Yet Another Thread for RCW

SweetPicklesSweetPickles Posts: 850Registered Users
I tried to send this in a PM, so as not to clutter up the board with my rambling, but you've apparently got too many messages in there! So here's the message:

I have read and read all the many posts on your skin care recs and methods, and my head is a'spinning. So many products, so many posts about them all. I've gathered that I need the castille cleanser, but beyond that, I'm confused! I noticed most people asking for your help have oily, not dry skin like mine, so I am further confused. So, basically, I'm wondering if you have a minute to listen to my skin woes, and just tell me what the heck to buy :lol:

(I won't even waste your time telling you my routine, because I know it's all total crap! )
I'm almost 40, have very dry but acne prone skin (a recent development in the last five years or so). I don't really think it's sensitive so much as it's just dry and prone to breakouts. I have had a terrible problem with blackheads my entire life. Not too much sun damage, but I'm definitely seeing a lot of fine lines these days. Not so much drooping yet, but I'm sure that's not far away and firming is always a plus.

So I guess I'm looking to keep the acne at bay, work on lines, and tighten, while keeping my skin from totally drying out. I'll talk to my new doc next week about Renova (I have no idea if this insurance would cover it). Could you recommend a basic routine?

Oh, and finally, I have a dumb question: I seem to remember reading something you said about people using Retin-A type products not being able to ever wax. Is that right? I guess if it worked well for me, I *could* get over my eyebrow/lip waxing compulsion.

Many thanks!
Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If you're that dry, I would suggest you try DianaYvonne.com 's Wheat Germ Cleanser. It's not as drying as the PSF Gentle Castile Cleanser. I would also suggest you try DY's product called Exfol Serum, which is a salicylic acid product with a slightly higher pH, so it's not as drying as their regular SA, yet still gives you some exfoliation. For moisturizer, I don't think anything beats emu oil. Be careful buying emu just anywhere though...some of them are dreadful stinky things. DY carries a nice one, made by LBProcessors. They carry Clear and Ultra versions. The Clear is a bit cheaper, but I like the finish of the Ultra better. Sinks in better. If you mix a couple drops of emu in the palm of your hand with a small plop of Hyaluronic Acid (which DY also carries), it makes a perfect moisturizer that isn't greasy. Despite the word "acid" in the name, HA isn't really an acid, but rather is a humescent, so it helps oil penetrate better. DY sells sample sizes of all these products so you don't have to spend a bundle to see if you like the products. I have no connection with DY in any way, other than liking a few of their products (not all of them). The routine would be:

AM
    Cleanse
    Exfol - wait 30 minutes
    emu/HA
    makeup and/or sunscreen

PM
    Cleanse
    Exfol - wait 30 minutes
    emu-HA

If this makes you too dry, then only use the Exfol once a day, probably at night. If you want to add Renova, it would go in the PM routine after Exfol. If you can't get an Rx from your doctor, or if insurance doesn't cover it (which it probably won't because it's a "cosmetic" product), Renova is available without an Rx for about $12 (and $10 shipping) from www.mdmexskincare.com, which is a Mexico-based company. If you're worried about using your credit card with a foreign company, you can get a single-use credit card number through Paypal and pay for it with your regular Paypal funds.

Renova or Retin-A can make you peel...that's how it works. It increases the rate of cell turnover. If you find yourself flakey, gently wiping off the flakes with a microfiber cloth wet with warm water works great. I buy a big bundle of them for $5 at Target in the automotive section and cut them into 4x4 squares and throw them out after they lose their exfoliating ability after a few washes. Be gentle if you try this though...microfiber can take your skin right off if you aren't careful.

I tried waxing once since using Retin-A...it tore my skin right off my face. I had a scabby mustache instead of a hairy one. So, no, I wouldn't recommend mixing waxing with Retin-A or Renova. Try tweezers.

Hope this helps.

One day I'll get around to cleaning out my PM inbox.
  • SweetPicklesSweetPickles Posts: 850Registered Users
    Thanks so much - that all helps a LOT!
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
  • SweetPicklesSweetPickles Posts: 850Registered Users
    I'm back! ;-) I'm pretty happy with the routine so far, but I have a question: I don't think I'm getting that much out of the Exfol serum. It's okay, but it just doesn't seem to be doing anything much. I also notice that my skin doesn't seem as dry (or sensitive) as I thought it was. So I think maybe I could step it up a notch. Can you recommend a slightly stronger exfoliant (doesn't have to be DY)? Should I stick with the BHA, just in a higher concentration? Thoughts?

As always, thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file