Coloring Gray

sharon5152sharon5152 Registered Users Posts: 207
I'm about 1/4 gray-white, rest is a very dark brown. I've been coloring for years now to 1) cover the gray & 2) to brighten/lighten up the darkness of the rest of my hair...it made my pale skin look ghostly!

But the contrast of my roots has just become too noticeable, too soon after coloring. Used to be I could go 8 wks b/w coloring; now, 5-6. I can see it's just going to get worse. I'm going for coloring in two weeks--do y'all have any ideas of what I should be asking for? Something that's not quite so different from my regular brown, with highlights to blend in the gray? Something that blends everything together better...? Make sense?
3a/b
Wash: CJ Daily Fix, KM shampoo bars, Giovanni 50:50 Clarifying
Co-wash/Condish: Curls Coconut Sublime Moisturizing Conditioner
LI & Styling: KBB milk, CJ Beauticurls LI, CJ Coffee-Coco Curl Lite cream, CJ CIAB
DT: CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix, Shea Butter

http://public.fotki.com/sharon5152/

Comments

• BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Registered Users Posts: 4,940 Curl Neophyte
    I'm no expert on this, but I would recommend that you go to a salon for this endeavor. I like to use box dyes at home, but this sounds very complicated.
    If I were you, I would ask the hairdresser for some ideas. But I think highlighting your hair, so that the grays blend in and it's more of a transition, rather than an abrupt change form grays to dyed hair, would be better.
    I don't know if that even makes sense.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • sharon5152sharon5152 Registered Users Posts: 207
    Thanks for your response! Yeah, I made an appt with my stylist to do my color in a couple weeks--I also emailed her about this, and she said not to worry, that we'd figure it out together.
    3a/b
    LI & Styling: KBB milk, CJ Beauticurls LI, CJ Coffee-Coco Curl Lite cream, CJ CIAB

• cara4curlscara4curls Registered Users Posts: 336 Curl Neophyte
    Wow - 8 weeks before roots show, or even 5-6 weeks? You're doing great! Lots of people with grey hair have their roots show at only 2-3 weeks, maybe 4 at best. You have to remember that hair grows, plus all dyes fade after awhile. Many people complain that dyes only last 5-6 weeks, thinking that once they dye their hair they shouldn't have to do it again for several months, but not so! Again, that is very good mileage as they aren't really designed to stay as dark or vibrant any further out.
    I'm sure your stylist will be of good help here - I sure hope so!
    health-conscious, visionary artist in transition
  • marie777marie777 Registered Users Posts: 11
    I have very dark hair too. I'm probably 60 to 70 % gray/white and the rest is very dark. Major salt and pepper. If I go too dark you see a white line on my scalp and if I go to light you see the salt and pepper very clearly. So my hairdresser found a great color for me, it's a mixture of 7N and 6N which are dark blondes and she adds gray drops. This actually comes out brown and the gray looks like highlights. It's the best color I've had and even as they grow out the roots don't show up so much for some reason. I still go every four weeks. And I use Tween Time in brown (Tween Time is a temporary color stick like a crayon you can get at Sallys) it matches perfectly and no-one ever can tell I dye my hair. (At least I hope!) But, I've had people be shocked when they find out that I do. My hair looks like sort of a golden brown. hth
  • mary99mary99 Registered Users Posts: 52
    I emailed a very similar question to Karin at Robert Craig recently (I too have very dark hair with significant gray) and she responded that 'unfortunately with dark hair nothing really hides new growth'. Of course, we weren't talking highlighting, so that may still be a viable option.

I colored 3 weeks ago yesterday and my roots started bothering me today. I used to go 3-4 months. This is the color depositing stuff, I guess, though. Even with the permanent dyes I was getting down toward 4-6 weeks.
  • TaraVictoriaTaraVictoria Registered Users Posts: 374
    Robert Craig is very helpful - and they're colors are "kind" to curls... I too have dark hair, grey roots - every 4-5 weeks - like you, it's an issue. I used to use at home dyes - Loreal, etc... After a time, they build up in your hair - and now, I can't even do boxed dyes any more - it's too much. SO, Robert Craig was great and I go to Deva - they have great colorists. It's an expense, but a necessary one... Robert Craig can be done at home, inbetween salon visits too... Good luck!
    Tara - have a curly day!!!

LA Looks Curl Gel, Sauve Naturals conditioners Waterlily, CK, Deva Archangel , LOOB (has its days)...
    Deva One - LOVE it!!!!!!!

Botticelli's Flax Seed Hair Gel (a DIY!!!) THANKS Botticelli!!!!!!
    Curl Junkie Coffee Coco Creme (LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!)
    Shea Moisture Smoothie - GREAT stuff!

:angel5::angel5:
    for the love of the lens...

http://animafoto.smugmug.com/

www.animafoto.wordpress.com
  • meadowlark2meadowlark2 Registered Users Posts: 135 Curl Neophyte
    sharon5152 wrote: »
    I'm about 1/4 gray-white, rest is a very dark brown. I've been coloring for years now to 1) cover the gray & 2) to brighten/lighten up the darkness of the rest of my hair...it made my pale skin look ghostly!

But the contrast of my roots has just become too noticeable, too soon after coloring. Used to be I could go 8 wks b/w coloring; now, 5-6. I can see it's just going to get worse. I'm going for coloring in two weeks--do y'all have any ideas of what I should be asking for? Something that's not quite so different from my regular brown, with highlights to blend in the gray? Something that blends everything together better...? Make sense?

There's a going gray/coloring gray thread on the over 40 site. Check out journotraveler's post (#19) on using lowlights to blend very dark brown with gray. I don't see that option mentioned so far on this thread.

I have all the same concerns you do. In fact I could have written the post word for word, except that I need to touch up in 3 or 3 1/2 weeks. I currently use Clairol's root touch up which works well for the time being. I touch up 2 times and then see my stylist at about 10 weeks.

I'm looking for a better option too.

I'm intrigued by Marie777's solution. It probably won't work for me yet since the underneath hair is mostly dark and I'm still looking for lightening there. I wear my hair pulled back a lot and it looks very severe.

I have had success with a dark brown base and caramel highlights (professionally done). Color wise it was flattering, texture wise it was awful. Some hair tolerates highlights better than others. hth.
    cg Dec 08
    fine to med texture w/ some coarse / high porosity 2c to 3a

• sharon5152sharon5152 Registered Users Posts: 207
    Well, I got my coloring done today; rather than just do the roots, we decided to extend it throughout my hair, covering up the old highlights which were getting kinda brassy looking. Maybe I wasn't clear enough in discussing hi/lowlights, but my stylist thought I would end up needing platinum-blonde highlights to blend in the gray-white hair--yuk. Anyway, it's all a rich brown now and looks pretty, it's a change which I guess I needed. My hair is also really soft and healthy feeling, the curls are defined, shiny and bouncy! And I get a better lesson from her on how to use my deva fuser, avoiding the frizz I was creating.

So, I'm settled with the idea that I need to go in every 6 wks to do my roots--used to get a haircut that often! Thank you to everyone for your thoughts and input!
    3a/b

• meadowlark2meadowlark2 Registered Users Posts: 135 Curl Neophyte
    what brand of color did your stylist use?
    cg Dec 08
    fine to med texture w/ some coarse / high porosity 2c to 3a

• apointeapointe Registered Users Posts: 199
    I'm bumping this, as my question is semi-related to this thread. I'm 27 and already starting to see white hairs coming in. My mom was almost completely white haired at 30 (no gray ... just right to white) so it's definitely genetic. My hair is dark blonde/light brown and the hairs are definitely noticible.

I really do not want to dye my hair. I am about 2 inches from growing out a dye from about 1.5 years ago and I hated the way it thinned and damaged my hair. Is there any way to cover or blend these hairs without doing a full dye job?

Thanks so much for your help!
    NYC - but originally from Philly!

2c/3a - coarse texture, little volume - still experimenting!

2007-2008 Curly Fantasy Football Champion! :hello1:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file