CurlTalk

Check out this aloe-flax seed gel!

BBBB Posts: 475Registered Users
On another board I visit, the ladies rave about Hoity Toity products. The face stuff didn't work for me but I was impressed with the natural hair gel. It contains aloe and flaxseed - no alcohol or cones. It does have wheat protein (I know some people are sensitive). Anyway, it is really great stuff - I use the medium hold - and the price is reasonable too. I also like her conditioner.

The owner is very generous with samples for people who want to try her line so justdrop her a line. She'll also send a full ingredient list if you are worried.

HTH!
A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave.

-Mohandas Gandhi

Comments

• curlykeycurlykey Posts: 1,540Registered Users
    I stopped by the Hoity Toity store today and met Jan. She is such a sweet lady. Her business is based right out of her home. She loaded me up with lots of samples!! She totally guarantees her stuff too, and it's all natural. I have not had a chance to try the hair gel yet, but I will post after I do. If you have any questions or want any samples, she is more than happy and willing to accomodate. She has hair products, facial, body, etc., etc. Lots of great stuff
    !!!

www.finelotions.com Jan @ (719)685-1196
    I can't seem to get on her site for some reason today, but if you're interested in anything, give her a call.
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
    Okay, so I bought the ultra hold gel and got a sample of the medium. The ultra hold is just that, ultra hold. I have not tried the medium one yet, but I'm sure I will like it. I think I used a little too much of the ultra hold, but was able to scrunch out most of the crunch. It gave me spiraly curls and definition and lots of hold. I think I will be happier with the medium hold and save the ultra hold for scrunching in on top of products that need a little extra hold. I also got samples of lots of other goodies.
  • curlykristencurlykristen Posts: 113Registered Users
    Just when I thought I had the PJ in me under control...... :angry7:
    Mostly 3A, some 3B/2C fine-med texture/med porosity/low density

wash: alternate co-washing with V05 & soap bars
    Rinse out: Rotate TJ's N&S, AOHR, LVPNG, GVP K-Pak, CJ CA Daily Condish
    ACV rinses 2x/wk (high pH water)
    LI: if I use one, it's usually CJ CALI CJ H&B LI, or GDLI
    Styling: FSG with AVG, AN, hemp seed oil & slippery elm (winter only), KCCC, CJ CCCC, CJ SG, CJ AFG, AOMM & BRHG

Currently experimenting w/DM Miracurls CG & MM
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users
    I didn't see the ingredients listed on the website, does anyone have them?
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users
    Yes, I've got them -- I asked for them via email but they're in my inbox at home and I can't post them at the moment. I do remember, though, that aloe vera was first and sorbitol (humectant alert!) was second, so I stopped reading.

I can post them later, but probably somebody else will beat me to it between now and then.

For me right now, I don't think I'll order it because of the sorbitol. Maybe in the spring....
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fjillipoo.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
    Ingredients:

Distilled water, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe) Leaf Juice, Sorbitol, Flaxseed, Xantham Gum, Potassium Sorbate, Wheat Protein, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol (Natural Source), Sorbic Acid (Natural Source) EDTA, Equisetum Arvense (Horsetail) Extract, Urtica Dioica (Stinging Nettles) Leaf Extract, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Extract, Acacia Concinna (Shikakai) Nut Extract, Sodium Bicarbonate (and/or) Citric Acid.

*unscented*
  • onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Posts: 1,118Registered Users
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
  • jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users
    Thanks, Curlykey, for posting those. Kathymack got ingredients for several other products but the files won't open on her computer, so in the interests of science, I said I'd post them here for her. However ... the woman at Hoity-Toity sent the same list three times. I believe the following list describes what is in the SHEER SATIN SHAMPOO:

Purified water, sodium olefin sulfonate (plant source), rosa damascena flower water, cocamidopropyl betaine (plant source), kosher vegetable glycerin, sodium chloride (salt), soy protein, wheat protein, potassium sorbate (plant source), aloe barbadensis (aloe) leaf extract, emblica officinalis (amla) fruit extract, acacia concinna (shikakai) nut, azadirachta indica (neem) leaf extract, polysorbate 20 (plant source), phenoxyethanol (plant source), caprylyl glycol (plant source), natural honey, panthenol (vitamin B5), tocopherol acetate (vitamin E), retinyl palmitate (vitamin A), ascorbyl palmitate (vitamin C), sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), citric acid (fruit source), essential oils.

Hopefully somebody here will get the others. It won't be me, though. I'm not all that impressed with the ingredient list or the attention to detail (although their customer service is certainly responsive).
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fjillipoo.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
    Thanks, jillipoo. Jan, from hoitytoity, admits to being computer illiterate. My curls have been "falling out" with the cold weather--so I thought I would try some gel. Ordered both of hers.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xxmisschrisxxxxmisschrisxx Posts: 223Registered Users
    let us know how they are kathymack! i value your opinion on these natural products :D
    --xxmisschrisxx
    3a since going CG!
    CG on 10/12/08. free of cones, sulfates, and shampoo! added shampoo bars 1/80/09.
    using:
    shampoo bars (wind blossom)
    condish - burts bees super shiny
    styling - confused and running out of products. TRYING LOOB!
    trying: tweek...barely.
    WAITING to try: Melting Gel...resisting the urge to become a PJ...kind of...
    Dislikes: molasses and CK :( so unfortunately...
    kathymack wrote: »
    Thanks, jillipoo. Jan, from hoitytoity, admits to being computer illiterate. My curls have been "falling out" with the cold weather--so I thought I would try some gel. Ordered both of hers.

KM, I have tried both of her gels. IMO The ultra definitely has a lot of hold. The medium hold has a light hold (for me anyway). I think I will have to try what Jan suggested....mixing the two together and maybe I'll find the perfect hold. Let us know how these work out for you.
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    I just ordered the 2-oz size of both the medium and ultra-hold gels.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmsgiblet%2F" class="Popup - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    msgiblet wrote: »

I was thinking of doing the same thing. Let us know what you think. Would love a comparison to a hard hold gel (BRHG) and a more medium hold gel.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users

ITA. This is one more line I can take off my list of products to try. lol My hair and protein don't play well together.

I do hope other curlies have success! :glasses2:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    xcptnl wrote: »

I was thinking of doing the same thing. Let us know what you think. Would love a comparison to a hard hold gel (BRHG) and a more medium hold gel.

I'll definitely let you know. She e-mailed me and said she was also throwing in samples of shampoo and conditioner, so I'll be able to try those out, too.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmsgiblet%2F" class="Popup - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'll definitely let you know. She e-mailed me and said she was also throwing in samples of shampoo and conditioner, so I'll be able to try those out, too.

I just got home and my order was waiting for me. Along with the 2 gels I ordered, Jan also threw in generous samples of her Sheer Satin Shampoo & Conditioner, Shea Butter Shampoo & Conditioner (scent is Papaya Sunrise - YUM!), 2 lotions and the cuticle and skin repair butter. Plus, she took the time to put in a handwritten note. I don't know yet if I'll even like any of these products, but the customer service is so fabulous it's making me hope I'll love everything just so I can order from her again! :bounce: People like this deserve to succeed!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I totally agree with you about those types of companies. Ok...now I cannot wait to hear what you think of the gels!
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    I totally agree with you about those types of companies. Ok...now I cannot wait to hear what you think of the gels!

Ok, today I tried the Hoity Toity medium hold gel and I think I have to try it again before I can give a fair opinion. It's a really nice gel -- it isn't sticky at all, but I'm not sure it's going to have quite enough hold. I used it today with KBB SS as leave-in, then Ohm SHP with the gel on top. The problem is we had to go somewhere and I was too impatient and SOTC way too early. My hair was really very soft and looked ok but it didn't hold up very well. It does dry with some crunch so it might have been ok if I had kept my paws out of it. It would probably work great for 2nd day hair since it isn't sticky and heavy at all. I'll give it another shot and keep you posted.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I used the medium hold gel for the first time today. I needed to reintroduce gel, my curls were loosening. So far, they are still here. I will need to experiment with other products. I did KBB hair milk, AfroVeda [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Pudding-p-578.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-pudding]Curly Pudding[/buylink], AOMM and the HT gel. Minimal frizz, good curls and volume.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    I keep seeing so many of these newer, smaller companies using wheat and/or panthenol. They must be inexpensive or easy to get. Too bad, as it totally ruins an otherwise perfectly good product for me.

Well, it does keep the PJ in check.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    I think the medium hold would be a waste of time for me at this point, but patiently awaiting reviews of the Ultra Hold Gel.... :)

Ok, today I tried the Hoity Toity medium hold gel and I think I have to try it again before I can give a fair opinion. It's a really nice gel -- it isn't sticky at all, but I'm not sure it's going to have quite enough hold. I used it today with KBB SS as leave-in, then Ohm SHP with the gel on top. The problem is we had to go somewhere and I was too impatient and SOTC way too early. My hair was really very soft and looked ok but it didn't hold up very well. It does dry with some crunch so it might have been ok if I had kept my paws out of it. It would probably work great for 2nd day hair since it isn't sticky and heavy at all. I'll give it another shot and keep you posted.

Sounds promising!! I totally get the premature scrunching. I cannot stand going out with the wet crunchy look so I often do that as well.
    Central Massachusetts

I think the medium hold would be a waste of time for me at this point, but patiently awaiting reviews of the Ultra Hold Gel.... :)

I tried the Ultra Hold gel and I'm not sure if I used to much the first time or what, but it sure had "ultra" hold. I scrunched out most of the crunch, but still had a lot of hold. I also tried the medium hold, but it didn't have enough hold for me. I will probably mix the two or just use the "ultra" on top of another product. I did scrunch in the "ultra" on top of some homemade creamy gel and I really liked it. HTH.
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    Yeah I can sit this one out too cuz of the Wheat, probably a good thing. I've got way too much stuff......:rolleyes:
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.

Sounds promising!! I totally get the premature scrunching. I cannot stand going out with the wet crunchy look so I often do that as well.

I tried the Ultra-hold gel today over a more generous application of KBB SS than I normally use. I think I'm going to like this one more than the medium hold. I didn't find it too strong at all. Maybe I didn't use enough, but even though it did dry crunchy, it didn't look like crispy noodles; it had a soft crunchiness to it if that makes any sense. I felt perfectly comfortable going into work with that kind of crunch and I would normally never do that. It scrunched out very easily and left my hair nice and soft. Personally, I don't think this one comes even close to the hold of BRHG; in fact, I'm not convinced this one will end up having a strong enough hold for me at times, either, but, again, I think I might not have used enough. Like the medium hold, I do want to test this one some more.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ok...I ordered both too. They don't sound horrible and I always have room in my arsenal for a couple of more gels. :laughing5:
    Central Massachusetts

Ok...I got my order yesterday and today I tried the medium hold gel. I shampoo'd with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo-p-844.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo]Kinky Curly Come Clean[/buylink], conditioned with Giovanni 50/50 (I hate their bottles) and used KBB supersilky for my leave in. I used some of DM's jelly and then a bit of the coco curly butter over that. I then used a nickel sized amount of the gel upside down and probably a dimed sized amount on the rest while upright. This gel is very liquidy so you have to be careful not to get it all in one spot. I then plopped for about 5 minutes and then diffused for about 10 minutes. It is drying now. It looks good at this point - there is a bit of crunch as it dries but it is not the poke your eyes out crunch. Also, the DM coco curly butter has a bit of a hold in my hair as well so that may boost the hold of this medium hold gel. I will report back in once my hair is dry.
    Central Massachusetts

Ok...I got my order yesterday and today I tried the medium hold gel. I shampoo'd with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo-p-844.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo]Kinky Curly Come Clean[/buylink], conditioned with Giovanni 50/50 (I hate their bottles) and used KBB supersilky for my leave in. I used some of DM's jelly and then a bit of the coco curly butter over that. I then used a nickel sized amount of the gel upside down and probably a dimed sized amount on the rest while upright. This gel is very liquidy so you have to be careful not to get it all in one spot. I then plopped for about 5 minutes and then diffused for about 10 minutes. It is drying now. It looks good at this point - there is a bit of crunch as it dries but it is not the poke your eyes out crunch. Also, the DM coco curly butter has a bit of a hold in my hair as well so that may boost the hold of this medium hold gel. I will report back in once my hair is dry.

:?: :clock:...........well?......

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It worked well for a medium hold gel for me. I am a bit frizzy but I slacked off on how much leave in I put in today thinking I was using more moisturizing stuff that I could - but nope.

I had soft crunch that scrunched out very easily and the curls are holding up well. I am thinking putting the coco curling butter under gave it some hold too. I am going to try the same routine tomorrow but with the hard hold and see what I think. I liked that it distributed well - not thick and sticky. For the price - it's a decent gel - I like it better than some higher priced gels I have bought.
    Central Massachusetts

• CurlyLinZeeCurlyLinZee Posts: 462Registered Users
    I had to revive this thread--I got my Hoity Toity order today. Jan IS very, very generous with her samples, and I got the hand-written note too.

We love Jan!

I've got the medium hold gel in right now. It's not a good test day for me at all because I had to do a hair color removal test process (ColorFix) on a section of my hair and then shampooed...and I used 2 conditioners, and ...ACK. I also tried the DM coco [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Pudding-p-578.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-pudding]curly pudding[/buylink] for the first time today...so any results are going to be very skewed.

What I can say, though, is that the gel FEELS good in my hand--not sticky or gross. And it's liquid enough that it's much easier to distribute than some of the other gels I've tried.

I'll have to do more tests with it on a more "fair" hair day.
    Hair type: 2c/3a ii, medium/coarse, desert hair
    Cleansers: CJ Daily Fix
    Conditioners: CJ Beauticurls Argan Oil, Tresemme
    Leave-In Conditioners: CJ BCLI
    Deep Conditioners: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Deep Fix, SS DDMT
    Stylers:
    KCCC
    Holding Gels: CJ Curl Queen
    Pomade: Jane Carter N&S
    Hair Likes: agave nectar, oils of any kind