Afroveda Products ... another must try for all the PJ's out there !!!

FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
While lurking on another forum, I noticed another natural hair product line mentioned.

So far, I'm very impressed .... www.afroveda.com

My favourite product so far is:
http://www.afroveda.com/AV-CURLYCUSTARD.html

I have also used the Aloe Jelly and liked it. I'm still experimenting with it though. So far, I've used in dry hair as a pick me up and was very impressed.

I think it is a fairly small company, so don't expect to get your order as quick as you would from bigger places. I've been really impressed with the customer service. She is great to answer questions and appreciates the business.

I got really well defined curls that lasted all day, without any frizz. I used the Curling Custard the same way I would any curling cream - after applying a leave-in conditioner. I then use plop with my Curlease towel and scrunch in some gel for hold. After diffusing, I'm good to go. I've gotten compliments on my hair everytime I've used it.

If you like the other hair puddings, I think afroveda is definitely worth trying. I think it is comparable in consistency to Ohm's SHP.
Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!

Comments

• amy51373amy51373 Posts: 1,205Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm going to pretend I didn't read this thread...however I did add them to my product websites, you know, just in case!
    mostly 3a/fine/high porosity/low density
    Cleanse: Bosley shampoo and conditioner
    Stylers: Boots Curl Cream, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Curl Keeper
    Gels: Volumax, Biolage, EcoStyler, BRHG
    Shea butter to scrunch out the crunch and seal
    Modified CG since Feb 2008
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Customer service seems incredible. Within a few hours, she had it ready to go--but had a question, so she emailed me.

Correction, she emailed within the hour.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh for the LOVE of PJ'ism!!!!!!! I'm still contemplating the Komaza and NOW THIS???????

Well KathyM. I'll wait and see how it works on you....too bad the Komaza has castor or else you'd be trying that too for the rest of us :laughing6:

FrizzBgone how does this compare to the Komaza Puddin'?
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • icequeenicequeen Posts: 590Registered Users
    I still hadn't made up my mind between the Komaza and Ohm puddings for an order and now this :)

Can anyone compare WSP to the Ohm, Komaza and this line. I really need to narrow my choices...
    3a Colored, Layered
    Currently loving:
    Cond: CJ Strengthing, Marie Dean, CJ Curl Rehab
    Leave -In: Marie Dean Red Clover, Coconut Lime Detangler and just about the entire line, CJ Rehab
    Gelly: UFDCM, Paul Brown Geletine Goo
    Towel - HG - Curls Like Us

Always use the "Icequeen" method for products
    icequeen wrote: »
    I still hadn't made up my mind between the Komaza and Ohm puddings for an order and now this :)

Can anyone compare WSP to the Ohm, Komaza and this line. I really need to narrow my choices...

FrizzBgone loves them all, but she the worst enabler of us all, LOL!!

Del, as I told you--I used the Kozama Coconut Pudding without realizing it had the castor oil. It wreaked havoc on my hair. I suspect if you like the others, you'll like this one.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Why did I read this? I took the dosha test and everything. Kathymack, talk to me about the fragrance -- type, strength, etc? Thanks
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    Why did I read this? I took the dosha test and everything. Kathymack, talk to me about the fragrance -- type, strength, etc? Thanks

Got the email that mine is ready to ship. Hopefully, I'll be able to let you know in a few days. I've liked what the Ayurvedic herbs did for my hair in the Fall, so I've been looking at these products since FBG told me she was getting them. I ordered four things, the curly custard, mask, hemp seed twist and lock and whipped gelly. My free sample is the hair milk. I'm just shameless--what can I say? I was careful, there were a few products with castor oil.

At least FBG and Amy are saving me a spot in pj hell on another thread, SSB will you be joining us?
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    icequeen wrote: »

Let's see ... .I have all of those lines :laughing8:

The Curly Custard is most similar to Ohm's SHP. The Aloe Jelly would be closer to WSP, but the WSP has more hold ... I think ... I'm still experimenting with the Afroveda Jelly. The Aloe Jelly reminds me of Hairveda.

The Komaza hold and results are the same as the Curly Custard and the SHP, but the texture is slightly different.

As for results, I'd say the Komaza, SHP and Curly Custard are all a tie for #1, with the WSP a very close 2nd. I don't have a problem with any of the ingredients. Castor oil seems to agree with my hair.

Too funny .... I did the dosha test as well !!! The fragrances are very mild.

I do think it is worth e-mailing her for recommendations though ... and be patient for a reply. Once I got a reply within the hour, but the 2nd time it took almost a week. She had been out of town.

Didn't exactly narrow it down for you did I !!!

ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I LOVE her products! Her service is exemplary-she is so sweet :). I've been using the custard and the gelly for a few weeks, as well as the shea-amla butter. The products work really well with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]. I also have a sample of the Kissi Seed Lotion, and it is a wonderful leave-in. I use the Hibiscus hair oil-not sure of the name-every other night on my scalp, and it immediately stopped the itching I get post-henna. I will definitely be reordering, and trying some of the other items as well. Oh-they smell fantastic, too!

eta: I have FBG to thank for giving me the site awhile ago-I was wondering when you would have a review up for me to comment on, lol...
  • starg2008starg2008 Posts: 219Registered Users
    :lurk:. Call the owner so she can get ready lol. I have to pass this up. You ladies enjoy. But i can still lurk.
  • TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Posts: 671Registered Users
    Good Lord Ladies!! I am going to have to stop reading these threads!!! So many things that I want to try! I was just introduced to the Afrokinks website and that is just DANGEROUS especially with their 15% off coupon.

I'm going to step away now...
    Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
    Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
    Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
    LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
    For inquiring minds who want to know:
    http://www.public.fotki.com/TillyErnissee
    At least FBG and Amy are saving me a spot in pj hell on another thread, SSB will you be joining us?
    What's the thread name?
    I bookmarked the site, but I'll hold off purchasing. I get product confusion if I use to many. I still have the Donna Marie coming and I want to use those for at least a month.
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    What's the thread name?
    I bookmarked the site, but I'll hold off purchasing. I get product confusion if I use to many. I still have the Donna Marie coming and I want to use those for at least a month.

I didn't remember if it was the Ohm, Kozama or this one:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=64341
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Glad I missed it. I never bought from Afrokinks so I wasn't paying attention
    comic-p.jpg

I also forgot-- for all you 'poo bar users, I have been using this one (good size,inexpensive), and it's another quality bar to try-moisturizing, but nothing weighing down my hair:

Carrot & Rice Bran Shampoo Bar
    Carrot seed oil is great for delivering vital herbs and essential oils to the hair shaft, and is known to
    promote the growth of new hair as well as strengthen and moisturize damaged hair. There is also
    plenty of Beta Carotene to drench thirsty hair with Vitamin A. We created this shampoo bar using our
    own blend of Ayurvedic herbs and pure essential oils in a base of carrot, rice bran, palm, unrefined shea
    butter and olive oil to produce the finest Ayurvedic shampoo bars available
    Glad I missed it. I never bought from Afrokinks so I wasn't paying attention

I hadn't bought from them either until FrizzBGone posted that 25% off code. She's good at knowing how to get me to buy something!! :laughing8:
  • krispykrispy Posts: 320Registered Users
    Ohhhhhhh nooooooooo!!!!!!! I decided to check out the site, hoping either the prices were too high, or that they wouldn't take PayPal. Well, wrong on both those accounts, so I guess that means i have to order something, right???
    :laughing6:
    2c/3a

Worrying doesn't take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace

Best combo so far:
    SheaMosture Curl and shine milk , Ouidad heat and humidity gel
    krispy wrote: »
    Ohhhhhhh nooooooooo!!!!!!! I decided to check out the site, hoping either the prices were too high, or that they wouldn't take PayPal. Well, wrong on both those accounts, so I guess that means i have to order something, right???
    :laughing6:

Seems like karma to me! Actually, I think the website says that they are closed this week. I ordered mine on Saturday and the label was printed that day. I hope it means that it will go out, even though they are closed. If so, you could wait to hear more, but you take the chance that the rest of the curlies will beat you to everything, LOL!!
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kinks74Kinks74 Posts: 394Registered Users
    Thanks for the reviews...just got more [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink], so I really don't need this, but what does the curly custard smell like and what's the drying time like?
    Kinks, kinks and more kinks :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Goodies: KBB Hair Mask, KBB Deep Condish, JC WDT, Oyin Juices & Berries, Oyin Shine & Define, Oyin Whipped Pudding
    Faves & Raves: Oyin Juices & Berries, KBB Deep Condish, JC WDT, CBSS WSHP, KCCC, Henna :love4:
    Not so Goodies: Proteins & heavy oils...
    Current Challenge: kinky & twisted! (ahem, two-strand twisted) :toothy7:
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    FBG, you've been enabling for a good month now, it seems. I am afraid to even click on that link.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • melaniesusanmelaniesusan Posts: 948Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    [quote=FrizzBgone;825295As for results, I'd say the Komaza, SHP and Curly Custard are all a tie for #1, with the WSP a very close 2nd. I don't have a problem with any of the ingredients. Castor oil seems to agree with my hair.
    [/quote]

I also haven't had any trouble with the castor oil in the Komaza pudding. The only issue I had with it was hold: only BRHG gave me enough hold when layered on top. My other fave gels (mop top, HESMU) didn't work.

But having just ordered a full bottle of both the Komaza pudding and the Ohm pudding from Afrokinks, I think I might have to slow down for a little while before ordering this too...otherwise, I'll have to join some kind of group for PJ addiction:

"my name is [x] and I'm a product junkie"
    hair type: 2B/3A
    low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
    condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab
    winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
    summer/fall styling: CJ CCCC lite + CIAB + Curl Queen
    http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
    Got my products yesterday. I used all Afroveda today (Nu Milk Neroli Goat Milk Moisturizing Lotion, Curly Custard and PUR Whipped Gelly--Hair Gel) and it was a little too much. Will need to experiment with the products individually. They do not have scent added, they smell like what's in them--for those of you who are scent sensitive. If anyone's interested, I'll add some of these to my swap board samples.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    kathymack wrote: »
    Got my products yesterday. I used all Afroveda today (Nu Milk Neroli Goat Milk Moisturizing Lotion, Curly Custard and PUR Whipped Gelly--Hair Gel) and it was a little too much. Will need to experiment with the products individually. They do not have scent added, they smell like what's in them--for those of you who are scent sensitive. If anyone's interested, I'll add some of these to my swap board samples.
    Hi There :)
    I think you may have put too many products together. I have used the custard and whipped gelly together; they have worked really well for me. Because you don't need as much hold as I do, I'd be tempted to use the custard and/or gelly on their own. You could scrunch in a light hold gel if you wanted a little extra hold.

I got the sample of the Shea Alma Butter and love it as well. I was stopped by strangers while shopping the other day. They wanted to know what I had in my hair that gave me the curls without the frizz. I had used KBB Nectar as leave-in, Custard and a small amount of Gelly. I love the Shea Alma Butter to scrunch in on either 2nd day hair (yes I got 2nd day hair with these products !!!) or I use it mid-day. The butter makes my hair feel incredibly soft, but also gives me hold and volume.

The customer service is amazing. I had sent an e-mail to Mala - never expecting a response until next week at the earliest. I received one today, New Year's Day.

If you have a tendency to be over-conditioned, you would have to go easy on the lotions and butters. If you like the extra moisture, I'd highly recommend them.

Happy New Year everyone
    :occasion9:
    I have to tell you, I adore all of the AV products. Today, I used her 'poo bar, no conditioner, light acv rinse, although I didn't feel it was necessary. No problem detangling at all. I applied a small amount of the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Pudding-p-578.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-pudding]curly pudding[/buylink] followed by an even smaller amount of the whipped jelly. NO [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] OR GEL. My hair is not quite as defined as with a gel, but it's smooth, curly/wavy combo, has body and shine. I love the shea amla butter on dry hair as well. Good stuff!
  • discobugdiscobug Posts: 404Registered Users
    Okay, so now that I'm totally tempted to try these other ones.....which one has the most hold? Looking for something with a little more hold than [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]. I love the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink], but the price...eeeek and I'm down to half a tub so I will need to order something by the end of the month!
    Can you spell out the full names too? What is OHM? Help? Anyone? :confused1:
    Hair Type-3b Location: Florida
    John 3:16
    Poo: Jessicurl HCC, As I Am
    Conditioners: Aubrey Organics, KCKT, CJ HBDT, Darcy's Botanicals
    Leave In/Styling: KCCC, Darcy's Botanicals, SS
    Favorites (HG): KCCC; spiral solutions jelly; darcy's botanicals, FSG
    No-No's: castor oil, beeswax, glycerine, silicones
    LOVE: aloe vera, agave nectar, shea butter, flax seed gel; good DT's once a week
    http://public.fotki.com/discobug71/
    password: curly
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    discobug wrote: »
    Okay, so now that I'm totally tempted to try these other ones.....which one has the most hold? Looking for something with a little more hold than [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]. I love the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink], but the price...eeeek and I'm down to half a tub so I will need to order something by the end of the month!
    http://www.goingohm.com/ :D
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    La La La I can't see this thread La La La :hiding:

We all know I'm going to end up placing an order before the weekend is up.
  • OperaCurlsOperaCurls Posts: 1,101Registered Users
    Dang, it's a good thing I'm broke... these products look so yummy!
    http://public.fotki.com/opera-curls/ (I cut my own hair)
    Pacific Northwest girl, color-treated fine 3B, med-low porosity

Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
    I LOVE HENNA!
    Thanks Del! This thread is cracking me UP!
    I am broke at the moment too, so it will have to wait. I will book mark it! :toothy8:
    LOVE: aloe vera, agave nectar, shea butter, flax seed gel; good DT's once a week
    DEL2C wrote: »
    discobug wrote: »
    http://www.goingohm.com/ :D
    Which OHM product is the best for hold?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file