Boosting Collagen

JillCJillC Posts: 100Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Is it really possible to "boost" or stimulate collagen growth, or is that just something the skin care companies would like us to believe?

I'm 39 years old, and besides my ginormous pores, I'm noticing my eyes hollowing out like I'm losing collagen there. I just rediscovered the asprin mask, and have been using that for the last couple weeks. I'm pleased with the results, but I'd like to plump up my eye area if that's possible.
2a/3a fine but lots of it. Just above my shoulders.

Comments

• alacurlalacurl Posts: 1,199Registered Users Curl Novice
    Vitamin C (internally and externally) fuels collagen production. The problem with ascorbic acid in skin care is that it's very unstable and starts to break down the minute it hits air. There are other, less "popular" but more stable ingredients that help boost collagen or slow down the loss. They aren't as well known and have not been mass-marketed as the holy grail of skin care like vitamin C has been. ...

My understanding is the "hollowing" is caused when the fat that gives us a youthful appearance eventually shifts toward the jowls and the skin sags along with it. Collagen depletion has a lot to do with that. Skin loses a lot of natural collagen starting in the 30s, and by the time we're 50ish we've lost most of it. :o

I hear that you can have fillers injected under the eyes to plump up that area. Ouch.
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
  • JillCJillC Posts: 100Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks alacurl.

After doing some searches it looks like the psf vit c is pretty popular. I may try that.

Thanks!

Jill
    2a/3a fine but lots of it. Just above my shoulders.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    JillC wrote: »
    Is it really possible to "boost" or stimulate collagen growth, or is that just something the skin care companies would like us to believe?

I'm 39 years old, and besides my ginormous pores, I'm noticing my eyes hollowing out like I'm losing collagen there. I just rediscovered the asprin mask, and have been using that for the last couple weeks. I'm pleased with the results, but I'd like to plump up my eye area if that's possible.

Retin-A and copper peptides both boost collegen growth. If you're noticing actual "hollowing", there's only so much that topical products are going to be able to do though.
  • Hermoineâ„¢Hermoineâ„¢ Banned Posts: 93Banned Users
    1. When used on the face, Emu oil timulates collagen.

2. Less-expensive vegan alternatives would be 1.) rose hips oil and 2.) jojoba oil.

3. A worthy at-home medical spa investment would be the LED (gentle waves) facial unit treatment by healiohealth (avail @ OCF health & beauty Depot & i-Shoppe (see link below), amazon.com and makemeheal.com). it stimulates collagen over time (our recommended usage is 30minutes per day the first week and 30minutes every 5-15 days after that)...

HTH!
    Hermoine™ (He really loves them, but i so :hate: my freckles)

Natural (Biological) Hair Type: Combination Hair Dry to Normal (straighties, wavies and curlies on both sides) XYZ
    Natural (Biological) Skin Tone: Type I/Fair (Dry to Normal)
    Queen of the Waifs (with or w/o this funky tan)
    http://www.onlinecliniqueforum.forumotion.com
  • happy-girlhappy-girl Posts: 208Registered Users
    Collagen = yes (see above)
    Elastin = no
    Mid-back length 3a, red.
    Currently using: Joico, Redken, LA Looks Curl Look gel, BRHG.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file