Dark Circles...Help?

MiyaniMiyani Posts: 37Registered Users
I am suffering from dark circles! I got them from my dad and they're just ugh! When I was younger, I did not really have them until I turned 10. But recently, I've been looking for some remedies to help lighten my dark circles. I've been using lemon juice for 3 years on my pimples and dark circles and that has lightened them just a little. And I found a recipe with sour cream and honey, I used that and it has made a big improvement, but I still see red and blue veins. I also can't wear makeup and I don't like to wear it lol. I don't know how to get rid of them, or at least make them not visible. Any tips?

Comments

• infpgirlinfpgirl Posts: 47Registered Users
    I have these too - and I've discovered that mine are from allergies! When I've got my allergies under control, my dark circles are almost non-existent. When my allergies are bad, the circles are very noticeable. I've been controlling my allergies by using a neti-pot twice a day...no drugs required.
    3a Fiii, CG since 10/10/08

Easily Overconditioned

Cleaning - alternate b/w poo bars/ACV rinse or cowash with Suave or V05

Rinse Out: anything Giovanni, L'oreal Nutri Gloss

Leave In: Conditioner/honey/h20 mixed in a spray bottle

Styling Prods: LOOB, LA Looks Sport, L'oreal TW, HESMU, KCCC

1st Day: add prod, scrunch with a tshirt, plop 10-15 mins, scrunch, add spray gel, diffuse till mostly dry

2nd Day: Aloe/H20 in spray bottle, scrunch & diffuse

(fav products bolded)
  • southblessingssouthblessings Posts: 16Registered Users
    I agree, allergies are often the culprit. I suffer them. However, that said, sometimes even w/allergies under control, the darkness persists for some. I've read that this can be genetic and is usually caused by thinner skin there (underlying blood is showing through the skin). There are some eye creams which claim to help "shrink" this blood supply. I have not had ANY luck with any eye products, though. I've tried MANY, but not all. I don't advise spending big $$ on trying to elim dk circles...it just doesn't seem to work. I use mineral makeup (powder), and this system (incl concealer on my undereyes) is the best thing I've ever used. I really like my mineral makeup and the results that I get from powder-type undereye concealer vs. all other forms. Just a thought.
    :sunny: Forgiven Christ follower, happily married 10 years, homeschooling mom to 4, Dave Ramsey Method:book:debt-reducer, cloth diapering, type 2B/C? natural wavy, Currently: e.sen.cia poo :love4: & Suave Nat co-wash swap every other day, Sally brand PM The Detangler mix w/molasses (not loving anymore, but finishing it off), and Ouidad's CCG until it's gone, then back to Jessicurl's RR & CC :wink:. Ouidad's Deep Treat 2x monthly.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,729Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    hi, i write the makeup column here at NC and one of the most frequent questions i get is "what can i do for dark circles?"

these are 99% hereditary and based on how close blood vessels are to the surface and skin thickness.

NO cream in the world will work!!!

one thing that does help is raising the head of your bed so that blood doesn't pool in that area when you are sleeping. it only has to be a couple of inches - and it will make a difference.

yellow or orange-toned concealers are the best makeup colours for hiding dark circles - i realize the OP doesn't want to wear makeup, but as the poster above has noted, some people use mineral makeup products to good effect.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • FallOutCurlFallOutCurl Posts: 339Registered Users Curl Novice
    This may sound bizarre but ever thought of trying a thin slice of cucumber over each eye. I over heard my aunt mention this to a friend once, but never had to try it. It could well be allergies in which case going to you GP/doctor to see what they can do for you.
  • mrl234mrl234 Posts: 548Registered Users
    I have these too. They are always much better when I'm sleeping well, exercising and eating right, and will look worse when I'm not in great health. Using a cold used teabag as a compress helps decrease puffiness as well as helping circles a little bit. However, no cream or anything will actually change them. If you feel really bad about them, try some concealer - I think yellowish concealers tend to work the best.
    :happy10:
    fia 2C/3A-F-iii, sensitive to some proteins
    CGish since 10-16-08
    Low-poo: Yes to Carrots Daily Pampering Shampoo (1-2x/week)
    Rinse outs: Yes to Carrots Pampering Mud Conditioner
    Styling: a little bit of leave in and a little bit of KCCC, diffusing
    Olive oil DTs, honey rinses in the summer :)
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,729Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    cucumbers are for puffiness, not dark circles.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • MiyaniMiyani Posts: 37Registered Users
    rouquinne wrote: »
    hi, i write the makeup column here at NC and one of the most frequent questions i get is "what can i do for dark circles?"

these are 99% hereditary and based on how close blood vessels are to the surface and skin thickness.

NO cream in the world will work!!!

one thing that does help is raising the head of your bed so that blood doesn't pool in that area when you are sleeping. it only has to be a couple of inches - and it will make a difference.

yellow or orange-toned concealers are the best makeup colours for hiding dark circles - i realize the OP doesn't want to wear makeup, but as the poster above has noted, some people use mineral makeup products to good effect.

Yeah I can't wear it b/c I start to break out and get a rash, even w/ hypoallergenic makeup, plus I'm not allowed to wear it...my mom lol.
  • MiyaniMiyani Posts: 37Registered Users
    mrl234 wrote: »
    I have these too. They are always much better when I'm sleeping well, exercising and eating right, and will look worse when I'm not in great health. Using a cold used teabag as a compress helps decrease puffiness as well as helping circles a little bit. However, no cream or anything will actually change them. If you feel really bad about them, try some concealer - I think yellowish concealers tend to work the best.

I've tried teabags before but that never works for me. and I try to get 10 hours of sleep a day but I don't get alot of vitamins in my system either and I might be low on iron or something b/c I sleep more than usual...14 hours. I need like some recipes like something I can mix together that is also good for getting rid of dark circles. The only thing that has slightly lightened my dark circles was milk and maple syrup mix.
  • relaxedmess!relaxedmess! Posts: 98Registered Users
    im a 3b... and have
    very weird layers...

event.png

really cant wait to grow them out. ♥
  • Noelle1966Noelle1966 Posts: 87Registered Users
    It is so funny - as soon as I am about to post something - someone else posts it! It is like this website is psychic to my needs. I suffer from dark circles. My sister sells Avon and I was just asking her if she had anything that would help. Creams, etc. are so expensive, so I am glad to get the inside that they do not work. I am going to try some new concealer. I suffer from allergies big time and I also think I have the circles from heredity. I will certainly try the tea bag trick.:thumbup:
    3A. I like Wella Kolestral. I also like a lot of products made by Nexxus.
  • shimmer_sparkleshimmer_sparkle Posts: 17Registered Users
    Honestly, mine are completely hereditary and NOTHING works on them. I've tried many creams and gels. The best thing I can do is conceal as well as I can. :(

I use cucumbers occasionally for puffiness, and they work well for that.
  • ~GypsyCurls~~GypsyCurls~ Posts: 351Registered Users
    I don't have a problem with puffiness, just dark circles. There seem to be many more solutions for puffiness! I heard that vitamin K will help with dark circles, since it helps thicken the skin. Is there any truth to this, or is it more B.S.?
    2c/3a/3b curls, tailbone length, fairy tale ends
    Cleansers: V05 Co
    Conditioners: KMS Everyday, Dove Dry Oil Care

DT/Treats:Aphogee Protein Treat/Hemp/Argan Oil
    Leave-ins/Stylers: All HE Condish, Generic PM The Conditioner

• wildwoodflowrwildwoodflowr Posts: 63Registered Users
    Apple juice! I've been using Juice Organics Brightening Serum (apple juice is the first ingredient...the second is lemon juice) under my eyes where I have dark circles and that helps alot. I also used to put a slice of an apple under each eye for about 15 minutes or more and that surprisingly helped alot. The only down side is that I'd have to do that at least once a week or more so I've found using the Juice Organics product everyday is easier. If I don't use it everyday, the darkness keeps coming back. Hope that helps, this doesn't make them disappear for me, but they definitely turn more pinkish instead of dark.
    3a to 3b Medium/Coarse iii, Protein Sensitive

Occasional Cleanser: EO Products Sweet Orange Shampoo
    Conditioners: VO5 or Suave Conditioners (Co-wash), GVP Conditioning Balm (Rinse Out/Leave In), AOHR (Deep Treat)
    Stylers: Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel, Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Nectar (SOTC)

• millie_(A)TCKmillie_(A)TCK Posts: 404Registered Users
    I've had dark circles all my life and finally after years found a solution.

Aloe vera gel around your eyes before sleepig, the best brand for this is from a Dutch company called the De Tuinen. It works like magic.

Drink always tons of water

and during the day use total 7x eye Transforming cream.
    These three things have reduced greatly my dark circles. And of course there is always a good concealer!
    3c/4a. Very Fine and Thin.
    Moisturizers: QB Burdock Root butter creme, Curl Junkie, Abba Pure Gentle leave-in
    Styling Products: Curls Souffle, Curl Junkie Coffee Creme
    Curl Cremes: Jessicurl Confident Coils
    Conditioners: Deva Curl One, Mixed Chics DC, Nature's Gate Biotin
    DT:AO Honeysuckle Rose, Coconut oil.
    wildwoodflwr, where can you purchase the product you're talking about?

• wildwoodflowrwildwoodflowr Posts: 63Registered Users
    wildwoodflwr, where can you purchase the product you're talking about?

I know Target and Ulta carry it. In Target, its in the cosmetic section where they sell Dr. Bronner's and natural things. I think CVS used to carry it also but possibly only the bigger CVS stores?

I got a sample of it when I bought some Juice Organics face lotion and I just ran out of my little sample. It lasted a looong time. Juice Organics also sells a brightening kit that has samples of their brightening line which is cheaper so you could test it out.

Was actually thinking about trying the total effects eye transforming cream that millie_(A)TCK suggested though, which I think is Olay since I really like Olay lotion and to see if it gives better results. hehe I wish I could just stick to a product sometimes.
    3a to 3b Medium/Coarse iii, Protein Sensitive

Occasional Cleanser: EO Products Sweet Orange Shampoo
    Conditioners: VO5 or Suave Conditioners (Co-wash), GVP Conditioning Balm (Rinse Out/Leave In), AOHR (Deep Treat)
    Stylers: Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel, Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Nectar (SOTC)

Okay, thanks! I am actually going to Ulta today anyway to return some stuff, and there is a Target nearby there too. I have seem the Juice Organics stuff in passing, but never tried it before.

Also at Ulta, they have Befine "Food" Skincare. I noticed they have a product called "Eye Blossoms" that are supposed to work on dark circles...

I'm not sure if I've tried the 7x Transforming Eye Cream...I think it was the version for the whole face but I ended up switching to another product anyway, before I could really see results. I know that Olay has a reputation for being as good/better than the uber-expensive stuff you go to Department stores to get. That could just be their advertising though, lol!

• millie_(A)TCKmillie_(A)TCK Posts: 404Registered Users
    I saw an ad for this today and it seems promising: Garnier eye roll on

http://www.garnier.co.uk/_en/_gb/our_products/products_skincare.aspx?tpcode=OUR_PRODUCTS%5EPRD_SKINCARE%5ECAFFEINE_SKIN%5ECAFFEINE_SKIN_DISCOVER&prdcode=P19108

Also hemmorhoid cream helps reduce puffiness (if thats also a concern)

lastly there are many great tips on this site:
    http://www.aryacity.com/BeautyTips/BeautyTips-Dark-circles.html
    3c/4a. Very Fine and Thin.
    Moisturizers: QB Burdock Root butter creme, Curl Junkie, Abba Pure Gentle leave-in
    Styling Products: Curls Souffle, Curl Junkie Coffee Creme
    Curl Cremes: Jessicurl Confident Coils
    Conditioners: Deva Curl One, Mixed Chics DC, Nature's Gate Biotin
    DT:AO Honeysuckle Rose, Coconut oil.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file