"2nd day" soreness!

leelee28leelee28 Posts: 137Registered Users
Does anyone else feel more sore on the 2nd day after working out?
Lately, when I do something new, I find that I'm waaay more sore two days after I did it.

On Sunday I went to the gym and met up with a friend of mine. We did that leg/ab thing were you lay on you back and grab the person's ankles, and they push your legs away and then you pull them back up. Only, she had us do 2 to the middle, one about 45 degrees to the right, then 2 to the middle, then one 45 degrees to the left, then repeat.
Now on my upper thighs, about 45 degrees from straight in front of me and my exact sides, my leg muscles are killing me! But they felt fine yesterday!

Does this happen to anyone else? Why is that?
Type: 3b with a little 3a f/m mix, ii

A "Mrs." as of June 26, 2010 :love3:

Comments

• sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    Me, me!! Not always, but a lot of the time, especially after a new difficult workout. My husband is the same way. I don't know why it happens.
    ehLB.jpg
  • leelee28leelee28 Posts: 137Registered Users
    well I'm glad I'm not the only one!
    Last week I had done squats for the first time in a looooooooong time and my legs hurt more the 2nd day! So I told my roomie, who's a weight trainer, and he was like "I don't know why, that's weird"
    And I was like, oh you were helpful! :angry3: lol

• Noelle1966Noelle1966 Posts: 87Registered Users
    OMGosh - the second day is always the worst! We do that exercise where we push each other's legs in abdominal class. I like it when I feel the soreness. It means that it is working.:sunny:
    3A. I like Wella Kolestral. I also like a lot of products made by Nexxus.
    haha, this is true. A good burn feels good!
    but it's like ... I wanted to exercise today and I have to walk like I have a stick up my butt because my legs hurt! lol.
    Why can't it burn but then go away!?!? lol

But I still don't understand what it's the second day?! MY gut would say it has to do with lactic acid, but I figure that over 36 hrs since I worked out my body would have cleared that.

Who knows! Just glad I'm not weird for hurting more on the second day!

• CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,079Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Your muscles are sore because of the lactic acid buildup.

Be sure to do a thorough stretch AND stretch the next morning.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
    Still? Really? That's crazy! lol.

• CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,079Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Well see lactic acid builds up when muscles are fatigued.This will cause some lameness.

However, keep in mind that muscles are strengthened by the repeated damage of essentially being "ripped". Each time they mend they become stronger. That is the soreness you feel the next day.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • Noelle1966Noelle1966 Posts: 87Registered Users
    Absolutely do some stretches. Do you have yoga at your gym?
    3A. I like Wella Kolestral. I also like a lot of products made by Nexxus.
    like a yoga class?
    yes, but it fills up so quick!

I have a yoga tape I used to do! :happy4:
    I was talking with the friend I did the exercises with and I think I know what happened. She showed up as I was finishing and I had already stretched. Then we did the leg things, and I didn't even think about it, and left without re-stretching.
    oh well.
    it feels way better today :blob:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file