Goodness, gracious, great balls of... cake! And alcohol!

badgercurlsbadgercurls Posts: 3,077Registered Users
I've been seeing recipes for cake balls all over cooking blogs lately. They look delicious, but I wanted to add an adult twist so I experimented a bit. They were a huge hit at the party I went to this weekend!

Mint Chocolate Cake Balls
Makes approximately 50 (1" diameter) balls

Ingredients:
  • 1 box chocolate cake mix, plus ingredients to make the cake per box directions
  • 3/4-1 cup of peppermint scnapps
  • ~15 mint oreos, crumbled
  • 2 12-ounce bags milk chocolate chocolate chips or other melting chocolate
  • 1 box Andes Candies Creme de Menthe candies, crumbled or 1 bag Andes Candies baking chips*
Directions:
1. Make the cake according to the directions on the box, then let it cool to room temperature.

2. Carefully crumble up the cake in a bowl. (I cut it into about ten pieces in order to get it into the bowl easily, then crumbled with a fork.)

3. Add crumbled Oreos and mix well.

4. Add alcohol a small amount at a time until you have a moist, thick batter.

5. Cover bowl and refrigerate for an hour or two until it's very cold.

6. Form the batter into small balls and place on a wax-paper lined baking sheet. Place baking sheets in freezer and freeze for a few hours until they're fairly solid.

8. Melt chocolate chips in the microwave or in a double-boiler according to directions on the bag. At the end, stir in all but a few of the crumbled Andes candies or Andes chips and stir until they're just melted but there are still green swirls visible. Reserve a few for decorating the tops of the balls later.

9. Dip cake balls into the chocolate, then place back on wax-paper lined baking sheet. Before chocolate sets, sprinkle the top of each ball with crushed Andes candies.

10. Let cool until they're totally set. If you're not going to eat them right away, store in the refrigerator. They're great cold, but you can also serve them at room temperature.

*Random fact: Andes Candies are made in my home town. You could also use any other brand of chocolate-mint candies.

Comments

• JillH410JillH410 Curl Neophyte Posts: 594Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm actually making cake balls today! Though not with alcohol :-( I'm not that creative, lol. I'll definitely try out your recipe though!

I do have a question - for you or anyone else who may be reading... I bought almond bark, vanilla flavored, but I've never used almond bark before. I was hoping I could put food coloring in it, but it says on the package that I can't. Has anyone used almond bark before and can I really not put food coloring in it???
    cowash: Tresemme Naturals
    rinse out: Garnier Triple Nutrition
    Leave in: Suave naturals, whichever scent I'm into at the moment
    gel: Garnier Fructis or LA Looks

3a-3b - high porosity
  • badgercurlsbadgercurls Posts: 3,077Registered Users
    JillH410 wrote: »
    I'm actually making cake balls today! Though not with alcohol :-( I'm not that creative, lol. I'll definitely try out your recipe though!

I do have a question - for you or anyone else who may be reading... I bought almond bark, vanilla flavored, but I've never used almond bark before. I was hoping I could put food coloring in it, but it says on the package that I can't. Has anyone used almond bark before and can I really not put food coloring in it???

I think I'm going to make some of the frosting-based, alcohol free ones for my family Christmas party - there will be a lot of little kids there and I don't want to make any of them sick!

I've never used almond bark, but maybe you could try melting a very small amount and adding food coloring to see what happens?
  • JillH410JillH410 Curl Neophyte Posts: 594Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    After much searching I found a site that said food coloring does nothing to almond bark. Sooo... I went to Michael's and got red and green melting candies and used those. Worked out great! They also had peanut butter, which I used over chocolate cake with chocolate icing - so good!
    cowash: Tresemme Naturals
    rinse out: Garnier Triple Nutrition
    Leave in: Suave naturals, whichever scent I'm into at the moment
    gel: Garnier Fructis or LA Looks

3a-3b - high porosity
  • badgercurlsbadgercurls Posts: 3,077Registered Users
    Good to know about almond bark and food coloring. I'm glad you found some colorful candy melts for yours!

I made the alcohol-free version for our family Christmas parties in two combinations: devil's food cake with homemade chocolate frosting covered in melted milk chocolate, and gingerbread cake with cream cheese frosting covered in melted white chocolate. They were a huge hit!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file