sheer minerals

tk1970tk1970 Posts: 140Registered Users
I ordred this online and used it for about a week. My eyes itched like crazy and it looked really bad on my face. I returned it and hope I get my money bac. Bare minerals did the same thing. It made my eyes itch, I asked a girl at Sephora she told me because it had Mica in it. When I bought the Sheer minerals I didn't think it would have mica in it. Anyway, just frustrated I wanted it to work. I like the mineral look the best. I wear so much undereye conclear that mineral makeup covers it so well and doesn't crack when I smile. Liquid foundation does that. Does anyone have suggestions on what I should use? Mineral makeup that doesn't have that mica in it?

Comments

• MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    There is a small company that makes MMU without mica in it. It's called Cory Cosmetics. In my experience, the reviews have been VERY mixed. The people who love it love it with a fiery passion. They have inexpensive samples (IIRC, I can't pull up their website right now). But, a lot of people have reported serious customer service issues, not the least of which a strange odor from her products. Most people who've smelled it say it smells like stale cigarette smoke, but the owner of the company addressed this on a forum I used to visit, and said it was just the smell of the raw minerals from her particular dealers. I've never ordered from Cory myself, as I view customer service as an important factor in a business (not just a perk) and the reports I've heard of her entire lack of customer service have put me off. But I will admit to being tempted, since so many people seem to love her products.

You can view MUA reviews of her line here: http://tinyurl.com/7z32oa

Again, those who can get past (or who have never experienced) the service issues and the possibility of cigarette smell typically love her products. But they're decent sized hurdles to get over, if you ask me.

Otherwise, if you determine that your sensitivity is to mica, specifically, I'm not sure how many other options you have in MMU. But, mica is only a "may contain" ingredient in Sheer Minerals, and Zinc Oxide is a definite in both. If that's your sensitivity, then you're really out of luck for MMU, but you'd also have an issue with most sunscreens, too. Do you have a problem with sunscreens, typically?
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Rather than mica, you're probably feeling irritation from bismuth, which is contained in both Sheer Cover and Bare Minerals. Lots of people have trouble with that damn bismuth. I burn and itch from it also.

Try Meowcosmetics.com. They have no bismuth in any of their products, and have 3 versions of foundation for different skin types and the largest selection of colors of any company I have ever seen. They sell sample sizes, and they have an online forum where you can submit a picture of yourself (close-up, in full daylight, no makeup) and one of their experts will help you choose a shade to match your skin tone best.

You won't be happy with the Cory foundation...it's like chalk. And the customer service does suck. REALLY sucks.
  • tctc Posts: 986Registered Users
    or you can try everyday minerals - they have free samples, you just pay $3 for shipping. https://www.everydayminerals.com/

I like everyday minerals a lot ... bare minerals made my skin itch too but this doesn't - it doesn't contain the bismuth oxychloride that lots of people are sensitive to. I also like that their sample sizes are really generous - I just buy the sample size foundation for $2.50 and it's enough powder to last me a few months.
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    nm, I was wrong!
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • tk1970tk1970 Posts: 140Registered Users
    I just ordred some Everyday Minerals sample pack. Thanks for letting me know about this make-up. If that doesn't work I will try the Meow stuff. Like I said I like the way mineral powder looks on me. I don't look like I have so much make-up on.
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Rather than mica, you're probably feeling irritation from bismuth, which is contained in both Sheer Cover and Bare Minerals. Lots of people have trouble with that damn bismuth. I burn and itch from it also.

Try Meowcosmetics.com. They have no bismuth in any of their products, and have 3 versions of foundation for different skin types and the largest selection of colors of any company I have ever seen. They sell sample sizes, and they have an online forum where you can submit a picture of yourself (close-up, in full daylight, no makeup) and one of their experts will help you choose a shade to match your skin tone best.

You won't be happy with the Cory foundation...it's like chalk. And the customer service does suck. REALLY sucks.

I would agree. Its the bismuth rather than the mica. That stuff makes me itch so bad I want to claw my skin off but I have used some that have mica and no bismuth and do ok.

Meow is really good. It's usually what I use except right now my skin is in full freak out mode and hates everything.
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file