Products for volume for fine hair?

natural2anatural2a Posts: 154Registered Users
What products have worked (and not worked) to add volume to fine, wavy hair? What should I look for?
baby-fine 2a wavy hair
growing out my bangs and short layers

Current routine, every day:
Mastey Traite shampoo
Mastey Frehair conditioner
pink Boots curl creme (TINY amount)
Aura Lemongrass Mousse
scrunch with Curls Like Us Curl Cloth
diffuse
air dry
scrunch out the crunch

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When I switched from nopoo to soap/shampoo bars it added incredible volume to my fine hair.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • natural2anatural2a Posts: 154Registered Users
    Your hair is so nice....and you really don't look like you have fine hair at all :)

Poo bars, eh? Any recs of which one to try first?
    baby-fine 2a wavy hair
    growing out my bangs and short layers

Current routine, every day:
    Mastey Traite shampoo
    Mastey Frehair conditioner
    pink Boots curl creme (TINY amount)
    Aura Lemongrass Mousse
    scrunch with Curls Like Us Curl Cloth
    diffuse
    air dry
    scrunch out the crunch
    My hair has always been fine. When I was younger, there was a lot of it. With age and medication, that's no longer the case. I'll pm you, but you should do some research about the soap/shampoo bars. There are lots of threads.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kitten59kitten59 Posts: 68Registered Users
    Since going CG 1.5 months ago, my hair has exploded. And I have very fine hair. The pic in my avatar is from a year ago and my hair was plastered to my head (I was a 'cone head loading up on the serums and stuff). Since I started using various gels and curl creams, I look like I have a hell of alot more hair than I do. Today I used mousse under gel and it was almost TOO much! So I think it's the products you use and maybe drying techniques. I diffuse upside down and when I flip over, my hair is huge before it settles down a bit. I have a sample of Kathy Mack's soap coming, which I'm very excited to try! I'm also planning on ordering full sized bars- she's got some super yummy looking ones ;)
    CG for 1.5 months
    Wavy + curly
    Products I'm rotating:
    Suave, Vo5, ACV w/honey, Giovanni Tea Tree, Giovanni 50/50
    Leave-ins- KCKT, Bioinfusion Cond. Balm, Biosilk Smoothing Balm, Giovanni DLI
    LOOB, KCSS

Protein DT: Joico K-Pak

Playing with:
    Loma Imply, KBBSS, KBHN, shampoo bars from KM
    KCCC, CBSS WSHP, DM Lock + Twist, DM Coco Curly

http://public.fotki.com/kitten59/
    Ok, I just decided to remove mousse from my lineup. I get tons of volume but my hair feels kinda dry :goofy:. Now I remember why I never liked it before CG either!
    CG for 1.5 months
    Wavy + curly
    Products I'm rotating:
    LOOB, KCSS

Playing with:

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I find that mousse gives me volume. I like joiwhip, paul mitchell, and clairol 3 in 1 (I have the pink can). Also, Paul Brown Goo gives me decent volume.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    Hmm...Paul Brown is a homeboy. I went clubbing with him in the 80's (what I remember of it, lol!).He has salons and schools all over the island. Is his goo really good? Could I use it as a finishing scrunch for extra hold? Thanks!!
    CG for 1.5 months
    Wavy + curly
    Products I'm rotating:
    LOOB, KCSS

Playing with:

kitten59 wrote: »
    Hmm...Paul Brown is a homeboy. I went clubbing with him in the 80's (what I remember of it, lol!).He has salons and schools all over the island. Is his goo really good? Could I use it as a finishing scrunch for extra hold? Thanks!!

Goo is a great product. A lot of curlies mix it with their gel for extra hold. It's so "stiff," it's hard to apply by itself. Most use "oilier" products to scrunch--KBB cream/butter, JC N & S or my current favorite Ohm Hair Custard.

As I recall, the goo is good for volume.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ok Kathy, twist my arm. It is my mission to get some Goo today.Finally, a product that I can buy locally! Beauty supply stores here are....practically non-existant. Not even a Sally's! There's a Trade Secret, but it's not that great. I've been using Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter to sometimes scrunch the crunch with ok results. Looks like I need that JC N&S I spotted at the vitamin shoppe, afterall. Man, you are BIG on custards, Kathy! So the Ohm is a must have, you think? Is it better than [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink], which I just got in the mail? Just say the word, my trigger finger is itching :p
    CG for 1.5 months
    Wavy + curly
    Products I'm rotating:
    LOOB, KCSS

Playing with:

kitten59 wrote: »
    Ok Kathy, twist my arm. It is my mission to get some Goo today.Finally, a product that I can buy locally! Beauty supply stores here are....practically non-existant. Not even a Sally's! There's a Trade Secret, but it's not that great. I've been using Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter to sometimes scrunch the crunch with ok results. Looks like I need that JC N&S I spotted at the vitamin shoppe, afterall. Man, you are BIG on custards, Kathy! So the Ohm is a must have, you think? Is it better than [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink], which I just got in the mail? Just say the word, my trigger finger is itching :p

Don't want to guano the thread, but I want to explain before you do too much damage. The CD products aren't what they were originally. She's changed things up since going "public." Doesn't use the same quality ingredients, check for mineral oil, etc. I found the JC N & S way too greasy for my hair, don't know how I'd feel now that I'm using the Ohm Hair Custard--which is more like a butter and not a custard. When I first opened it, I thought it was too greasy--but my hair absorbed it. That didn't happen with the N & S. The Ohm is not a curl enhancer, it's very different than the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]. [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] is an incredible product. I do like the curl custards though. I can't use the products with the castor oil, so the Ohm and Kozama puddings are out for me.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    In regards to Goo I will sometimes mix it with it aloe liquid (not gel) to help it apply. I have found that I have a liquidy type gel in my hair already I have learned I can get it distributed ok. I really just focus on my root area with and then finish on the ends. I really like the Goo. I stop using it because I have so many products and then I pull it out again and remember how much I like it. Lately I have been using it with the Ohm Aloe gel with really good results.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    Ok, mom gets the CD hair butter, lol!! It won't matter, her hair is totally fried from bleaching :-P. But back to the topic of volume! I got a ton of it from [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] today, even at the crown! Wow!! To say I am in love is an understatement. I'm going to add the Goo tomorrow- thank you for the tip about thinning it out!
    CG for 1.5 months
    Wavy + curly
    Products I'm rotating:
    LOOB, KCSS

Playing with:

• melaniesusanmelaniesusan Posts: 948Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    natural2a wrote: »
    What products have worked (and not worked) to add volume to fine, wavy hair? What should I look for?

Ouidad playcurl volumizing conditioner. I actually don't like a lot of volume, because I am petite and have a small face and my hair overwhelms me when it gets to big. This conditioner gave me great curls but way too much volume for my taste, so I returned it and exchanged it for a different Ouidad conditioner.

It has wheat protein in it + one cone, but I'm pretty sure it's a a water soluble cone.

http://www.ouidad.com/shop_product.asp?p_id=91500&dept_id=14
    hair type: 2B/3A
    low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
    condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab
    winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
    summer/fall styling: CJ CCCC lite + CIAB + Curl Queen
    http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
  • KarenRB53KarenRB53 Posts: 355Registered Users
    Any suggestions for a finishing cream (for dry hair) that volumizes??
    3b, fine textured,thin and normal to high porosity.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file