What does toner do?

curlycovrgirlcurlycovrgirl Posts: 153Registered Users
I started using a new skin care line (biotherm) and I was getting about one breakout a week and then I stopped using the toner and for the past couple of months my skin has been completely clear and looks healthier. The breakouts stopped immediately when I stopped using the toner.

Is it posible I was having a bad reaction to toner? The funny part is the toner was supposed to fight acne, wtf?

What does toner do anyway? Do I even need it at all?
3c/4a - Relaxer Free since Feburary 2004 and Obsessed with my hair.

I have pictures now! password: curlygirl

Comments

• tgreyztgreyz Posts: 1,627Registered Users
    Does the toner have alcohol in it? It shouldn't have alcohol in it as it can irritate skin and boost oil production. I use witch hazel as a toner to get traces of makeup my cleanser left, or to clean dirt off my face instead of washing it before bed.

I don't think a cleanser is necessary and can be skipped.
    3b or 3c curls | My Fotki
    combo2.gif________________________________________________

event.png
  • curlycovrgirlcurlycovrgirl Posts: 153Registered Users
    I'm not sure about the alcohol, I'll check the bottle. What is witch hazel?

(sorry, i'm clueless :oops: )
    3c/4a - Relaxer Free since Feburary 2004 and Obsessed with my hair.

I have pictures now! password: curlygirl
    I'm not exactly sure what witch hazel is but it can be used as a toner. It's not harsh and its cheap too. I've found toners that don't contain alcohol to be innefective and the ones with alcohol are irritating to the skin so witch hazel works for me. It's usually sold near the bandaids in the grocery store or can be bought at Sallys.

event.png
  • ScarletScarlet Posts: 3,125Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Other than feeling refreshing and soothing (if there are no harsh ingredients), toners really don't do much of anything. Alcohol and witch hazel (if among the first ingredients on the label) should be no-nos in your skin care routine.
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
    Whats wrong with witch hazel?

I've found toner with alcohol to be too irritating, and without alcohol doesn't really do anything. I use witch hazel as a toner and think it's great.

event.png
  • lauren1904lauren1904 Posts: 19Registered Users
    I actually broke out to my toner also. Toner's are a sensitive thing. If there's too much alcohol, it can be drying. But then I've had ones that had no alcohol and they were oily and caused me to break out.

I got a facial a few weeks ago and the woman told me what the real purpose of toner is. I always thought that it was just to get all the leftover dirt that your cleanser didn't get. It's actually to get the PH level of your face back to a neutral. Cleansers are a base, not an acid. Toners are acids on the PH scale so it cancels out the basic PH of your cleanser bringing your PH level to a neutral. It's important to do that before you moisurize otherwise your lotion won't be as effective.

You learn something new every day!!
    2B/3A
    shoulder blade length
    RECENTLY blonde!!!
  • SaKkehSaKkeh Posts: 986Registered Users
    lauren1904 wrote:
    It's actually to get the PH level of your face back to a neutral. Cleansers are a base, not an acid. Toners are acids on the PH scale so it cancels out the basic PH of your cleanser bringing your PH level to a neutral. It's important to do that before you moisurize otherwise your lotion won't be as effective.

Yep.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file