S/O: Nap Schedules?

Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
We used to have a good nap routine. Lydia took four naps of varying lengths, but always went to sleep about two hours after she woke up from the previous one.

Now she takes 2-3 naps a day (more often three) and I have no idea when she will be tired. For her first nap, she gets tired anytime between 9:30 and 11:00 and then usually needs another about three hours after she wakes up. The third nap is anyone's guess.

The only thing that has remained the same is her seven pm bedtime, which I set b/c that seemed to be about when she would fall asleep for the night on her own, so I just went with it.

I'd love to know how you get into a nap routine/schedule with your babies and what kind of napping your baby was doing at this age.

Comments

• deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    you would think that I would remember back to when Liam was that age... UGH!

Okay, I think he had at least 2 naps more times 3 and they would be anywhere from 45min - to 2 hours depending on how tired he was!

Now, at age 28 months he's at 1 nap a day 2- 21/2 hours (that's at home) when he's at daycare I think its about 1 1/2

~d
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    6 months was kind of transitional for us as far as naps go, much like your schedule. Just go with the flow, I think she will settle into more of a routine again with two naps within a month or two. It always gets a little messed up when they change the number of naps.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • Jenny CJenny C Posts: 1,195Registered Users
    Neither of my kids got on a nap schedule/routine until about 6 months.

Sophia was all over the place and it drove me crazy. She had no problem getting to sleep, but she couldn't stay asleep, but I knew she was tired. It all just started to come together around 6 or 7 months and she started sleeping for 1 1/2 -2 hours and then it made things much easier.

She would take one nap in the morning, one in the afternoon and sometimes a cat nap right before dinner. Then she dropped the cat nap and still takes two naps a day.

Lucy is 2 1/2 and naps once a day anywhere from 1-3 hours depending on how tired she is.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I never pushed a nap schedule when he was little, we just fell into ours. For a long, long time, Dylan took two naps. One at 11 am, and one at 3/3:30. Then bedtime around 8pm. Like clockwork everyday. I think around 8 months was when he started transitioning to only one nap, and that was a bit difficult. If he took two naps, he wouldn't be sleepy at bedtime at all. If he only took one, he'd be really cranky at night. It took over a month, and I still have to help him settle for his nap sometimes, but it's perfect if he sleeps from around 12:30 to 3, give or take half an hour on the times. But I just took cues from him and learned that he is happiest when he sleeps at these times.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    Oliver is about a month younger than Lydia, so they might be pretty similar.

I aim for two naps a day. In the morning, be awake for 2 hours, nap, awake for 3 hours, nap, finally awake for 4 hours and bedtime. This idea comes from an Ask Moxie column. Some days he's textbook-perfect. Some days his first (or occasionally second) nap is only like 30 minutes long, and then he'll definitely need three naps that day.

Of course the 2-3-4 is an approximate guideline. I wouldn't say to myself, "Hmmm, he's rubbing his eyes and starting to fuss, but it's only been 2 1/2 hours, so I better keep him up another half hour." It's what we shoot for, because I think that's an age-appropriate sleep schedule and it worked pretty well with my first baby.
    ehLB.jpg
  • deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    and sometimes during the weekend if I am quiet and have nothing else to so (which is rare) I lay down and get 40 winks too!!

~d
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    No "schedule" until about 3 or 4 months I think. Then he started taking like 3 or 4 naps a day whenever he started getting sleepy.

Around 6 months, It became 3. He would wake up at about 7, nap at 9:30, nap at 12:30/1:00, nap at about 4:00.

When he turned a year or so, he went down to 2 naps- they are at 10am and 3 pm.
    When he started skipping a nap is when we took one out. I would rather him get 2 good naps in than 3 quick ones. He seems better rested when they are long and he sleeps deep.

If he fights it, we let him play for a few more minutes and then try again. It seems to work.
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    Sounds like Aidan a couple of weeks ago- what I think was happening is that he was transitioning out of the third nap. What we've got now is a 9:30 nap, a 2:00 nap, and bedtime between 6 and 7, usually closer to 6. He picked those times: my sitter actually noticed that he gets tired at the same times evey day. Once we were onto that, it was easier to plan his days.

I have found that since giving up the third nap, he is sleeping longer at the other 2, which works well for me. He is also going to bed earlier which is kind of sad on the nights I work later- he's only up for a (fussy) hour before he really wants to go to bed.
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks, ladies! I feel like we've been in a transition forever, going from four to three and now heading towards two. It's not like I want to force a schedule on her, but it seems like our days went more smoothly when I knew about when to expect her to need a nap, you know?

Sarah, I think we're heading towards the 2-3-4 pattern, we just don't always make it those last four hours until bedtime without a nap yet.

Jenny, sometimes Lydia has trouble staying asleep too. I didn't catch onto that for a while but I've learned if she wakes up after only 20-30 minutes to try to coax her back to sleep. Sometimes it works, and sometimes not, which usually means we're in for a cranky couple hours until she takes another nap.

I have found that in these transitional stages, it helps to wear her alot b/c then she will just fall asleep whenever she gets tired vs. fussing until I realize it's naptime.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    Jenny, sometimes Lydia has trouble staying asleep too. I didn't catch onto that for a while but I've learned if she wakes up after only 20-30 minutes to try to coax her back to sleep.

I do this with Solomon too. I can almost always tell by HOW he wakes up: if he's ready to wake up I'll hear him talking to himself over the intercom. If he's still tired he'll sort of whine/cry and I'll go in and nurse him back to sleep.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
    Ugh, feeling the effects of a late nap today. After midnight, and the Energizer bunny is still going strong tormenting the poor sleepy dogs (and parents)!

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Now she takes 2-3 naps a day (more often three) and I have no idea when she will be tired. For her first nap, she gets tired anytime between 9:30 and 11:00 and then usually needs another about three hours after she wakes up. The third nap is anyone's guess.

Sandhya was like this for a long time. It would generally depend on when she woke up. And the third nap might only be 30 minutes long but she needed to have it or she would be a mess for the rest of the evening.
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Kaia wrote: »
    Ugh, feeling the effects of a late nap today. After midnight, and the Energizer bunny is still going strong tormenting the poor sleepy dogs (and parents)!

This was us last night too. If Harry naps after 1 PM, he is up until 10 or 11. DH let him nap from 1-3 yesterday and we paid the price.

He went from 2 naps to 1 at around 10 months and I remember the transition being hell. He had a few days with no nap and it was awful. Then, he started going down pretty regularly at 11 AM for 1.5-2 hours and that was fine, until recently.

Lately, he either skips his nap completely and has "quiet time" (books and/or video and snuggles) or seems to want to nap later (and is then up late). We might be transitioning to no nap. I have several friends whose kids gave up naps by age 2. That doesn't bother me, as long as he sleeps well at night.
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
    Just wanted to give an update. We're finally down to two naps now, unless one of them gets cut short for some reason.

I found that having a more consistent wake up time has helped us to have the first nap at about the same time, and then the rest of the day goes more smoothly. She wakes up somewhere between 7 and 7:30 on her own, but sometimes if I was extra tired I would stay in bed with her and eventually she would go back to sleep for a while, but I've quit doing that.

I think it also helps to try to be home during the afternoon nap to encourage her to take a nice long one. If we're out, she tends to not sleep very long, and then gets cranky quickly. Obviously, some days that's just how it goes, but many days I can try to run my errands before or after nap time instead.

Pixie--I thought about what you said about how Sol wakes up and I think that often applies to Lydia too, at least during the day.

Anyway, I'm just glad to be able to help her get the sleep she needs so she can be her happy self.
    Having some nap troubles ourselves now. Sol's been transitioning from two naps to one for MONTHS and we just can't get settled into a routine that works. The one-nap days are best if he sleeps from around 1:00-3:30/4:00, then he's ready for bed at 9:00-9:30. [We've discovered that 9:00 is the earliest he'll go to bed. No matter how tired he is, he simply won't fall asleep before 9:00 and several months ago whenever he would, he'd be up at 3:00 AM wanting to party. 9:00 is good for us too because it's late enough he gets time with Daddy after work but early enough that we get some downtime after he goes to bed]. Some days, though, if he gets tired earlier and naps at 11:00 or 12:00, he won't nap as long (maybe 1.5-2 hours) and then can't make it until bedtime. He'll get tired for another nap at 5:00 or 6:00, and then that pushes bedtime back until 10:00-10:30. Like today, he napped 12:35-2:15 then from 6:00-6:45, and didn't finally go to bed until 10:30.

So, ideally, I'd keep him up until 1:00 every day but if he starts getting tired or cranky at 11:00 that's a really long time to keep him distracted and happy. His wake-up time is pretty consistent relative to bedtime - if he goes to bed 9:00-9:30 he'll wake up at 7:00-7:30, and if he goes to bed at 10:00 or later he'll wake up around 8:00.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Pixie - that's exactly what we went through with Dylan a few months ago, down to those same nap times. What helped me was to take him out of the house for a while when I didn't want him to take the early nap. We'd go to the grocery, for example, at 11-11:30am, I'd do my grocery shopping, and he'd be entertained enough to stay awake and reasonably happy (he's very agreeable in public for the most part). Then he'd usually fall asleep on the way home (around 12:30) and I'd transfer him to bed.

• FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users
    Kaia wrote: »
    Pixie - that's exactly what we went through with Dylan a few months ago, down to those same nap times. What helped me was to take him out of the house for a while when I didn't want him to take the early nap. We'd go to the grocery, for example, at 11-11:30am, I'd do my grocery shopping, and he'd be entertained enough to stay awake and reasonably happy (he's very agreeable in public for the most part). Then he'd usually fall asleep on the way home (around 12:30) and I'd transfer him to bed.

This is exactly what I do with my 7 month old. I do all of my errands in that time frame and then get home and put her to bed. It works great for us.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
    I've actually tried that a few times in the past few weeks (not intentionally to keep him awake, just because I had errands to run in the morning) and he fell asleep in the car as early as 10:00, on multiple occasions. Plus I'm unlucky that if I take him out to run errands when he's tired, he'll be a little cranky and fussy in the store. We've made a new rule that I try not to take him anywhere between 10:00 and 12:00. The best way to keep him awake and happy at home is to read to him, but I can't read for 2 hours straight.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Pixie, I don't have any suggestions, but just wanted to say I feel your pain. Nap transitions are no fun!:thumbdown:
    An update from us now that we (knock on wood) seem to have settled into a decent, predictable, nap/sleep schedule. 12:30 is the magic time for naps and he'll usually sleep 2-3 hours, which keeps him happy until bedtime at 9:00. Sometimes/often he'll wake up after 1.5 hours or so and I'll nurse him back to sleep and nap with him for the last hour. It's actually kind of nice because it forces me to get some much-needed rest and we get good snuggles.

And, I just have to tell someone because I can't believe it myself, but last night, after falling asleep just a few minutes after 9:00, Sol didn't wake to nurse until 4:00 AM. That's unheard of in our house. I think he only woke one more time after that before we were up for the day around 7:30. He had a textbook-perfect nap yesterday (12:30-3:00) so maybe there is something to the whole "sleep begets sleep" thing.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users
    That is great news!!
    Yay! Dylan definitely sleeps better when he naps at the right time. (Says the mom whose toddler is raiding the hallway closet instead of napping. Oy!)

• cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    I totally buy the sleep begets sleep thing. When people suggest I limit A's napping to get him to sleep, I look at them as though they are crazy.
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users
    cosmicfly wrote: »
    I totally buy the sleep begets sleep thing. When people suggest I limit A's napping to get him to sleep, I look at them as though they are crazy.

I used to work in a day care, and HATED when the parents asked us to limit/not let their kid nap. It made the whole room miserable, because we had to put more time and extra attention on one poor, tired, cranky kid who was absolutely exhausted.
  • velvet pawsvelvet paws Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    Lucas has always been a terrible napper. We've been on one nap a day for about a month now, but I think we're moving to an afternoon nap instead of a morning one.

Thankfully, he is an awesome nighttime sleeper, or I'd lose my mind. He's in bed by 7pm and he wakes up around 8am, and doesn't make a peep the whole night, barring illness or something like that.
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    We are now down to a nap a day : (
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • Yes, Still PaulaYes, Still Paula Posts: 485Registered Users
    Oh boy...I feel like my 2-year-old daughter doesn't sleep enough. She generally sleeps for up to 10 hours a night and only naps for 2 hours a day. That's probably not enough sleep, is it?
    Paula wrote: »
    Oh boy...I feel like my 2-year-old daughter doesn't sleep enough. She generally sleeps for up to 10 hours a night and only naps for 2 hours a day. That's probably not enough sleep, is it?

That sounds pretty good for a 2-year-old. My son is 16 months old and sleeps 10.5-11 hours at night and ~2.5 hours during the day, so just a little bit more than your daughter and a bit younger. I wouldn't go by the numbers and just go by whether she seems well-rested to you. I'm sure you'd be able to tell if she was tired all the time.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • Yes, Still PaulaYes, Still Paula Posts: 485Registered Users
    PixieCurl wrote: »
    Paula wrote: »

That sounds pretty good for a 2-year-old. My son is 16 months old and sleeps 10.5-11 hours at night and ~2.5 hours during the day, so just a little bit more than your daughter and a bit younger. I wouldn't go by the numbers and just go by whether she seems well-rested to you. I'm sure you'd be able to tell if she was tired all the time.

Thanks for the input. I guess I was worried b/c I've read that they should be sleeping for a total of 14 hours between day & night altogether. But, you're probably right. I also forgot to follow up on this with her doc since I was too focused on her speech development and lack of saying the word "no" that I forgot, and therefore I failed to bring up any questions regarding her sleeping habits. Wow..there are so many milestones we have to make sure our kids achieve, huh?

As an added note: Speaking of sleep, my daughter was laughing in her sleep last night and we had to wake her up. She continued to laugh a bit and then was up for a while before she went back to sleep. It was pretty weird. :shock:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file