Help me get started

baseballmamabaseballmama Posts: 33Registered Users
I'm so tired of fighting my wavy hair. I am very intrigued by the CG method and am getting the book. In the meantime, what do I need to do to get started? What shampoo do I need to use to clarify? What about a shampoo and conditioner(s) for the lo-poo method (my hair is so oily that I seriously doubt I can go completely no-poo). I think I'm a 2c - my hair is very thick and course. What styling products can you recommend? I know this is trial & error, but I need a starting point. Exact names (and easily available) are greatly appreciated.

Also, what item do you like to use for plopping? I have one of those twisty towels - is that not okay? What is pineappling?

TIA!

Comments

• baseballmamabaseballmama Posts: 33Registered Users
    I should add that my hair is about shoulder length. And I live in Texas (think HIGH humidity), so frizz control is a must.
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have had great success with the Deva line. I also can't get rid of poo yet as I'm pretty oily. I use Low-Poo, OneCondition, BeLeave-In, and AnGell. Its a great place to start on mod-CG but can be a little pricey. I'm trying out some new cheaper drugstore products that others have liked such as Suave Naturals Coconut conditioner for co-wash, Loreal Nutri Gloss, and Loreal Out of Bed. Make sure you buy products with no cones and no sulfates. Get a clear gel. This site has some great tips on clarifying first and ACV rinses. http://livecurlylivefree.com/home.htm

Most of us plop with a t-shirt. I went to the fabric store and bought t-shirt cotten and made my own towels and it was really inexpensive. Hopefully I helped a little. Good luck!
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• LouisianaLeighLouisianaLeigh Posts: 211Registered Users
    Hi there! I'm in Louisiana so I feel you on the humidity!

One way to get product ideas is to watch signatures of people who seem to have hair similar to yours.

The entire Suave Naturals line is good for co-washing (a lot do like the coconut as it's the most moisturizing of them, but some people find it's too much for a co-wash). There are also some V05 options (i forget all their 'cone-free lines but i think there are about 3 of them...their naturals, the silk therepy, and the tea therapy?). Always check ingredient lists to be sure though!

If you have access to a Whole Foods you will have access to a wider range of cone-free stuff, although some of the brands they sell have started showing up in RiteAids and Wal-Marts.

For low-poo I'm a big fan of the Giovanni 50-50, and that is available at Target/RiteAid/Whole Foods.

Rinse-out/heavier conditioners: Walgreen's find was the BioInfusion Hydrating Conditioning Balm. I also like Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose (Whole Foods or health store brand).

Lately I have tried the Loreal Vive Nutrigloss for Long Hair that's curly/wavy. I'm liking it so far (2 uses as a rinse-out) but I'm trying it as an experiment to test a sensitivity.

you should check out the following site for some great insight into what your specific hair type might do best with that has nothing to do with your curl pattern: http://livecurlylivefree.com

HTH and welcome
    wurly, fine to medium, currently growing for waist-length
    embracing the waves since 10/20/08
    my hair loves protein and hates jojoba oil, my scalp hates propylene glycol, my face hates silicones.
    Bought & read the book today. Here's what I got to get started with:

Baby shampoo (for clarifying tonight)
    Giovanni 50:50 for low-poo days
    L'Oreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss Conditioner
    Giovanni Direct Leave-In Conditioner
    Herbal Essences Body Envy Gel
    Garnier Fructis Curl Shaping Gel
    Wide Tooth Comb

Does that sound right?
    i know all of them except the garnier are CG from personal experience. i'm assuming you checked that one for cones, too, since you got everything else right.

it looks like a great place to start to me!

good luck and keep us updated!
    my hair loves protein and hates jojoba oil, my scalp hates propylene glycol, my face hates silicones.
  • TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Posts: 671Registered Users
    Check out Laura Lee's article on how to go CG, it's the 1st or 2nd thread in the General board. That will give you a good start.
    Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
    Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
    Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
    LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
    For inquiring minds who want to know:
    http://www.public.fotki.com/TillyErnissee
    i know all of them except the garnier are CG from personal experience.

Here are the ingredients:

Water, PVP, DMDM Hydantoin, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, PEG-40, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, PEG-192 Apricot Kernel Glycerides, PEG-70 Mango Glycerides, Aminomethyl Propanol Polyacrylate-3, Propylene Glycol, Citrus Medica Limonium Extract Lemon, Fragrance.

Is it CG friendly?
    looks fine to me!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file