Lotion suggestions?

Aries_jbAries_jb Posts: 1,556Registered Users
I'm looking for some suggestions for body lotions. My skin has been so dry and itchy that it's driving me crazy!

So far the only thing that works is to apply oil (olive or coconut) to damp skin, then apply lotion over that. The lotion I'm currently using (Bodycology Body Cream) is fine for this purpose, but it's close to running out and I want to find something better. I'm also looking for something that isn't loaded with mineral oil (other oil is fine) or fragrance (too much and I get a headache), yet something rich to help retain moisture throughout the day.

I was thinking of trying Eucerin, since their products work so well for my face, but does anyone have other suggestions? I'll try anything at this point!
www.myspace.com/littlemonkey0403
3B that is no longer CG, but still endeavors to have healthy hair by not using sulfates.

Comments

• rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    Curel (ORIGINAL FORMULA if you can find it) is great. Aveeno Exema relief lotion is excellent. Also, if you find those oils too heavy or greasy, i like the Neutrogena Sesame Body oil.
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • Aries_jbAries_jb Posts: 1,556Registered Users
    Thank you! I've never heard of the Aveeno one, but that sounds great. Yeah, the oils are very heavy. I can't find a balance: it's either dry and itchy or coated and greasy.

I'm planning on going a lotion buying spree, so keep the suggestions coming please!
    3B that is no longer CG, but still endeavors to have healthy hair by not using sulfates.
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    Aries_jb wrote: »
    Thank you! I've never heard of the Aveeno one, but that sounds great. Yeah, the oils are very heavy. I can't find a balance: it's either dry and itchy or coated and greasy.

I'm planning on going a lotion buying spree, so keep the suggestions coming please!
    The Neutrogena Sesame oil is very light but a nice base coat to a lotion - I use it right in the shower. I think all the Aveeno lotions are supposed to be very effective for dry skin, but we specifically have the Excema Relief one and it really works.
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • KindredsTwin1983KindredsTwin1983 Posts: 347Registered Users
    You can never go wrong with good ol palmers cocoa butter.

Wonderful scent, perfect for blemishes, etc.

Palmers also has olive butter abd shea butter. But I prefer the original COCOA BUTTER.
    Hair Type - 3c, with a touch of 4a and a touch of 3b

Favorite Detangler - Any conditioner with high amount of behentrimonium mehtosulfate

Favorite Leave-in Conditioners - Suave Coconut, Giovanni Smooth and Silk and Giovanni Direct Leave-in, Pantene Relaxed and Natural

Favorite Hair Moisturizers - Silk Elements Hairdress
  • KindredsTwin1983KindredsTwin1983 Posts: 347Registered Users
    Baby oil is good too. I keep a bottle in my shower. As soon as I turn off the shower water and before drying off, I wipe it all over my damp skin and then dry off. Then keeps my skin super smooth without being greasy.
    Hair Type - 3c, with a touch of 4a and a touch of 3b

Favorite Detangler - Any conditioner with high amount of behentrimonium mehtosulfate

Favorite Leave-in Conditioners - Suave Coconut, Giovanni Smooth and Silk and Giovanni Direct Leave-in, Pantene Relaxed and Natural

Favorite Hair Moisturizers - Silk Elements Hairdress
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Kiehl's Intensive Moisturizing Creme
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I like cetaphil moisturizing cream for real dry skin (not the lotion) it comes in a big fat jar.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Don't know what your showering procedures are, but the dermatologists suggest only washing the "crevices," especially in the wintertime. That helps with drying. My DH used to switch to Dove in the winter. He is now using the natural soap bars--no complaints about dry, itchy skin this winter.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    For winter I'm in love with shea butter or cocoa butter, or a mixture as in a natural body butter/lotion bar I got from Alaska. :)

I also really like O.P.I. for a thinner (summer) treat. There's no mineral oil/petroleum in theirs either.

And Target, WalMart & Whole Foods carry a wonderful petro-free brand; J.R. Watkins Aromatherapy.
    http://www.jrwatkins.com/jrwatkins/store.cfm?Store=E4C33ACF-2542-3708-4D6BFDC7F0F83A31&Country=Usa

And when straight out of the shower for my driest areas (i.e., shins, after shaving) I use a natural oil such as Africa's Ultimate Herbal Oil Blend with Ginseng. http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100235&id=prod11827
  • sharon5152sharon5152 Posts: 207Registered Users
    I agree with KindredsTwin on the Palmers Cocoa Butter--they make both a body oil and a lotion, and they're both terrific! I've put the oil on straight out of the shower while my skin's still damp; let it soak in and add some lotion on spots as needed. Nice plus--you can get them at the drugstore, and they're very inexpensive! Good luck!
    3a/b
    Wash: CJ Daily Fix, KM shampoo bars, Giovanni 50:50 Clarifying
    Co-wash/Condish: Curls Coconut Sublime Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI & Styling: KBB milk, CJ Beauticurls LI, CJ Coffee-Coco Curl Lite cream, CJ CIAB
    DT: CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix, Shea Butter

http://public.fotki.com/sharon5152/
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    kathymack wrote: »
    Don't know what your showering procedures are, but the dermatologists suggest only washing the "crevices," especially in the wintertime. That helps with drying. My DH used to switch to Dove in the winter. He is now using the natural soap bars--no complaints about dry, itchy skin this winter.

Really? Never heard that. Interesting...
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • Tzu LoveTzu Love Posts: 145Registered Users
    Aveeno Intense Relief Overnight Cream is the best ever. It's in a tube with maroon accent. They have one in a tub, but it's not as good as the one in the tube. It makes my skin feel like a baby.
  • alacurlalacurl Posts: 1,199Registered Users Curl Novice
    Phoenix wrote: »

I've also heard that, and I almost never soap up my extremities (except for my feet). I am a bit oily on my torso, so I do cleanse there, but I have switched entirely away from cleansers with sodium sulfates. Those are too drying and rash-inducing for me.

Instead of soaping up my arms and legs, I often will use a non-foaming but moisturizing sugar scrub to get rid of the dead skin. Feels great!
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Phoenix wrote: »

I've done it for years. "The Doctors," just had something on in the last two weeks where they interviewed a dermatologist about dry, winter skin--that was his most prominent suggestion.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • maebytonightmaebytonight Posts: 6Registered Users
    Burt's Bees has an after-shower oil start smells good and feels wonderful. :)
    2c/coarse/iii
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My friend was telling me that Vaseline Intensive Lotion Clinical Strength is really good. I haven't tried that one yet but she said in 3 days she saw a huge difference in her dried out elbows.
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
  • egyptiancurls89egyptiancurls89 Posts: 607Registered Users
    ooo i LOVE kbb olive oil lotion.....the best lotion i have ever tried.....and sounds like we have similiar skin issues ;)
    3B~Fine, porus, and really long
    HG's~Plopping and Homemade FSG!! Thank you BB :toothy10:
    :farao:Proud To Be Egyptian!
    "Your head is like a crown on you.
    It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
    Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
    I am captured by your flowing curls."
    Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)
  • Aries_jbAries_jb Posts: 1,556Registered Users
    These are great suggestions everyone! I'm making a list.

About my showering...I use Chagrin Valley soaps. I try really hard not to put the water too hot, but it's something I have to train myself to do.

I've never even heard of many of these! I've been buying Ulta brand and Bodycology lotion lately for the different scents, but it was over the summer, so I didn't need the moisture.

maebytonight, the Burt's Bees oil sounds great! I've found their lotions to be too light but I didn't know they made a body oil.

Kindred and sharon, I love Palmer's! Over the summer I used the cocoa butter lotion with spf 15 and it was awesome. I always smelled like chocolate :)

I think I'm going to have a lot of fun trying all these out, and my skin will be happy too! Thanks everyone!
  • TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Posts: 671Registered Users
    I second mixing up a sugar or salt scrub instead of soap in the winter (except of course for few um strategic areas.) You get exfoliated, and a nice base of moisture already on your skin when you apply lotion out of the shower.
    Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
    Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
    Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
    LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
    For inquiring minds who want to know:
    http://www.public.fotki.com/TillyErnissee
  • cara4curlscara4curls Posts: 336Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    for me, I'm a huge fan of both shea butter and coconut oil for general skin care. All I use on my body, while it is still damp from the shower, is extra-virgin coconut oil - no lotion comes even close it's that good. Be sure to apply while you're still damp though, for it to really work. This goes for any kind of natural oil. Many commercial body lotions end up actually DRYING the skin out, necessitating more and more applications and continuing the cycle. Also consider this, fully 60% of what you apply to your skin eventually ends up in your bloodstream. This is why so many alternative practitioners advise their clients to stick with only food-grade products applied to large areas of the skin. For my face, I use my own shea butter-coconut oil combo and it's fabulous!
    health-conscious, visionary artist in transition
  • BrewCrewGrlBrewCrewGrl Posts: 442Registered Users
    My friend was telling me that Vaseline Intensive Lotion Clinical Strength is really good. I haven't tried that one yet but she said in 3 days she saw a huge difference in her dried out elbows.

I have to give a vote for this lotion. My DH and I usually have cracked dry hands in the winter (I am a nurse, so constant handwashing, my DH works out in the cold everyday) So far our hands are nice and soft, and not a single crack in the skin.

I use Vaseline Cocoa Butter for everywhere else on my body.
    http://public.fotki.com/BrewCrewGrl/

The bond with a true dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth can ever be- Konrad Lorenz
  • noelaninoelani Posts: 665Registered Users
    cara4curls wrote: »
    for me, I'm a huge fan of both shea butter and coconut oil for general skin care. All I use on my body, while it is still damp from the shower, is extra-virgin coconut oil - no lotion comes even close it's that good. Be sure to apply while you're still damp though, for it to really work. This goes for any kind of natural oil. Many commercial body lotions end up actually DRYING the skin out, necessitating more and more applications and continuing the cycle. Also consider this, fully 60% of what you apply to your skin eventually ends up in your bloodstream. This is why so many alternative practitioners advise their clients to stick with only food-grade products applied to large areas of the skin. For my face, I use my own shea butter-coconut oil combo and it's fabulous!

Which brands do you use and what's your shea butter/coconut oil recipe?
    "When you are not afraid to fall, that's when you fly the highest"

"You shouldnt let random people who dont love you , arent there to help you with a flat tire, or there to fix you soup when your tummy hurts dictate your choices in life."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file