDATE/BUMP -

I finally tried this for myself. Well this is my second time but the first time I used it wasn't that good because my hair was a bit overconditioned and damaged.

It's a really nice gel. It's almost creamy. It doesn't have a smell... at least not one I can detect. I do get a curl boost as the name suggests. It has decent hold and decent frizz control. What I love about it is it doesn't dry crunchy!

Here are pictures of how it turned out for me:
    http://public.fotki.com/Shantzor/2009/fx-special-effects-/

Shampoo - GTTTT
    RO - GVP Cond. Balm, Tresemme Naturals, Yes to Carrots Nourishing, AO Honeysuckle Rose

• msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    Very pretty hair! I haven't used it in a long time, but this was one of my very first favorite gels when I started here. I always have good results with this one; don't know why I haven't used it in so long. I need to pull it out again.
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • starcrosserstarcrosser Posts: 183Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Very nice! A former roommate used to use this product when she had a curly perm (she had naturally straight hair). It worked really well for her, but then again I think most gels did.
    3A curls, fine texture, thin (it's always been that way). A few inches past shoulder length and would like it to grow very long.

Latest routine:
    Sulfate-free shampoo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather Shampoo, Elucence, Bedhead Superstar
    Conditioner: Jessicurl Too Shea conditioner, DermOrganic Masque, Redken All Soft
    Style: DermOrganic Argan Oil Treatment/Serum, Kinky Curly Knot Today leave-in, Kerastase Nectar Thermique, Oyin Hair Dew
    Thanks!

I forgot to mention I got OK second day hair. I usually never get second day hair. I did tie it back but it would have been fine out as well.

:blob4:

Shampoo - GTTTT

• hockeymomof3hockeymomof3 Posts: 2,159Registered Users
    After reading good things about this gel for a long time, I finally picked some up last night - can't wait to try it!!
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Conditioner - One Condition
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

Looking to try Devacurl Decadence line next! Can't wait to try it.
  • aislinaislin Posts: 864Registered Users
    I found it to be just okay. After awhile I had some frizz issues with it, so I've been trying to swap it. Maybe it'd work better now with my shorter hair though... I tried CK again yesterday, and was almost shocked it worked so well. Maybe it's the weather :p. I think I'm going to pull out this gel and try it again in this dryer weather to see if it makes a difference.
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

• jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes, I like this gel, too. I don't use it often (it's been months!) but the best thing about it is that you can always find it in a drugstore -- good to know for times when you're away from home and discover that you didn't pack gel (or had it stolen by the nice TSA folks at the airport).
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • CurlyLinZeeCurlyLinZee Posts: 462Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I used this for the first time when I was on the East Coast for the holiday season this past December. It worked well out there in the more moist air. Didn't work so hot back here in the desert, but might work for me again the summer when the monsoons hit.

It's not a bad gel, overall.
    Hair type: 2c/3a ii, medium/coarse, desert hair
    Cleansers: CJ Daily Fix
    Conditioners: CJ Beauticurls Argan Oil, Tresemme
    Leave-In Conditioners: CJ BCLI
    Deep Conditioners: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Deep Fix, SS DDMT
    Stylers:
    KCCC
    Holding Gels: CJ Curl Queen
    Pomade: Jane Carter N&S
    Hair Likes: agave nectar, oils of any kind

UPDATE
    I am still loving this gel. It has been very humid and sticky here and I put about a pea size of BRHG with it.
    Here are pictures.
    http://public.fotki.com/Residual/summer2009/fx-curl-booster/

Shampoo - GTTTT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file