CurlTalk

My very long guide on how to go CG

So I remember when I was new I was excited to go CG but had problems pulling all the information out there together. I thought that the articles I was reading were great, but they were all over the net! I knew that I wanted to write an all in one guide to going CG and tonight I wrote it. Took about two hours.

Please tell me what you think. I'm hoping it'll be a useful resource to newbies :)

It's my most recent blog post. It looks longer than it is because of the page formatting (skinny column for blogging). Link to my blog is in my sig

Comments

• sharon5152sharon5152 Posts: 207Registered Users
    Your blog looks great! Your CG explanations are wonderfully clear--and it doesn't look too long or overwhelming. Great job!
    3a/b
    Wash: CJ Daily Fix, KM shampoo bars, Giovanni 50:50 Clarifying
    Co-wash/Condish: Curls Coconut Sublime Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI & Styling: KBB milk, CJ Beauticurls LI, CJ Coffee-Coco Curl Lite cream, CJ CIAB
    DT: CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix, Shea Butter

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fsharon5152%2F" class="Popup
  • Laura LeeLaura Lee Posts: 1,828Registered Users
    sharon5152 wrote: »
    Your blog looks great! Your CG explanations are wonderfully clear--and it doesn't look too long or overwhelming. Great job!

• jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users
    Bravo, Laura Lee! Nice job!
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fjillipoo.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
    jillipoo wrote: »
    Bravo, Laura Lee! Nice job!

Thank you! I'm quite proud of it haha :blob3:
  • EstelleEstelle Posts: 89Registered Users
    Laura Lee wrote: »
    So I remember when I was new I was excited to go CG but had problems pulling all the information out there together. I thought that the articles I was reading were great, but they were all over the net! I knew that I wanted to write an all in one guide to going CG and tonight I wrote it. Took about two hours.

Please tell me what you think. I'm hoping it'll be a useful resource to newbies :)

It's my most recent blog post. It looks longer than it is because of the page formatting (skinny column for blogging). Link to my blog is in my sig

Hi,

Thank you very much for that informative writing. I am going to send this to my cousin. Yesterday she asked me why my hair was curlier and beautiful. Guess what? I started to talk about this site and the CG method. OMG I could not stop talking about both. lol.
    Estelle wrote: »
    Laura Lee wrote: »

Hi,

Thank you very much for that informative writing. I am going to send this to my cousin. Yesterday she asked me why my hair was curlier and beautiful. Guess what? I started to talk about this site and the CG method. OMG I could not stop talking about both. lol.

I know what you mean. My grandma asked what I had changed about my hair routine and we talked about it for probably 45 mins to an hour! It's so easy and fun to be carried away with! I'm glad you found it informative :rendeer:
  • DiamondsCurlsDiamondsCurls Posts: 167Registered Users
    i started tonite then i read ur blog i hope i dont have to start over but it was great i added it to my favorite folder....i used Kinky Curly's Shampoo which does not have sulphates but cleans the hair slate the same because [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] doesnt do well with other products already on hair....well thanks again
    :afro:
    Hair Type: 3b-c/m/i
    HGs:KCKT KCCC
    Using:cowash VO5, TJ Nurish, orGVP PM Detandler condish/l.i. KCKT, stylers EcoStyler or ORS L&T, SheaButter Coconut Oil or EVOO seal, DT amla or brahmi powder ,DC AOHR, Henna, Multi+Biotin+FishOil+Probiotic
    Want 2 Try: Qhem Curls
    formerly KinkzNCurlz
  • sexyjacksparrowsexyjacksparrow Posts: 439Registered Users
    Thanks for sharing that Laura. I will read more fully at home. I do love your blog though!

Kerry xx
    [FONT=&quot]UK curly - mostly 2c[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Going back to basics![/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Happily using a mixture of sulphates, cones and CG products.
      [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Permanently undecided whether to cut or grow![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Currently loving:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Lush I Love Juicy shampoo
    Charles Worthington frizz smoothing conditioner[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Superdrug coconut & almond intensive conditioner[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Montagne Jeunesse avocado & cherry bark mask[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Umberto Giannini curl gel
    Boots 'pink' curl creme
    [/FONT]
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users
    i started tonite then i read ur blog i hope i dont have to start over but it was great i added it to my favorite folder....i used Kinky Curly's Shampoo which does not have sulphates but cleans the hair slate the same because [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] doesnt do well with other products already on hair....well thanks again

Don't want to guano the thread, Laura Lee your blog is really well done and informative.

Most of us have found that [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] not working well with other products is just a rumor. I've used it since last April with just about everything but other KC products. I didn't find the KCKT moisturizing enough. I use it with all of the products in my signature and more--with great success. Since [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] is so popular, wouldn't want people to think that they can't use it with other products.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    LL. Dont have time to read it now. Will read it after work. But kudos to you for putting the time in - i BET ITS great!
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • aoedecmjaoedecmj Posts: 85Registered Users
    *Sigh of Relief*

My cousin was just asking about going CG and I was dreading the hour plus it was going to take me to write it all out . . . you just saved me all that time and energy! GREAT job and THANK YOU!
    CG since 10/5/08
    Faux Red-head since 1997 - recent henna head
    3a/2b
    CoWash: Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut
    Conditioners: L'Oreal Vivre Pro Nutrigloss
    Winter Stylers: KCKT, KCCC, FOTE, BRHG, Boots
    Summer products I'm missing: CK, re:Coil, Tweek
    Techniques: single plop, pixiecurl diffuse

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Faoedecmj%2F" class="Popup
  • alaskankatalaskankat Posts: 8Registered Users
    Thank you so much for posting this! It definitely has some info in it that I wish I had known when I first went CG.
    Extremely helpful!
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    Wow, nice job! I bet that took a long time. I wrote a 20-page addendum to the CG book in the summer for my "curly workshops" with my friends and cousins. It took forever! Anyway, I'm sure that will be a great help to the newbies.
  • NinjaCurlNinjaCurl Posts: 33Registered Users
    Thank you very muh for that, it was extremely useful. It certainly did clear up a lot of things for me. I have a question though, I have been on cg for 3 weeks now, and I have been wasing my scalp with a moistourising conditoner, but my scalp does get oily and smell. What should I do?
    2b with some 3a i think
    Polish/Uk Curlie (:
    CG since 23 Nov 2008
    NinjaCurl wrote: »
    Thank you very muh for that, it was extremely useful. It certainly did clear up a lot of things for me. I have a question though, I have been on cg for 3 weeks now, and I have been wasing my scalp with a moistourising conditoner, but my scalp does get oily and smell. What should I do?

What conditioner are you using? How often do you co-wash?

I co-wash every 4-5 days and I'm using Aussie miracle moist (UK product) I think I'll start using a different one though.
    2b with some 3a i think
    Polish/Uk Curlie (:
    CG since 23 Nov 2008

I co-wash every 4-5 days and I'm using Aussie miracle moist (UK product) I think I'll start using a different one though.

Are these the ingredients?

Aqua, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Cetyl Esters, Acetamide MEA, Sodium PCA, Amodimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Emulsifying Wax, DMDM Hydantoin, Propylparaben, Propylene Glycol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Gel, Trideceth-12, Queensland Nut (Macadamia Ternifolia) Extract, Chamomile (Athemis Nobilis) Extract, Kangaroo Paw (Anigozanthos Flavidus) Flower Extract, Dandelion (Taraxacum Officinale) Extract, Calendula (Calendula Officinalis) Extract, Wild Cherry Bark (Prunus Serotina) Extract, Horsetail (Equisetum Arvense) Extract, Sambucus (Sambucus Nigra) Extract, Garlic (Allium Sativum) Extract, Nettle (Urtica Dioica) Extract, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben, CI 19140, CI 17200

That one can build up on people. I'd recommend starting over and co-washing every other day. If it gets greasy again add some lemon juice. If that doesn't work, there are some other things you can do and everyone here is happy to help!
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    What a great guide to CG, Laura Lee! Very informative and helpful. Thanks for posting it! :thumbright:
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com

Are these the ingredients?

Aqua, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Cetyl Esters, Acetamide MEA, Sodium PCA, Amodimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Emulsifying Wax, DMDM Hydantoin, Propylparaben, Propylene Glycol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Gel, Trideceth-12, Queensland Nut (Macadamia Ternifolia) Extract, Chamomile (Athemis Nobilis) Extract, Kangaroo Paw (Anigozanthos Flavidus) Flower Extract, Dandelion (Taraxacum Officinale) Extract, Calendula (Calendula Officinalis) Extract, Wild Cherry Bark (Prunus Serotina) Extract, Horsetail (Equisetum Arvense) Extract, Sambucus (Sambucus Nigra) Extract, Garlic (Allium Sativum) Extract, Nettle (Urtica Dioica) Extract, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben, CI 19140, CI 17200

That one can build up on people. I'd recommend starting over and co-washing every other day. If it gets greasy again add some lemon juice. If that doesn't work, there are some other things you can do and everyone here is happy to help!

No, the silicone you highlighted isnt on the ingredients list at the back of my bottle. This product is CG (been confirmed by other Uk curlies) Thank you for your tips, I think I will co-wash my hair more often.
    2b with some 3a i think
    Polish/Uk Curlie (:
    CG since 23 Nov 2008

No, the silicone you highlighted isnt on the ingredients list at the back of my bottle. This product is CG (been confirmed by other Uk curlies) Thank you for your tips, I think I will co-wash my hair more often.

Ah, the UK site I looked at lied to me. The transition period usually lasts a few weeks, but I do think co-washing more often will help. Good luck!
  • violetcurlsvioletcurls Posts: 434Registered Users
    Wow, great blog. I never get tired of reading the CG explanations because each time they clear something up. Thank you for writing it!

Go Laura Lee! :wav:
    3a/b ?

Unleash the curls!

Nobody move! I dropped me brain. ~Jack Sparrow
    ...loved the blog but i have a problem....im getting back into my swimming routine so is it possible to be cg and swim... i usually put a condish in my hair before....but im not sure and the book isnt available yet at my library.....
    Using:cowash VO5, TJ Nurish, orGVP PM Detandler condish/l.i. KCKT, stylers EcoStyler or ORS L&T, SheaButter Coconut Oil or EVOO seal, DT amla or brahmi powder ,DC AOHR, Henna, Multi+Biotin+FishOil+Probiotic
    formerly KinkzNCurlz
  • Noelle1966Noelle1966 Posts: 87Registered Users
    Wow! I learned a lot. By the way, your hair is beautiful. I do have one question - I tend to go swimming. Is it ok to wash with conditioner after swimming? Will it eliminate the chlorine?
    3A. I like Wella Kolestral. I also like a lot of products made by Nexxus.
    Noelle1966 wrote: »
    Wow! I learned a lot. By the way, your hair is beautiful. I do have one question - I tend to go swimming. Is it ok to wash with conditioner after swimming? Will it eliminate the chlorine?

thats the same thing i want to kno lol
    formerly KinkzNCurlz
  • ArjaeArjae Posts: 412Registered Users
    Thanks Laura Lee! That was super-duper-ally-ooper helpful! (Lol). Now I know have something to direct people to for a summary of the CG method. The Curly Girl book wasn't really that helpful for me. :)
    3A, medium fine. Currently avoiding shampoos, 'cones, 'xanes and sulfates. Hair length - a bit beyond BSL. Mostly CG since July 2, 2008.oregonian_showersmile.gif
    ...loved the blog but i have a problem....im getting back into my swimming routine so is it possible to be cg and swim... i usually put a condish in my hair before....but im not sure and the book isnt available yet at my library.....

I've done a few searches on this just because I manage a pool during the summer so I needed to know because it's inevitable that the manager gets pushed in by the kids every so often hahaha [I love them all so it doesn't bother me and they have fun]. From what I've been able to gather, it's definitely doable. I've read that if you complete saturate your hair prior to getting in the water, then it won't soak up as much of the chemical content of the water. Another thing to do is to put a thin film of conditioner on your hair when you wet it as an added barrier. I've also read that there is a gentler chlorine removing poo out there, but I'll have to search for the name
  • RicciPerfettiRicciPerfetti Posts: 45Registered Users
    Thanks! It really helped me get started...
    :toothy9:
    3b M ii

CG Since: Dec. 16, 2008
    CO Wash: Johnson's Baby Conditioner
    DC: LVPNG Masque? + Honey (& lemon juice)
    Leave in: LVPNG cream?, homemade FSG

Occasional: ACV/honey rinse, Brown Sugar Scrub
  • Noelle1966Noelle1966 Posts: 87Registered Users
    I saturated my hair with Alberto VO5 and use a bathing cap, but water still tends to leak in a bit.
    3A. I like Wella Kolestral. I also like a lot of products made by Nexxus.
    Noelle1966 wrote: »
    I saturated my hair with Alberto VO5 and use a bathing cap, but water still tends to leak in a bit.

I don't think it should make a huge difference. So long as your hair was saturated and protected with conditioner it should be fine. Also, I read that putting lemon in your cowash conditioner after you swim can take care of any chlorine that got in, but be careful with doing this a lot because the lemon juice is acidic and can be drying