Legacy pick?

RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
What do you think of Caroline Kennedy making her first foray into politics as an appointed Senator (possibly taking Hillary's vacated seat)? Does she have enough experience? Enough chutzspa?

I know she's been active in the charity world for many years, but I've never actually heard her speak a word. I'm skeptical.

Comments

• Myradella3Myradella3 Posts: 2,481Registered Users
    From all reports, Carolyn McCarthy has done well in the House. She was a mom and wife with no political experience but ran for the U.S. House after a family tragedy. I don't know what makes a good senator so I'd be willing to give her shot based on her community service experience.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Myradella3 wrote: »
    From all reports, Carolyn McCarthy has done well in the House. She was a mom and wife with no political experience but ran for the U.S. House after a family tragedy. I don't know what makes a good senator so I'd be willing to give her shot based on her community service experience.

The keyword is "ran". Caroline would be appointed, not running.
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    IMO, her charitable contributions indicate that her heart is in the right place and she might make a good senator. She certainly isn't doing it for the attention or the money.

Any time I have heard her speak in public, however, she seems rather uncomfortable. She takes after her mother in that respect. She will do what is asked of her, but otherwise leave her the hell alone.

I'm intrigued by her decision.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • AmandacurlsAmandacurls Posts: 6,252Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm sure most people are only looking at her last name as enough qualification. She's a Kennedy, she must be good!
    If appointed, she'll run in two years and then two years later. If the people don't want her, they'll kick her out. Haven't many widows or widowers been appointed to office if their spouse passed while in office? How did those turn out?
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I agree with Poodlehead - she is not a natural speaker and I agree she takes after her mom more than the Kennedy side. I think they approached her because she did come out and do some speeches for Obama and maybe that was her way of coming into politics. I dont feel one or the other about her - she just does not seem like someone who will capture people's attention. Unlike her brother and others in her family that are in politics. To be honest I am surprised she is interested - so that makes me wonder if she is not being pressured to do this by the family now that Ted's health is failing.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    There are thousands of people in this state working hard at political careers. Why should she just get to waltz in out of nowhere and get a senate seat? If she wants to run let her wait till the next election.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • battinlashbattinlash Posts: 1,850Registered Users
    I don't see why she shouldn't be considered. I would rather see a well-respected and well-educated person who has been deeply involved in charity work selected than, say, a career politician with a shady history and not much to offer besides big campaign coffers.
    I'm sure most people are only looking at her last name as enough qualification. She's a Kennedy, she must be good!

I'm not aware of any "qualifications" that senators are supposed to have, other than the standard age/residency requirements. If her education, philanthropy, and obvious exposure to political workings are subpar, can you give me an example of what would be good enough?

I have no special preference for Caroline one way or the other, but I'm SO tired of hearing about qualifications. Because there really aren't any. It's each voter's preference to say who is qualified and who isn't.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    This whole appointment process just seems so shady. There should be another election. If Georgia has managed to do 2 elections in the last month or so, these other states can manage.

But I have nothing against Caroline Kennedy. She seems to be an accomplished woman in her own right.
    tantrum wrote: »

I'm not aware of any "qualifications" that senators are supposed to have, other than the standard age/residency requirements.

Remember in NY there are very loose residency requirements. How else did Hillary get in there?
    Myradella3 wrote: »

I'm not aware of any "qualifications" that senators are supposed to have, other than the standard age/residency requirements.

Remember in NY there are very loose residency requirements. How else did Hillary get in there?

Caroline has actually lived most of her life in NYC, so she meets that qualification easily. I just don't think she looks like a person who wants to be a Senator. She's been such a recluse for so many years, I can't imagine her embracing the media every day.
  • legendslegends Posts: 3,073Registered Users
    geeky wrote: »
    There are thousands of people in this state working hard at political careers. Why should she just get to waltz in out of nowhere and get a senate seat? If she wants to run let her wait till the next election.
    My thoughts exactly. If someone is going to be appointed rather than elected, she should have experience.
    Eres o te haces?
    OK...a talking head just mentioned something that makes me want Caroline to be senator now. She'll have to disclose all her finances. I'd like to know how much money she actually has. Curiousity of how much money Jackie and John-John left her is getting the better of me.
    OK...a talking head just mentioned something that makes me want Caroline to be senator now. She'll have to disclose all her finances. I'd like to know how much money she actually has. Curiousity of how much money Jackie and John-John left her is getting the better of me.

Too funny. I am willing bet some her $ can still be hid - trusts, etc. I know there were rumors that George was going under prior to John's plane accident so I wonder how much he sunk into that.

I have no horse in this race but like you noted above - she has been so out of the public eye - it just seems odd to me. But I also think the Kennedy name does not mean so much anymore-I am sure younger people don't even know what the fuss is about. And the cousins, etc don't seem to be making the headlines the way they used to. All we see here on TV in Mass is Ted going out on his sailboat.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    This reeks of entitlement. I wonder how it'll turn out.
  • munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Maybe she is just now coming forward and wanting to get into politics because she wanted to wait till her family was grown.
    3b/c
  • AmandacurlsAmandacurls Posts: 6,252Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I'm not aware of any "qualifications" that senators are supposed to have, other than the standard age/residency requirements. If her education, philanthropy, and obvious exposure to political workings are subpar, can you give me an example of what would be good enough?

I have no special preference for Caroline one way or the other, but I'm SO tired of hearing about qualifications. Because there really aren't any. It's each voter's preference to say who is qualified and who isn't.

By qualification I meant some people will assume she is good enough for the job based on her last name alone. They won't take anything else into account. I know there are no technical qualifications, but there should be something. I wouldn't want someone picked just because of whose daughter they were. If she's being picked for what she actually brings to the table, more power to her, but if it's just because she's a Kennedy, that's not a good enough reason.
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    But Amanda, so many political offices-- arguably all political offices-- are popularity contests anyhow. One can't qualify what type of popularity one can be elected based on.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
    She withdrew. I give her kudos for that even if was for selfish reasons. I do not think it had to do with Ted Kennedy - I don't think she wanted to share all her private stuff.
    Central Massachusetts

• YolyCYolyC Posts: 3,758Registered Users
    I'm glad she withdrew. I'm with Geeky and Gemini, it reeks.

We have the same problem here in Illinois. Some old fart retires and appoints his son/daughter what ever relative he or she wants to their post.

I can't wait for our appointed senator to run for the seat. I'm hoping he gets beat big time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything."
    Malcolm X
    I think she was just too shy to hack it. She couldn't even speak to reporters. She wouldn't have been able to stand up against some of those barracuda senators in washington for her constituents...not enough backbone.
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, I don't think her personality is cut for this kind of job. I don't doubt that she's smart enough. I just think this got too overwhelming for her. Smart choice to bail out.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    I think she most likely withdrew her name when she learned the Governor was most likely not going to choose her. It's a way to save face and give the appearance that it was her decision. Can't really fault her for that.

I never thought she was qualified. More importantly, she didn't appear to have that political fire in her belly at all. I think some democrat heavy-weights pushed the possibility on her and she toyed with it a bit.

I also think many liberals cannot stand the thought of a Kennedy not being in the Senate. With Ted being so ill, this was a way to ensure the Kennedy legacy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    misspam wrote: »
    I think she most likely withdrew her name when she learned the Governor was most likely not going to choose her.

I thought that as well when I first heard the news, but sources are now saying that she had some issues with the status of her household help and also issues with taxes. I don't get rich people and their problems. How hard can it be to find a nanny or housekeeper who ISN'T illegal? Or a reputable accountant?
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    battinlash wrote: »
    I think she most likely withdrew her name when she learned the Governor was most likely not going to choose her.

I thought that as well when I first heard the news, but sources are now saying that she had some issues with the status of her household help and also issues with taxes. I don't get rich people and their problems. How hard can it be to find a nanny or housekeeper who ISN'T illegal? Or a reputable accountant?

Well, I can't comment on the illegal status issue, but the crooked accountant thing... that often happens AFTER a wealthy person hires someone. When an accountant is that invested in the high dollar finances of a wealthy client, it's not all that uncommon to want to try to get a piece of that pie for yourself.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    battinlash wrote: »

Yeah, I'm starting to hear rumblings of the other issues as well.

I'm with you in wondering why some of these rich folks have such a hard time obeying the law when it comes to taxes, hiring illegals, etc.

btw - I just noticed that you changed your username and avatar pic. I love your retro avatars. Very cool. :glasses7:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Nanny problems, tax problems, a supposed affair. . . these seem to be the top three reasons being tossed around for her pulling her name.

I don't know if she is having marital problems or not and really don't care, but in a way it wouldn't surprise me only because she has always been a private person. It is almost like something in her life is changing that now she is considering the possibility of a public life.
    3b/c

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file