Two questions: Ears and Bedwetting

DarkAngelDarkAngel Curl NeophytePosts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Our ear infection saga continues. About three weeks ago, Xander woke up with blood coming out of his ear. The ENT thought his tube was coming out. An ear infection and two weeks later, the ENT was right because the tube was gone. Now he is congested again. Congestion has traditionally come two days before an ear infection. He is older now so maybe his ears work right. I don't know.

Question 1: Should I give him decongestents to help dry him up? He is three so is that okay? Anything else recommended?

He now sleeps in underpants. He announced a few weeks ago that only babies and girls sleep in diapers so we gave up the pullups. It has been great but yesterday he woke up kind of damp in the morning. It didn't smell like pee but it seemed too heavy for sweat. I didn't make a fuss. Just cleaned it up and told him that his dad still wets the bed too. That seemed to cheer him up.

Question 2: Is it common to wet the bed and not wake up? There isn't anything I can do to help with that other than to not make it a big deal, right?
image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel

Comments

• rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    DarkAngel wrote: »
    Our ear infection saga continues. About three weeks ago, Xander woke up with blood coming out of his ear. The ENT thought his tube was coming out. An ear infection and two weeks later, the ENT was right because the tube was gone. Now he is congested again. Congestion has traditionally come two days before an ear infection. He is older now so maybe his ears work right. I don't know.

Question 1: Should I give him decongestents to help dry him up? He is three so is that okay? Anything else recommended?

He now sleeps in underpants. He announced a few weeks ago that only babies and girls sleep in diapers so we gave up the pullups. It has been great but yesterday he woke up kind of damp in the morning. It didn't smell like pee but it seemed too heavy for sweat. I didn't make a fuss. Just cleaned it up and told him that his dad still wets the bed too. That seemed to cheer him up.

Question 2: Is it common to wet the bed and not wake up? There isn't anything I can do to help with that other than to not make it a big deal, right?

actually, it won't be uncommon if he's 5 and still having a once in a while wet bed and sleeping through it.

some kids are harder sleepers than others. some kids have "bathroom dreams" where they think they are getting up to go to the bathroom or telling their parents and they are actually urinating in the bed.
    that was me.

the best thing to do at this stage is to have a strong, vinyl mattress cover that encloses the entire mattress. then put a fitted mattress protector over it that has a soft covering over it. if he has an accident, you only have to launder the sheets and the top fitted protector.

ETA: and if his mattress has already been stained with urine, go to whole foods and buy BioKleen. it's an enzyme spray that naturally gets rid of odors and organic stains, including urine, vomit, blood, etc. so not only will his mattress be left without even a hint of urine odor, but there won't be a telltale yellow ring left on the material either! i love this stuff!
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    rainshower wrote: »
    ETA: and if his mattress has already been stained with urine, go to whole foods and buy BioKleen. it's an enzyme spray that naturally gets rid of odors and organic stains, including urine, vomit, blood, etc. so not only will his mattress be left without even a hint of urine odor, but there won't be a telltale yellow ring left on the material either! i love this stuff!

I think you mean Bac-Out? It's made by Biokleen, but Bac-Out is the product you're thinking of. And I have to second the recommendation for it!
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    PixieCurl wrote: »

I think you mean Bac-Out? It's made by Biokleen, but Bac-Out is the product you're thinking of. And I have to second the recommendation for it!

that's it exactly!
    300.jpg

this stuff is so good, it got out nosebleed drops from our son's mattress over a year after the stains had set in. the spots are completely gone; you can't tell that there were ever stains on the mattress.:thumbright:
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users
    PixieCurl wrote: »

that's it exactly!
    300.jpg

this stuff is so good, it got out nosebleed drops from our son's mattress over a year after the stains had set in. the spots are completely gone; you can't tell that there were ever stains on the mattress.:thumbright:

Think I'm going to have to get that....
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    [quote=rainshower;821280some kids have "bathroom dreams" where they think they are getting up to go to the bathroom or telling their parents and they are actually urinating in the bed.
    that was me.

[/quote]

Me too...I remember that happening when I was 8 or so. I used to be afraid to spend the night with my friends for a while because of this.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Curl Connoisseur Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    There's really nothing to be done with a 3 year old night wetting. I had one kid who did it occasionally til he was like 10. It does eventually stop, I promise. If it gets bad, you can put him back in diapers for night, but, otherwise, just keep a waterproof cover over the mattress and be prepared to wash sheets.

I'd call the doctor about using a decongestant on a kid with a history of ear troubles.
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Catherine is 4 1/2 and she just wet the bed for the first time in 2 years. It happened yesterday morning. She said she "had a short dream" that she was going to the bathroom. It happens.

I have no advice about the ears. I hope X feels better soon!
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    double post

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the tips. So far, the wetting only happened once so I am not too worried. I just mainly want to make sure I control my response so he doesn't think he did something wrong. I do need to put a proper plastic cover on his mattress. Right now, I have the mattress pad from his crib under him. It worked for the accident he had but is only a temporary fix.

I called the doc on the ears. Haven't heard back yet.

Medussa, how did Catherine handle it? Was she okay with it? Xander hasn't had a daytime accident in a while but he is very hard on himself when it happens.

• medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    DarkAngel wrote: »
    Medussa, how did Catherine handle it? Was she okay with it? Xander hasn't had a daytime accident in a while but he is very hard on himself when it happens.

When she came downstairs, she said, "mom, I have some bad news. Something happened in my bed. It's a little wet. Just a small spot. I changed my pajamas." I told her it was okay, that it happens and that I would change the sheets. She seemed a tiny bit hesitant to mention it. I noticed she tried to downplay it. But she told me about her dream and it all made sense. I think they get a bit embarrassed about it, even though we don't make a big fuss about it.

It's funny because that night, I heard her yell, "mom! The pee pee is all dry now." I think she forgot that I was changing the sheets. :lol:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file