A VERY Over-due Birth Announcement!!!

SisaSisa Posts: 759Registered Users
(((First off, I know that this is way over-due... The custom is to post in the week or two following the birth, not 12 weeks later!

I also realize that I last posted here in August in a bit of a frenzy over not having attented birthing classes and worrying about which country I would / should be in to deliver. I hope that my lack of response to the wonderful advice in that thread, while admittedly inconsiderate on the surface, was not seen as a hit-and-run posting, and that you all might forgive me for the disappearance. I've been through a lot in the past few months, and did not mean to seek advice and solicit concern like that, and then run off and stop posting, nor did I wish to stay away this long.

I've always appreciated this site, and now more than ever this particular forum. I have learned a wealth of information from all of the lurking I did before I announced my pregnancy; you all have helped me more than you know, and better yet - you helped to soothe me and calm my fears about delivering 'unprepared'. I now know that yes - it really IS going to happen one way or another in the end! :mrgreen:)))

That said…

I would like to announce the arrival of my son!

He was born just one day before his due date, on Sunday, September 21st, 2008.

Unfortunately, I had believed the hype when everyone told me that I wasn’t going to deliver for another week or so… I had been painting and doing all sorts of active things in a hurry against the clock and calendar. Despite being a rather organized person most of the time, I wasn’t actually prepared for his birth to happen at any moment, and ended up being taken by surprise when I got up late at night to use the washroom and had my water break on the way!

After consulting with my midwife over the phone, I was advised to take a Tylenol and go back to bed for a bit, as the contractions were nothing more than menstrual period like at that point. I tried to settle down for the night, but they came closer and stronger faster than expected. I tried showering and such - anything to distract from the contractions, and then finally broke down and called her again. She explained that while she could not admit me if I wasn't in active labour, that she would come over and check me out, and if I wasn't ready, we'd wait it out at my house until I was. That sent me into a whirlwind; packing my bag for the Birthing Centre (I wasn't actually ready, remember? :)) while she drove the 45 minutes to my house.

After she arrived and did an examination and determined that I was already 9 cm dialated (!), she suggested we get to the Birthing Centre pronto! :lol:

I delivered him in a local Birthing Centre, which seemed to nicely combine the best of both the home and medical settings in my mind. I had been able to get an AMAZING midwife on short notice, even though I had been planning a more traditional delivery in the US. (To up-date from the no-birthing-classes-panic thread: I ended up going back to Canada at 37 weeks… I’d been in the USA, but going back was the rather hard-to-make decision I ended up making.) My lovely midwife brought me and my little boy through the labour and delivery process even more smoothly than anticipated, and now I honestly could not imagine doing it any other way! All in all – from beginning to end, I was in labour for about eleven hours. I started at around 12:30 AM, and managed to deliver naturally – without requiring drugs or other medical interventions – at 11:20 AM.

You all are right - midwives ROCK! (And kudos to my provincial government for covering their cost with our health care plan!)

My son was 20 1/2 inches long, and weighed 7 lbs. 1 oz.

We are both doing well, but there is a lot of commotion going on in this house (I'm at my parent's place again and it’s a bit of a stressful, “busy” environment… Ack!), and I can’t seem to shake the feeling of being overwhelmed and sleep deprived. While I DO take the help when I absolutely need it, I try to avoid “passing him off” on my parents. I want him to know who his parents are, and it’s not them. I believe that he is my responsibility, not theirs, so I try to work through it with him. Since daddy is living away from us right now (he's still in the USA), I am pretty much busy day and night, caring for our little boy... And what an overwhelming task it is to care for an infant! (This AIN’T babysitting – ha ha ha!)

I am breastfeeding on cue, so we’re doing that quite a bit throughout the day… And night! I believe it’s the very best thing for him – I believe that with all my heart – but it sure does take time! He’s an incredibly good-natured baby and pretty much only cries when he’s hungry. While he slept like crazy during the day when he was first born, he’s now currently on a nap strike and barely sleeps during the day, even though he’s obviously T-I-R-E-D!!! This has been going on for a few weeks now, and I’m basically holding him most of the day at this point, and waiting it out. He seems to change patterns just when I get used to something.

While I am blissfully in love with this boy, caring for him presently leaves very little time for things that don’t revolve around being a mom. Unfortunately, this includes being active (and I was SO active throughout that pregnancy!) with my running. While I was still running 5k's at 37 weeks, I am now doing nothing, and have really dropped the ball post-partum. Tiredness and the tons of snow outside aren’t helping things. I am almost ashamed to admit that I now weigh more than I did after I had him. I'm GAINING weight even though it's supposed to 'just fall off' if you breastfeed! :-| A few of you might know that I have PCOS, and you might know just what that entails… With my weight shot up right now, I am experiencing many symptoms that had slowed when I was thinner and fit. I know that weight reduction through exercise and good eating is my only hope! I need to get things together and get back to a healthier me in the new year. I want to be an active mom when I play with my son, being a good example to him.

But enough of my whining… :cool:

I will now be the quintessential naturallycurly.com Attention Whore, and attach some (too many probably! :lol:) pictures of my precious boy. (I don’t have great pictures of he and I together at this point… I seem to be the one taking them so they're those *arm's reach* type shots for the most part.)

I know it may seem odd, but I have to refrain from posting his real name here. (I will be kind of 'pulling and Amneris' :mrgreen:, if you will, and I'll still be referring to him here on this site as “Baby Boy”.) It kind of sucks that I need to do this, but I am involved in a situation that requires it to be this way, and I want to protect his personal identity and identifying information and keep them from being posted on public areas of the web. I appreciate your understanding concerning this.

Well… Thanks for giving me the opportunity to introduce Baby Boy to you... I thank God for this little boy, and I thank you all for your kind thoughts and prayers!

IMG_1620_BirthAnnouncement_BB_75.jpg

IMG_0726_10_Crop.jpg

IMG_1240_10.jpg

IMG_1006_10.jpg

IMG_1565_10.jpg

IMG_1160_10.jpg

IMG_1592_10.jpg

IMG_1804_10_Crop.jpg

IMG_1847_10_Crop.jpg

IMG_1908_10_Crop.jpg

IMG_2164_10.jpg

IMG_2224_10.jpg

Comments

• ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    Thanks Sisa!

And congratulations again on a very cute Baby Boy! He is adorable. I really like the photo of two of you together with him in the brown/white striped onesie. :colors:
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • DelmaDelma Posts: 1,121Registered Users
    Congrats!!!! I love his eyes.
  • natural2anatural2a Posts: 154Registered Users
    Adorable. I have 2 boys of my own, so I know what fun that is. Enjoy! I'm amazed you had time to post at all, so consider that an accomplishment. Being active again will come when the time is right, and you will someday long for these days of lolling around with the baby.
    baby-fine 2a wavy hair
    growing out my bangs and short layers

Current routine, every day:
    Mastey Traite shampoo
    Mastey Frehair conditioner
    pink Boots curl creme (TINY amount)
    Aura Lemongrass Mousse
    scrunch with Curls Like Us Curl Cloth
    diffuse
    air dry
    scrunch out the crunch
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    Congratulations on your darling son! I'm glad you had a positive birth experience.

And if your parents are willing, don't hesitate to have them watch Baby Boy so you can exercise or have "me" time.

Don't be a stranger!
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Okay, I have to post quickly, since I have to scroll up pronto. Lilly keeps saying, "I want baby." I think she's in love.

Congratulations Sisa! Your son is so adorable!
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    He is SO HANDSOME!!!! I see that you have a wrap, which is exactly what I was going to suggest since you said you hold him most of the day.

One thing I had to adjust to in terms of exercise (since we weren't really comfortable leaving Sol in childcare at the gym) was to accept that I didn't have to have a complete workout, and to just do whatever I could when I could. I would walk outside while wearing him (which I realize isn't really possible this time of year) and do squats and lunges in the house while wearing him, and pushups and ab work with him laying nearby (or while he napped). It's not the same as cardio but I believe it helped a little bit. Also, find out if there's a Stroller Fitness class in your area. We used to attend one when Sol was little and I'd just bring a sling or wrap with me in case he got fussy and wanted out of the stroller. Lastly, you may want to invest in a jogging stroller (new or used) when the weather gets nicer, because I know from your posts that running is something you really enjoy and take pride in and I think it would be good for you.

Thank you SO much for sharing your birth story. It sounds wonderful. I'm curious, since your water broke before you were in active labor, did your midwife mention anything about time restraints or would she have let you progress naturally as long as it took? (I ask because my water broke first and they tried to get me to deliver within 24 hours, but I resisted induction until 30 hours and didn't finally deliver until about 44 hours)

I'm glad to hear breastfeeding is going well too! Do you cosleep? That really makes the night-time feedings easier for me!

ETA: Oh, and we have the same Boppy cover!
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Congrats, again!
    Love the pic of him lookin' at you :D
    I think he looks like you...of course, hubby always laughs at me b/c he thinks it's too early to tell, but I think one can tell early on...lol
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Beautiful boy and mama! Congrats on a smooth birth! Don't worry, you will settle into a routine eventually. :)
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • KitathenaKitathena Posts: 1,666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Congrats! What a beautiful little boy!
    00f0fe4a-6e80-4412-94d4-a8bc465cb7ae_zps1be28d8c.jpg?t=1377261778
    My blogs: NewlyNatural.com
    My fotki pw:hair
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users
    Very sweet pictures. Congrats!!
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Congrats! He is beautiful.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • realisticrealistic Posts: 2,222Registered Users Curl Novice
    Awww congratulations!!! He's so cute! :love2:
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    Congratulations! I'm glad everything went well. Your little boy is adorable and you are lovely as well.
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    Congratulations! I'm glad you're both doing well and you had a very positive birth. What a sweet baby boy.

I can sympathize with the post-partum weight concerns, but you look beautiful and glowing!
    ehLB.jpg
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Congrats! What a beautiful story!

It does take time to find a new routine, and it is so hard being away from daddy.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Congratulations! He's adorable!
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    Congratulations Sisa!!!! Baby Boy is precious! I love the picture of the two of you in the red sweater/sling - is that a set, or what is it? It's so nice! You look great too - I know the frustration of wanting to get back in shape, but don't rush yourself - you're dealing with a lot right now.

Sounds like you had a great, fast birth, and YAY for Ontario midwives! I hope the rest of your situation is resolved soon (luckily you have the parental support) and LOL at "pulling an Amneris." God bless you and your family!

Oh, and you didn't need to apologize for "posting and running" - you had a lot going on. I'm just glad everything worked out well. Good for you!
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    He's a beautiful baby, Sisa! Congrats!
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    Congratulations! You and Baby Boy are gorgeous! You look so happy.

I'm glad you had a good birth experience and I hope everything else works out soon.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    congrats!
    hello.world.
  • mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    yay sisa! so good to hear from you! i'm so happy for you, he's absolutely gorgeous!!!!

(:

don't worry, i exclusively breastfeed (well, now she's dabbling heavily in solids) on demand too and gained before i started losing. you'll get back into the swing of things once you've recovered your strength, don't worry! just rest as much as you can and don't get wiped out!

lots of love,

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• MarMar Posts: 3,004Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Sisa-he is absolutely precious and you look beautiful!
    Congratulations,sweetie!
    "what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
    -Mother Theresa
  • sariroosariroo Posts: 1,958Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wow, he is a doll! Congrats on your baby boy!
    316vq4y.jpg
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    congratulations!
  • SisaSisa Posts: 759Registered Users
    Thanks for the compliments, good advice, and encouragement, everyone! :)

medussa wrote: »
    Lilly keeps saying, "I want baby." I think she's in love.

He would do well to land a gorgeous girl like Lilly! ;-)

PixieCurl wrote: »
    One thing I had to adjust to in terms of exercise (since we weren't really comfortable leaving Sol in childcare at the gym) was to accept that I didn't have to have a complete workout, and to just do whatever I could when I could. I would walk outside while wearing him (which I realize isn't really possible this time of year) and do squats and lunges in the house while wearing him, and pushups and ab work with him laying nearby (or while he napped). It's not the same as cardio but I believe it helped a little bit. Also, find out if there's a Stroller Fitness class in your area. We used to attend one when Sol was little and I'd just bring a sling or wrap with me in case he got fussy and wanted out of the stroller. Lastly, you may want to invest in a jogging stroller (new or used) when the weather gets nicer, because I know from your posts that running is something you really enjoy and take pride in and I think it would be good for you.

Thank you SO much for sharing your birth story. It sounds wonderful. I'm curious, since your water broke before you were in active labor, did your midwife mention anything about time restraints or would she have let you progress naturally as long as it took? (I ask because my water broke first and they tried to get me to deliver within 24 hours, but I resisted induction until 30 hours and didn't finally deliver until about 44 hours)

I'm glad to hear breastfeeding is going well too! Do you cosleep? That really makes the night-time feedings easier for me!

Thanks for the encouragement and advice regarding the jogging stroller! It is a MUST-have purchase for this spring. I even asked for money toward it for Christmas, and got $100! I want a good one, so I am willing to save a bit and get it.

Additionally, I have made a very small goal - and so far I'm meeting it. The goal is to run 20 - 30 minutes three times a week. Last week I did it, and I just have to run tomorrow and I'll have done it again.

I had tried exercise videos, but it seemed to bother him seeing me there in the same room for 45 minutes, and he cried to be picked up. When I'm out of sight, he's A-OK for the 30 - 40 minutes I'm out running, go figure. :)

As for the water breaking, she didn't seem uber-concerned... She wanted to see a progression of labour, but she wasn't rushing me at all, which was nice.

I initially wasn't going to co-sleep, but we've been doing it anyway. He really HATES the Pack 'n Play with bassinet thing I had bought - even though it was the luxury one. :rolleyes: He sleeps really well when we co-sleep - even better than me unfortunately! Lately we've been compromising: First sleep in the carseat (Yes, I know, I know... It's not a bed!) so that I can get some alone sleep, and then after the first waking he's with me for the rest of the night. :)

Amneris wrote: »
    I love the picture of the two of you in the red sweater/sling - is that a set, or what is it? It's so nice!

Believe it or not, it's just a quickie wrap made out of some pretty thick double knit polyester-y fabric I picked up in a $1 / yard bin at Wal-Mart in the States. No sewing or anything - just cut 20" wide. I got three wraps out of that piece for $5... An awesome deal! It looks pretty once it's all tied on from far enough back, even though it's just a quickly cut piece of fabric. :)

mayim wrote: »
    don't worry, i exclusively breastfeed (well, now she's dabbling heavily in solids) on demand too and gained before i started losing. you'll get back into the swing of things once you've recovered your strength, don't worry! just rest as much as you can and don't get wiped out!

Thanks. I really needed to hear that. :)
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    Sisa! Congratulations and what a great birth!

He looks a lot like you, what a beautiful baby. Mine also were less than thrilled to watch me work out in house as well as unconvinced by the pack n play but cosleeping is fluid throughout the years and will change to accommodate the family's needs. the fave spot for sleeping here is a baby sling chair LOL.
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Congrats Sisa, he is a cutie!!!

Don't worry about the car seat...I had several friends who did this because their babies slept better sitting up. Whatever works to get you some sleep is by all means the best. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file