Breastmilk and it's contents

SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
So I was wondering what shows up and when in the breastmilk.

For instance, if I have my morning coffee, or an afternoon soda when will that caffeine show up. Is that enough to keep a baby more awake, or is it pretty diluted by that point?

What about alcohol? There's a beer that I like that only comes in 22oz bottles. Soren won't drink from a bottle, and I want to make sure before I drink a whole bottle of beer that he's not gonna get buzzed or something.

Comments

• PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    I drink coffee every morning (1-2 cups) but I'm too scared to have any caffeine later in the day, for fear it will affect Sol's sleep.

I think 22 oz of beer is fine - that's just under 2 regular sized beers. I'll have 1-2 glasses of wine now and then.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Here's some info on kellymom.com.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i pretty much stayed on my pregnancy restrictions while i was breastfeeding. but if i were going to drink something i would do it as i was breastfeeding because i knew it wouldnt be absorbed by the time she finished nursing. but i must admit it looks horrible to have a glass of wine in one hand and a baby latched on the other side.
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users

Thanks for the link, it was pretty helpful. :)
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    I also have 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning, but I don't want to have more than that. I feel like that's a safe amount, and I don't make my coffee super strong.

As for alcohol, I have a 12-oz Guinness most evenings. :occasion5: I feel like it helps my milk. I try to time it for right after the baby goes to bed and will be sleeping for a while, but as long as I don't feel drunk or tipsy, I don't think the baby will be harmed. If you felt concerned about the 22-oz beer, I'd say split it with your husband or someone.
    ehLB.jpg
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Sigi wrote: »

Thanks for the link, it was pretty helpful. :)

You're welcome! I have 1-2 cups of coffee many mornings. I don't have it later in the day b/c it keeps ME up.
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    I was drinking Coke at a party last weekend and another mom, who was drinking wine, said to me "I'd rather give the baby alcohol than caffeine!" It took me a minute to realize what she meant. But baby Iris still slept fine that night. *shrug*
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I've had a glass or two of wine while nursing and I haven't found it to have any negative effects on JJ. I try to time it for right after he eats, but he eats so often, and I like to have wine most nights, so often he gets some, and it hasn't seemed to be a problem.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• DelmaDelma Posts: 1,121Registered Users
    Here's another resource as far as alcohol goes anyway:
    http://www.cfpc.ca/cfp/2002/Jan/vol48-jan-clinical-1.asp
  • sundaysunday Posts: 535Registered Users
    I drink mass amounts of diet coke all day (I know, I know..) but my daughter sleeps fine.
    3 something
    fotki pw: sunday

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file