Mixing Dyes?

hxpehxpe Registered Users Posts: 7
hey girls,
i bought a dark brown revlon colorist and a loreal deep burgundy color yesterday and i want to mix them in order to get a dark brown with burgundy tints in them.
im not sure as to how i should go mixing it though since ive never actually mixed two dyes before.
does anyone have experience mixing dyes?

Comments

• FallOutCurlFallOutCurl Registered Users Posts: 339 Curl Novice
    not sure how well this would work but maybe if you were to do the hair you wanted done in the tints first, and wrap the hair in foil while processing and continuing to dye the rest of the hair the brown without foil leave on hair for the allotted time and rinse. Making sure you rinse the hair then remove the foil and continue rinsing and following the instructions on the packs. This is what I would do, maybe get someone to help you.

• CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    I would not recommend mixing two different brands or formulas of color. They may have different chemicals that could react and damage your hair. It would be best to choose 2 colors in the same line. Then you just mix them! :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • hxpehxpe Registered Users Posts: 7
    hmm yeah thats what im afraid of but i already bought the dyes and the color i want for the tint, they dont have it in the other brand. ugh i dunno im just gonna go for it and see what happens. i just dont know how to approach mixing them
    but the foil ting seems like a good idea.
    any one else?
    if you were to mix them, would you just throw all the contents in a bowl or should i use partial of some?
  • buffiebuffie Registered Users Posts: 184
    It's probably a very bad idea to mix both in the same container regardless of whether you use all or some of the product. You really are asking for a nightmare if you do that.

If you want a specific color highlight or tint, you could color with the brown and wait for a few days and then paint the burgundy color on with a brush in the areas you want them.
    "How can I control my life when I can't control my hair?" - from a t-shirt my brother gave me years ago. I loved it!

Have discovered I cannot live without KCCC and plopping. Always knew that I was dependant on my diffuser.
    buffie wrote: »
    It's probably a very bad idea to mix both in the same container regardless of whether you use all or some of the product. You really are asking for a nightmare if you do that.

If you want a specific color highlight or tint, you could color with the brown and wait for a few days and then paint the burgundy color on with a brush in the areas you want them.
    Since you can't get both colors in the same brand, I was just going to suggest the same thing! :) ^^
    thanks for the help everyone :toothy8:
    im gonna have one of my really good friends come over tomorrow and i guess we'll section off my hair and i think im gonna go the tin foil idea. ill put the ones that i want to have a reddish tone in the foil and dye the rest dark brown. ill still have some burgundy dye left over so if the red doesnt come out right, ill dye the red part again and wash my hair.
    ill post pictures and let you girls know how it goes.
    I'll be waiting for the update and pics! Good luck! :)
    well i colored it yesterday wit a friend who came to help me out
    she did the burgundy will i did the dark brown and it came out pretty good. we used the tin foil method (she tin foiled the reds)

5yet1v.jpg
    dfh7xe.jpg
    iprybr.jpg

what'd you girls think?
  • buffiebuffie Registered Users Posts: 184
    Very nice!!! Curious to see how it looks in the sun with the streaks in it.
    "How can I control my life when I can't control my hair?" - from a t-shirt my brother gave me years ago. I loved it!

Have discovered I cannot live without KCCC and plopping. Always knew that I was dependant on my diffuser.
    buffie wrote: »
    Very nice!!! Curious to see how it looks in the sun with the streaks in it.
    Me too! Looks good. :)
    thank you:toothy8:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file