When it comes to names what's more important.

curlywavybeautycurlywavybeauty Posts: 223Registered Users
I was wondering what most people here felt was more important, the sound of a name or the meaning. I'd want to pick a names that have a meaning, but some names sound cute but the meaning is just some random word.
I think the name Eden Anastasia is the cutest. Eden means paradise and Anastasia means resurrected, so if I used the name means Paradise resurrected. I was also thinking the name Prima Bella would be kinda cute, it means first beauty, but the name isnt actually my style. Do most people look at meanings and the middle and first name or what?
also how do you get around someone wanting to name the baby after someone else but the name is horrible...like those two letter names like TJ, I'm trying to convince my fiance to try find names that arent identical to the person but after the person.
African American-to be more specific, Black Native american, White and Creole.
3b,c and 4a hair

Comments

• AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I was wondering what most people here felt was more important, the sound of a name or the meaning. I'd want to pick a names that have a meaning, but some names sound cute but the meaning is just some random word.
    I think the name Eden Anastasia is the cutest. Eden means paradise and Anastasia means resurrected, so if I used the name means Paradise resurrected. I was also thinking the name Prima Bella would be kinda cute, it means first beauty, but the name isnt actually my style. Do most people look at meanings and the middle and first name or what?
    also how do you get around someone wanting to name the baby after someone else but the name is horrible...like those two letter names like TJ, I'm trying to convince my fiance to try find names that arent identical to the person but after the person.

Meanings are of the most importance to me. If a name sounded pretty but had a negative connotation, I could never use it. I personally look at meanings but I don't know what everyone else does. Some people consider it more than others. Middle names are also important to me, but I know a lot of people just use them to fill out or sound good with the first name, like the trend is to use one syllable middle names for girls such as Rae, Rose, etc. In my family we usually have at least 2 middle names and they are family names.

I think Eden Anastasia has a really great meaning. Also, as to the family name dilemma, if it is a family name but I don't like the name, I'd use it as a middle name, or change the name a bit - like say the name is Ann but you don't like the name Ann, maybe you like Anna or Roseanna or something. As to the name TJ, it likely stands for something, so couldn't you use the full name? Or if not, make up a full name with the initials TJ - like Thomas James or whatever. I think what is important is that you honour the person and the name doesn't have to be exact. I know there's a Hebrew tradition of naming a child with a name starting with the same letter as a deceased relative, so you could do something like that too.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    With both our boys, we picked first names that we liked the sound of, since that what they'd be called (Connor and Oliver). Their middle names were chosen more for meaning or significance. (Emanzi = a strong name from Uganda, where we lived for two years and where I became pregnant; Franklin = a family name)
    ehLB.jpg
  • curlywavybeautycurlywavybeauty Posts: 223Registered Users
    In my family we usually have at least 2 middle names and they are family names.

. As to the name TJ, it likely stands for something, so couldn't you use the full name? Or if not, make up a full name with the initials TJ - like Thomas James or whatever. I think what is important is that you honour the person and the name doesn't have to be exact. I know there's a Hebrew tradition of naming a child with a name starting with the same letter as a deceased relative, so you could do something like that too

I want to give my children two middle names as well, my middle name is a family name so is my sisters but I dont think I want to name all my kids after family names because it doubt i'd be able to evenly give family members namesakes and then people get upset and hurt so that's hard. I'm gonna name one of my first daughter after me in a way, one of my middle names is Ella, and I wanna use the middle name of Briella for her. and I want to use the same sort of nameing after someone for my first son and his father but after that I cant get into naming after grandparents because then you have 4 people who want you to use their name...and then I've got my grandparents and he's got him.

Recently my fiance told me he wants to name a boy after his uncles, all three of them, and one of their names was TJ and it doesnt stand for anything...it's just that...I hate the name i just find it bland and I would hate to call my child that but my fiance already feels like I basicly do whatever I want so I'm stepping on egg shells, Ive already chosen the other uncles names for the first name and first middle name but I just cant see myself writing TJ down for a 2nd middle name.
    3b,c and 4a hair
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    our son is named after my grandfather, who died when my mother was a little girl. it is a name that you all have heard, but is not common at all. out of all the friends and classmates he's had and places we've been, we've never come across another boy with this name, and our son is 10. his name resonates dignity and sophistication.

our daughter has a name that we picked because i've always liked it ever since i knew a little girl in my elementary class with this name. it is feminine and sounds beautiful when you say it. it also has a religious meaning. other than that, it has no particular sentimental meaning to us. it is a more common name. she's one of 2 girls at their school who has the same name.

my husband and our son share the same middle name, as my daughter and i share the same middle name. one of my nieces also shares my middle name.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    I think both are important. I wouldn't want to pick a name that had a great meaning but would get my child made fun of for the rest of his/her life.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    Both are important. We went primarily by sound, with meaning as a possible deal-breaker.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
    Oh I don't like Prima Bella at all - Prima for a girls' first name would just be strange and people would probably make all kinds of mistakes with it. Bella is cute though.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users
    We went with sound. Neither the first name or middle name for my daughter has a positive meaning, but they're pretty and they sound good together as well as with the last name. I honestly don't care about the meaning.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
    if I could completely ignore meanings I would name my daughter jezebel I think it sounds pretty. I keep running across two different meanings one says the hebrew meaning is impure, wicked while another says it means pure and virginal, either way the connotations it has are too bad

http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Jezebel
    http://www.babynamewizard.com/namipedia/girl/jezebel
    3b,c and 4a hair
    Amneris wrote: »
    Also, as to the family name dilemma, if it is a family name but I don't like the name, I'd use it as a middle name, or change the name a bit - like say the name is Ann but you don't like the name Ann, maybe you like Anna or Roseanna or something.

Oh yes, we did this too. The family member's given name is Frank, but for some reason I much preferred Franklin, so that's the middle name we chose.
    ehLB.jpg
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    both are important to me. but when i think of what a name means, i dont think about literally what the word itself means or its origin, but what the name means to me.
    majerle mae are both family names so they have meaning to me in that regard. i have no clue what majerle or mae mean according to a baby name book and i probably couldnt care less.
    if I could completely ignore meanings I would name my daughter jezebel I think it sounds pretty. I keep running across two different meanings one says the hebrew meaning is impure, wicked while another says it means pure and virginal, either way the connotations it has are too bad

http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Jezebel
    http://www.babynamewizard.com/namipedia/girl/jezebel

Was there a thread about the name Jezebel awhile back? I like the sound of it too, but I think there would be too many negative connotations. I'd rather pick a similar-sounding name like, I don't know, Isabel or Jessica.
    ehLB.jpg
    yea there was I might have started it too, but I'm not too into finding similar sounding names, it's kinda all or nothing if I really like a name.

Maybe if I become a celebrity I could pull off naming my daughter Jezebel lol, Heavenly Jezebel, I guess it wouldnt be that bad as a middle name(yea right I know everyone would be mad at me for that name)

I also like the name Ramases, and Ramses-they mean son of Ra, it's egyptian

I would love to name my son or daughter Pharoah, but because of the way the name is pronounced like farrow, and that is a girls name...and Farrow in connotation with farrow children(children raised by wolves or basicly without human contact) I probley would not, but once again after we have Bronx Mogli I dont think I could do worst. so if I become a celebrity watch out lol
    3b,c and 4a hair
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    For us, it's mostly how it sounds, but I wouldn't use a name with a really bad meaning. For example, I'd never give a girl the name Mary/Maria/Marie because it means "bitter." What a terrible meaning for a perfectly good name!
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • SweetPicklesSweetPickles Posts: 850Registered Users
    I would love to name my son or daughter Pharoah, but because of the way the name is pronounced like farrow, and that is a girls name...and Farrow in connotation with farrow children(children raised by wolves or basicly without human contact) I probley would not, but once again after we have Bronx Mogli I dont think I could do worst. so if I become a celebrity watch out lol
    The word you're thinking of is actually "feral," not "farrow," so you're probably okay for people who are familiar with it. But people might hear it incorrectly regardless.
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
    Kaia wrote: »
    For us, it's mostly how it sounds, but I wouldn't use a name with a really bad meaning. For example, I'd never give a girl the name Mary/Maria/Marie because it means "bitter." What a terrible meaning for a perfectly good name!

True, but I think with Mary, the main connotation is the mother of Jesus and being named Mary, Marie, Maria etc. is in honour of her and her goodness, purity etc. so the Christian association has overcome the original Hebrew meaning. (Maria is part of my name.)

Yes, I definitely remember a thread about the name Jezebel and its negative connotations.

I would pronounce Pharoah fair-oh, not farrow. It was actually on my boys' name list.

.png

534Pm5.png

• DelmaDelma Posts: 1,121Registered Users
    I think name meaning and sound are equally important. Uniqueness is also important to me, I would never give my child a name I considered to be popular.
    Both my sons middle names are after deceased relatives that are important to us.
    Anastasia makes me think of the evil stepsister in cinderella,but it's still pretty I like Eden as well. Prima I don't really like but bella is really pretty.
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    Curlywavybeauty,

Congratulations! When are you due?
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    sarah42 wrote: »
    Amneris wrote: »
    Also, as to the family name dilemma, if it is a family name but I don't like the name, I'd use it as a middle name, or change the name a bit - like say the name is Ann but you don't like the name Ann, maybe you like Anna or Roseanna or something.

Oh yes, we did this too. The family member's given name is Frank, but for some reason I much preferred Franklin, so that's the middle name we chose.

That is what we did also. DH's grandfather's name was Henry, but we don't like the nickname "Hank." So, we named DS Harry, which is a form of Henry and was also a great uncle's name. That way, he's named for both.
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Sound over meaning, and popularity/weirdness over sound.

I have a "peeve" about little girls names that sound like stripper names- Eden Anastasia (I'M SO SORRY!!!) sounds like that. Maybe not together they would be okay, but Eden, Desitny, Desiree, Angel, Crystal, Lacy... seem to commonly be used in the exotic industry. Not that I'm a great expert, mind you. It's not my decision or really my business, but that's the first thing that comes to MY (twisted) mind.
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Spider wrote: »

I have a "peeve" about little girls names that sound like stripper names- Eden Anastasia (I'M SO SORRY!!!) sounds like that. Maybe not together they would be okay, but Eden, Desitny, Desiree, Angel, Crystal, Lacy... seem to commonly be used in the exotic industry. Not that I'm a great expert, mind you. It's not my decision or really my business, but that's the first thing that comes to MY (twisted) mind.

I agree. I remember when I was pg with my son, I had thought about the name Amber, if he turned out to be a girl. I mentioned it to two of my male coworkers (on a crowded elevator) and one of them said, "yeah, if you want her to be a stripper." Everyone on the elevator burst out laughing. Well, that ruined the name for me. :lol:
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    :laughing3:
    My cuz's kid is named Amber...

I go by meaning, but of course it has to sound right, as well. But, for me, meaning. I'm a sentimental sap! lol
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

wow....LOL Eden Anastasia doesnt sound like a stripper to me, it sounds kinda she'd be that girly girl,prissy popular and with the best toys. It sounds more sweet and gentle to me but hey lol the only stripper name I see on your list is Crystal, it's kinda like unless your name is Gurtrude it could be seen as a stripper name. I have a friend who thought she was having a girl(but to no avail she's having her thrid boy) and she wanted to name her Mahogany Rain, and I had to tell her THAT'S A STRIPPER NAME, lol
    3b,c and 4a hair
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users

wow....LOL Eden Anastasia doesnt sound like a stripper to me, it sounds kinda she'd be that girly girl,prissy popular and with the best toys. It sounds more sweet and gentle to me but hey lol the only stripper name I see on your list is Crystal, it's kinda like unless your name is Gurtrude it could be seen as a stripper name. I have a friend who thought she was having a girl(but to no avail she's having her thrid boy) and she wanted to name her Mahogany Rain, and I had to tell her THAT'S A STRIPPER NAME, lol

It could also be right out of a Harlequin romance novel. Could go either way.
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    I always think of whether the name will fit a grown up as well as a child. I would hate to be an 85-year-old woman in a nursing home named Trinity, Kinsey, or something similarly cute (no offense to anyone here). For that reason, I prefer classic names that would go well with "Dr." in front of it or "Esq." after it. :)

DH's family is Russian Orthodox, so all of the our babies will be named after saints. When we named DD, we also checked how the saint died to make sure it wasn't a violent, bloody death.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
    Trinity isnt a 'cute' name, it has a religous meaning.
    3b,c and 4a hair
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    sound is more important to me but a flexible name is important too. Hubby has an irish sounding last name which can be a challenge. We wantd something that can be easily shortened or altered if he decides to be a performer or sound 'important but still has familial ties or meaning. For example if Thelonious or Alexander wanted to drop or change the last name, we still have a middle name that ties to the family and has meaning.

At the end, their names are their choices when they get older. I wouldn't be offended if they wanted to change it later on.
    hello.world.
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    Trinity isnt a 'cute' name, it has a religous meaning.

I never heard of it as a name until The Matrix came out. *shrugs*
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file