Mop-C Curl Definining Cream: Fantastic Winter Product

SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
I know a lot of people here don't love it, and I was about ready to swap it. Not because it didn't work, but because I have products that work better and are much more natural. At least, during the summer I felt this way.
But winter is here and I have to say that this stuff is pretty damn great.
I posted on the general board about how I have been getting great results applying butter-type products to my wet hair after a curl cream. I find the butters keep the hair from drying out and eliminate frizz. Well, Mop-C + Ohm Body Avocado Hair Custard= rockin' curls!
Next up, giving the old QCCC another whirl . . .
por-que-no-te-callas.jpg

Comments

• TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Posts: 671Registered Users
    Wow, this is funny.

I picked this up because several people said that it was the ONE product that they use, that the MOP C replaced the leave in, CK (or whatever) and then the gel.

I still used a little LI, since I had lowpooed yesterday. I used a quarter sized puddle of the MOP C, raked it through, and plopped for 1/2 hour. I had pretty good formation & definition, BUT my hair was REALLY SURPRISINGLY CRUNCHY and felt producty, which I don't want on a lowpoo day! The ends of my hair were sticky, too. Some of my waves looked kind of laquered, even though I didn't use too much or even diffuse.

I'll definetely try again, maybe I'll comb the product through next time, or just (gasp) cowash only and then apply this product.

For those who like the MOPC, how do you get it to work for you? What's your routine, and what products do you use when you use it?

I'm just surprised that it was so cruncy & sticky for something that has the quat & PVP so far down on the ingredient list.
    Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
    Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
    Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
    LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
    For inquiring minds who want to know:
    http://www.public.fotki.com/TillyErnissee
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    Quarter-size blob sounds like a lot. You only need a little. I probably use that much, but I find I use more product than most, because the hair at my crown soaks everything up.
    I definitely use leave-in with it.
    It does dry crunchy, though with my winter method of applying a butter-type product after a cream, I no longer need to scrunch out the crunch, even with mop-c. My hair dries touchably soft yet defined.
    Yesterday was one of my best hair days ever and this was my routine:
    Earthly Delight herbal shampoo
    Earthly Delight conditioner
    ACV rinse (I don't always do it, but yesterday it instantly made my hair feel soft and smooth)
    KBB Nectar (mine is older, no glycerine, but I would use it even with the glycerine)
    Mop-C
    Ohm Body Avocado Hair Custard (I love this stuff)
    Flax seed gel (which is why I actually had a little crunch, but very little)

That looks like a lot, but I have soft, defined, voluminous hair that isn't at all producty.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    Oh, okay, so this is something that you used with product OVER it. I always thought it would be used at the end of the routine.

I guess a lesser amount is better. Maybe I'll dilute it with leave in and try it that way, and use a really thick conditioner beforehand.
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    You can use it at the end, just that you'll need to scrunch out the crunch with something like a butter or whatever you prefer. I have just found that changing the order a bit and using a butter on wet hair (the Ohm in this case) has been working great for me in the winter. And yeah, added benefit of no crunch. :)
    Mostly I think the amount is the key.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    OK, I had better luck with a lesser amount mixed with my leave-in. It was cold today, so I combed, wrapped in a microfiber towel, combed in product, scrunched, and then plopped for 1/2 hours.
    I got much better results, but my hair still feels a bit producty. I'll keep experimenting. This stuff definetely has hold, though, I think I'll get good 2nd day tomorrow.
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
  • curls101curls101 Posts: 334Registered Users
    i hate this stuff, it makes it full without curl definition, i use it because i spent a good twenty bucks on it, but never again!
    Sairis wrote: »
    I know a lot of people here don't love it, and I was about ready to swap it. Not because it didn't work, but because I have products that work better and are much more natural. At least, during the summer I felt this way.
    I posted on the general board about how I have been getting great results applying butter-type products to my wet hair after a curl cream. I find the butters keep the hair from drying out and eliminate frizz. Well, Mop-C + Ohm Body Avocado Hair Custard= rockin' curls!
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    curls101 wrote: »
    i hate this stuff, it makes it full without curl definition, i use it because i spent a good twenty bucks on it, but never again!
    Sairis wrote: »
    That was my outcome as well.
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • kira1413kira1413 Posts: 42Registered Users
    I really like the MOP-C defining cream. I have thick, 3b hair prone to frizzing, and it works great for me.

After washing or just wetting my hair thoroughly in the shower (I don't wash every day), I flip my head over and squeeze out some of the water gently.
    Then I spray DevaCurl's Set it Free all over, scrunching it gently into the curls by scrunching the hair from the bottom up into my head.
    Then I gently scrunch a few quarter sized blobs of ArcAngell into the curls from the bottom up as well. My hair is still pretty dripping-wet, so I plop my hair with an old t-shirt for 5-10 minutes. Then I scrunch in a quarter-sized blob of MOP-C into the ends, flip my head over and distribute another blob as evenly into the canopy as I can. I plop a bit more, then let it air dry. If I have the time, I'll use a diffuser; i get FABULOUS curl when I do but it takes longer. I don't scrunch my hair AT ALL when I diffuse, I just hold the dryer about 4 inches from my head and dry it in sections. When its about halfway dry, I use the diffuser bowl to gather up the curls and hold them closer to my scalp; the diffuser is set on low and not high. I repeat all the way around my head, alternating this with just holding the diffuser over my head and drying. When my hair is dry, I scrunch a light pomade into it, esp. the ends, for definition.
    I am using Deva's pomade right now, but I also use Bed Head's Manipulator. That can go in when my hair is 2/3 dry; it's heavier and stickier and when it goes in partially wet hair, it gives alot of hold and definition and cuts down on frizz.

This is what works for me, and I LOVE the MOP-C.
    3b, with more wave than curl at the top
    Currently loving:
    Deva Set It Free, No-Poo, and One Condish
    MOP-C Curl Defining Cream
    BedHead Manipulator or Deva Set Me Up! to finish it off.
    I LOVE ACV RINSES!
  • FeralcurlsFeralcurls Posts: 408Registered Users
    This was a HG product for me but I haven't been having good results lately. Hair find of looks greasy and limp. But I am now in summer here so maybe it is a seasonal thing.
  • AprilnUtahAprilnUtah Posts: 519Registered Users Curl Novice
    Feralcurls wrote: »
    This was a HG product for me but I haven't been having good results lately. Hair find of looks greasy and limp. But I am now in summer here so maybe it is a seasonal thing.

I've been loving this stuff for a few weeks, but now my hair is flat and limp. I think it causes some build-up. I'm going to clarify and see if it comes back to life.
    April
    3a/b, med texture, med porosity, low dews

Still on the fence with this. I was so excited to use it, but I'm disappointed so far.

I had OK second day hair. Some frizz, which is normal, but I was not happy that my hair looks so limp and producty. I used only a small amount!

I will try a few more times. I was pairing this with an extremely heavy conditioner that has cocomilk in it, and that combination may be too much.

A little dab 'll do ya, that's for sure.
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
  • FeralcurlsFeralcurls Posts: 408Registered Users
    I have noticed that it isn't that easy to wash off your hands. I have some products with silcone in that wash off easier. Not sure what ingredient would be causing this. I low poo so it didn't really bother me but if you only co-wash then you could be getting build-up.
    Yep, I did a clarifying poo and my hair came back to life! I noticed the Mop-C has polyquat-11 in it, which there has been some discussion on the board about it causing build-up as bad as cones. So, if you love the product, just clarify when your hair starts losing it's luster and curl.
    April

• ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Okay, I'm trying this again. Will report on results forthwith.
  • FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I still use Mop-C occasionally. I have bought so many new products that it got pushed back into the cupboard a little !

I use it after SheaM as a leave-in. I would never have put a thick leave-in with it, but tried it after Mysteryflavored had success. It worked great and it cuts down on the amount of Mop-C I need.

I still scrunch in a bit of gel afterwards, but I need gel over any curl cream. I rotate my products, so I have never had a problem with buildup.

If you use too much of the Mop-C, you will definitely get product-y feeling hair.
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
    I did much better with this today. I mixed a small amount of it with CurlJunkie CurlCreme and raked it over some LI, then plopped. Less producty, less laquered. I'll use it again, but I probably won't be buying another tube. It's not so great for the price & amount of $, especially since I HAVE to use it mixed with something else, which is not the same to me as in conjunction with something else.
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Okay, my opinion on this stuff is a little reversed. I am having an above average 2nd day for my hair. Last night it got tied into a scrunchie for work, and when I go to sleep, I just sleep on it. Nothing special. Today I have only a little frizz, pretty good formation/definition, and no crunch left at all. So maybe I will have good luck with it!!
    It's never been so much work to figure out a product before, though.
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Working pretty well for me.....more definition, less crunch.

Thanks for the suggestion!
  • kira1413kira1413 Posts: 42Registered Users
    I use an ACV about once a week anyway, so I don't get problems with buildup with this product. I do use more than others here seem to as well. But I still like it alot. Yesterday I skipped using gel first, and my hair still came out just as nice, so I may be able to cut back from 3 products for styling to just 2 (not counting the finishing pomade) which will save me the cost of the ArcAngell, which is just as expensive as the MOP-C, so that's a plus.
    3b, with more wave than curl at the top
    Currently loving:
    Deva Set It Free, No-Poo, and One Condish
    MOP-C Curl Defining Cream
    BedHead Manipulator or Deva Set Me Up! to finish it off.
    I LOVE ACV RINSES!
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Okay, my opinion on this stuff is a little reversed. I am having an above average 2nd day for my hair. Last night it got tied into a scrunchie for work, and when I go to sleep, I just sleep on it. Nothing special. Today I have only a little frizz, pretty good formation/definition, and no crunch left at all. So maybe I will have good luck with it!!
    Really? You've never wrestled with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] then? :laughing7:

I tried this because of you Tilly and I'm glad I did (TY Katina128!) This stuff is great! I used it with a leave-in and gel on top will have to see how Day 2 turns out but Day 1 was good!

Kira-I'll have to try your method some time it's a good way to use Deva with another product.

Oh and of course Thanks to Sairis for starting this thread ;)
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • Katina128Katina128 Posts: 560Registered Users
    I've bought and sold it twice now. It makes my hair really greasy, flat and lifeless. I'm so glad it works for some of you though. I wanted to love it, but it just didn't love my curls at all.
    Katina, 3a redhead with spirals/waves
    My Faves:
    CJ CCCC Lite, Mirracurls gel, Marie Dean Curly Styling Cream
    DEL2C wrote: »
    Really? You've never wrestled with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] then? :laughing7:

I tried this because of you Tilly and I'm glad I did (TY Katina128!) This stuff is great! I used it with a leave-in and gel on top will have to see how Day 2 turns out but Day 1 was good!

Kira-I'll have to try your method some time it's a good way to use Deva with another product.

Oh and of course Thanks to Sairis for starting this thread ;)

Great, Del! I'm so glad it worked for you. It popped in my head when you started the thread for a hard hold gel. This stuff is a cream and it holds like crazy, I was very surprised!

It's a little pricey, but you hardly have to use much, and if it gives 2nd or even 3rd day hair (an impossibliity for me so far) it's worth it in my book.

Yeah, had to mess with it a little but so far so good, I really do like this stuff. Enough to figure out with this, I've haven't tried [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] yet...oh, the "art" of PJism...

So how did your 2nd day hair come out? Let us know!
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    :occasion9: 2nd hair day people! Minimal effort which is a HUGE plus in my book. I slept in a 1/2 pineapple, I don't know why I stopped this works so much better for me!!! Took the pineapple down and spritzed with Lavender Water scrunched and it bounced right back.

I can't believe there's a hard hold cream, I didn't think it existed! If your hair is fine and doesn't need a lot of hold this probably wouldn't be worth it there are plenty of soft hold creams out there. I'm actually getting a trim today so will have to experiment another time if Day 3 is possible. I really think it is though! For me by Day 3 my scalp wants a wash anyway so Day 2 is fine. I can probably pair this with all kinds of stuff like I do the BRHG. I'm gonna try it with my other puddings and curl activators for extra hold.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    Yay! I'm glad you're liking it, Del.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use MOP C every once in awhile and I get inconsistent results. I think the amount I use is related to that. I definitely use a leave-in under this.
    I am actually using this today and my hair is a little wet looking. I tried to scrunch out the crunch...it's actually soft, not crunchy. (I probably shouldn't of used Jane Carter's Nourish and Shine over this...although I used very little of it...it might've tipped the scales so to speak).
    Oh well, it's still in the experimental process for me.
    I used to get very good results and just adored this product...but then one day, not so much...so it doesn't get used as often. Next time I use it, I will use less of it and not use JC N&S.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
    I am still having good luck with this cream. I have never noticed any glycerin/humectant sensitivity, but since today the high was around -5 F I decided to forgoe any humectants and stick with a leave in and the MOP-C and I am having a good day! The hold initially is hard & crunchy but it works itself out as the day goes on, and my hair is very shiny.

I am starting to think that this is a great winter product because it IS humectant free, but the ingredient list is full of oils. So technically it's moisturizes with oils and not by trying to draw moisture into your hair which is about impossible in this weather.
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
  • discobugdiscobug Posts: 404Registered Users
    Started experimenting with this one today. Hmmm, the smell is a little strong, not sure if I can get past that. It reminds me a lot of curls rock, it's like a twin product to that IMO.
    I am not sure if I like it yet. I had stringy curls, used it under [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink], but I did have shine and definition. My hair felt producty though and it also seems like I'm going against my own rule of using all natural products. For some reason I feel like there is something in this that isn't natural and then I read the one post about the polyquat 11 and causing build up. I may use this as an emergency go to in high humidity, but right now it's cold here (even for Florida) and no humidity so I really can't tell how it will work in high humidity.
    Personally I like the lock and twist under [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] or the komaza puddin better. Although, the one redeeming quality is I may not need a gel on top, more experimenting is needed before I can accurately report on results.
    Thanks to lovemycurlz, she is a lifesaver--she sent me some to try and I'm really glad for that!
    Hair Type-3b Location: Florida
    John 3:16
    Poo: Jessicurl HCC, As I Am
    Conditioners: Aubrey Organics, KCKT, CJ HBDT, Darcy's Botanicals
    Leave In/Styling: KCCC, Darcy's Botanicals, SS
    Favorites (HG): KCCC; spiral solutions jelly; darcy's botanicals, FSG
    No-No's: castor oil, beeswax, glycerine, silicones
    LOVE: aloe vera, agave nectar, shea butter, flax seed gel; good DT's once a week
    http://public.fotki.com/discobug71/
    password: curly
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I had written about having some issues with it yesterday. Well, I wrote prematurely. After a few scrunching sessions at work (in the bathroom), my hair looked beautiful. Less clumpage than I normally go for, but still beautiful. It wasn't too shiney, my hair wasn't frizzy. It was great!

I think if I am careful with how much I use, stay away from JC N&S while using this product, and don't use it everyday (due to the polyquat) I think I will use this more often (I had gone a long time from using it before this point).

It also CO washed well out this morning. I am CO washing more lately and was concerned if this product would come all the way out...I think it did.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
    I thought this stuff was causing the product build-up/limp/flat/frizzy hair I was having, but after clarifying and not using it again - the problem came back. As it turns out, it was the Tigi Moisture Maniac conditioner. So, I clarified again and went back to KBB and everything is fine now. I've learned to use just a tiny drop of this for best results, so I've been mixing a little mop-c with some super silky, then a drop of gel over that and it is working great. I still don't use it every day, but it's great in the rotation.
    April

I think the MOP-C washes out just fine with a cowash.

I used it yesterday, and today is a braid day because I'll be at work for a few days in a row, so I cowashed, conditioned, and used leave in before braiding, and my hair is now dried and doesn't feel like there is any build up at all. I never have with this product.

I've never noticed the quats building up on me, w/anything else, either, though, and I do use CK quite a bit.
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file