Towel-type thingy for plopping?

baseballmamabaseballmama Posts: 33Registered Users
I used to put my hair up in one of those twisty turbans, but now that terry cloth is out I can't use it anymore. Can anyone recommend a CG-friendly product like that? I'm not very good at working the t-shirt.

Comments

• jlpmom23jlpmom23 Posts: 755Registered Users
    A lot of us like flour sack cloths. You can find them in most stores with other kitchen type towels. WalMart, Target, Bed Bath and Beyond all carry them. I am partial to the ones from Target. You get a set of maybe 5 or 6 and they are cheap, around $5. I use two each time I wash my hair, one to kind of gently squeeze out excess water, and then I plop with one. Flour sacks have been one of my all time great curly finds!
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    jlpmom23 wrote: »
    A lot of us like flour sack cloths. You can find them in most stores with other kitchen type towels. WalMart, Target, Bed Bath and Beyond all carry them. I am partial to the ones from Target. You get a set of maybe 5 or 6 and they are cheap, around $5. I use two each time I wash my hair, one to kind of gently squeeze out excess water, and then I plop with one. Flour sacks have been one of my all time great curly finds!

I agree w/flour sack towels or Curlease towels - you aren't going to be able to get the same effect as a proper plop with a pre-formed turban-type contraption.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you like the turban, there are some microfiber ones around. I use one to plop. I hang my head upside down, put the hair into the cup of the turban, then twist it and button it at the top. Works pretty good. I also use the flour sack towels to plop.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've tried the MF turbans and the Curlease. My favourite, by far is the Curlease towel. I have some very fine MF handtowels that I like to scrunch my hair with .... just a couple of times, so it isn't dripping (after I apply my leave-in) when I get out of the shower. I apply my curling cream / plop with a Curlease towel and then scrunch in some gel before diffusing.

I find the Curlease towels are the most forgiving. I used to use a Acquis MF towel, but it dried my hair too much. It removed alot of product and made my hair frizzy.
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
    FrizzBgone wrote: »
    I've tried the MF turbans and the Curlease. My favourite, by far is the Curlease towel. I have some very fine MF handtowels that I like to scrunch my hair with .... just a couple of times, so it isn't dripping (after I apply my leave-in) when I get out of the shower. I apply my curling cream / plop with a Curlease towel and then scrunch in some gel before diffusing.

I find the Curlease towels are the most forgiving. I used to use a Acquis MF towel, but it dried my hair too much. It removed alot of product and made my hair frizzy.

I agree with all of this, although I like the floursack towels just as well as the Curlease, I think. T-shirts run a close second. I have microfiber towels, but also just use them just for scrunching, if at all.

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • TaraVictoriaTaraVictoria Posts: 374Registered Users
    I agree too - but I also use paper towels and the towels (paper) for cleaning eyeglasses - they use papertowels at Deva and they always work great ... yes, less "green", but for me, they've always worked really well.
    Tara - have a curly day!!!

LA Looks Curl Gel, Sauve Naturals conditioners Waterlily, CK, Deva Archangel , LOOB (has its days)...
    Deva One - LOVE it!!!!!!!

Botticelli's Flax Seed Hair Gel (a DIY!!!) THANKS Botticelli!!!!!!
    Curl Junkie Coffee Coco Creme (LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!)
    Shea Moisture Smoothie - GREAT stuff!

:angel5::angel5:
    for the love of the lens...

http://animafoto.smugmug.com/

www.animafoto.wordpress.com
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I like the Target Floursacks too; but my favorites are still my 100% cotton waffleweave dishtowels.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • momofourmomofour Posts: 1Registered Users
    :hello2::hello2: I have lots of questions? What is plop? CG? co? Why are "cones" bad?
    I'm excited about talking to other curly-q's!:hello2:
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    IMO the Curl Ease are incomparible. Lovelovelove them.
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • kitten59kitten59 Posts: 68Registered Users
    Oh geez. Nice spam.

I went to Walmart yesterday and asked an employee where the flour sacks were. She looked at me like I had two heads. I ended up getting a fairly large microfiber towel in the automotive department instead. So am I not actually looking for a sack, just a towel made out of sack-like material?
    CG for 1.5 months
    Wavy + curly
    Products I'm rotating:
    Suave, Vo5, ACV w/honey, Giovanni Tea Tree, Giovanni 50/50
    Leave-ins- KCKT, Bioinfusion Cond. Balm, Biosilk Smoothing Balm, Giovanni DLI
    LOOB, KCSS

Protein DT: Joico K-Pak

Playing with:
    Loma Imply, KBBSS, KBHN, shampoo bars from KM
    KCCC, CBSS WSHP, DM Lock + Twist, DM Coco Curly

http://public.fotki.com/kitten59/
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    kitten59 wrote: »
    Oh geez. Nice spam.

I went to Walmart yesterday and asked an employee where the flour sacks were. She looked at me like I had two heads. I ended up getting a fairly large microfiber towel in the automotive department instead. So am I not actually looking for a sack, just a towel made out of sack-like material?

Flour sack towels are in the kitchen department (I got some online and some smaller ones at Target) and look like muslin--if that helps.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    I just bought two of the flour sack cloths and they are huge...has anyone cut them in half? Do you all just blot or do you plop with these?
    2b/3a.
  • HillSongHillSong Posts: 27Registered Users
    I personally love my aquis microfiber hair towels to plop. It takes a bit of practice but it works great. I don't find them over drying nor removing my product.
    Hair Type: 3 a
    Wash: switch between Schwarzkopf smooth poo & condish and Aveda rosemary & mint poo & condish
    Deep Condish: Pantene moisture replenishing mask
    Products: Schwarzkopf natural mousse, Aveda be curly curl control, Miss Jessie's Quick Curls, Dove unscented hairspray
    2nd day: aveda be curly curl control
    *Curly girls keep on embracing what God gave you:love5:

event.png
  • AprilnUtahAprilnUtah Posts: 519Registered Users Curl Novice
    I love my Curlease towel too. Lately, I find myself consistently reaching for the old pillow case I use for my hair. It's very soft and has a smoother surface, so I get a little less frizz. Some people like old t-shirts too, just make sure it is a fine weave and no little cotton beads (the kind that form from wash and wear) to catch on your hair.
    April
    3a/b, med texture, med porosity, low dews

• CurlykeyCurlykey Posts: 1,540Registered Users Curl Novice
    I like the flour sacks too. You can get a 5 pack for $5 at Wal-mart. I actually sew two together so it can be a little thicker, and then add a loop (out of ribbon) in one corner so that I can hang it to dry. I have not tried the microfiber towels but I am very pleased and can tell a differnce with the flour sack towels.
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
  • soulsalsasoulsalsa Posts: 119Registered Users
    I have been using a MF turban, but can't use it as a turban since it is too small for my hair. Plus it really does take all the wetness out of my hair. The only problem is that I need my hair sorta wet to apply products and the MF adds a little frizzyness.

Has anyone used the Curls Like Us Cloths with success, they sound really good and look nice too.
    Hair Inspirations: My Lil Sis/MIKA/Vashtie Kola
    3b/3c::.thick::.porous::.med-normal texture
    Wash: Desert Essence Red Raspberry
    Condish: BellaCurl Condish
    Leave-in: BellaCurl Elixir
    Style: Giovanni LA Natural Gel or KMF UM Gel/BC Gellie/SS Emollience
    DT: SS Deeply Decadent
    Trying: Bella Curl
    Color: Jamila Henna

"...there is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness..."-Ghandi
  • kitten59kitten59 Posts: 68Registered Users
    Thanks Kathy, I got em! I thought I was looking for an actual sack, lol!
    CG for 1.5 months
    Wavy + curly
    Products I'm rotating:
    Suave, Vo5, ACV w/honey, Giovanni Tea Tree, Giovanni 50/50
    Leave-ins- KCKT, Bioinfusion Cond. Balm, Biosilk Smoothing Balm, Giovanni DLI
    LOOB, KCSS

Protein DT: Joico K-Pak

Playing with:
    Loma Imply, KBBSS, KBHN, shampoo bars from KM
    KCCC, CBSS WSHP, DM Lock + Twist, DM Coco Curly

http://public.fotki.com/kitten59/
  • meriellynmeriellyn Posts: 1,135Registered Users
    I'll hafta look into this flour sack business. Lol. Should I see what I can find at WalMart or are the Target ones really superior enough that I should wait until I get there? (The closes Target is about 45min away :P)

I tried a couple different microfiber towels but always got major frizz from them.
    Never have figured out how to properly plop with a t-shirt.

I've mostly used my turbie twist towels but they're old and soft and kinda thin so they aren't like using a regular terrycloth towel at all, really.
    2/f/i, waist length w/ long layers

http://public.fotki.com/thekittenavenger
    pwd: hair

~a wave in a sea of curls ;)
    Mine are from Wal-Mart and are fine. As long as they're smooth, fine-woven 100% cotton you're probably OK. Wal-Mart's come in a pack of 5-6. They're large and square.

They're fine for scrunching as-is. I'd like a little extra length for plopping, though (guess I have a big head!), so I think I'm going to sew two together so they'll be longer, like my Curlease - which, though long enough, could be be a little wider in the other direction, LOL. So maybe two FS towels sewn together will be just right.

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    FrizzBgone wrote: »

This explains why I got so much frizz from using a microfiber towel. I used one from the automotive section, but it always gave me frizz. Now I just use paper towels. I'll look into flour sack towels or the Curlease.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    Does any one use cloth diapers any more?
    2b/3a.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file