Blonde to Brown using Semi-permanent

sherryberrysherryberry Registered Users Posts: 16
Hi!

I have blondish colored hair but naturally I think I have light brown (I have to constantly touch up the roots).

I was wondering if anyone has went from blondish to brownish color using semi-permanent, and if it really does all come out after 16 or so washes. I just want to try it out and see if it looks good on me and not be permanent should my husband freak out haha. I was thinking about using Natural Instincts Golden Mahogany. Any experience with this? Thanks! :grommit:

Comments

• CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    FYI: I have used NI, and it did fade but never came out all the way. Curly hair, especially processed (previously colored) tends to grab color more easily. I would recommend trying something like a Roux or Clairol color that washes out with a couple (or one) shampoos. Better to be safe if you're not sure you'd like it.

If you do like it, you can try something gentle like Color by Robert Craig. It is permanent but won't damage your hair or turn brassy. HTH
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • curlywurlygurlycurlywurlygurly Registered Users Posts: 1,180
    word of warning as your hair seems rather blonde, be careful with what type of brown you use anything to ashy could turn your hair green! As long as you pick a warmish (with red tones) brown you should be ok.

i went from blondish to brown (yet again) but my hair looooves red tones a little to much for my liking.
    2 something Australian :toothy4:

http://public.fotki.com/curlywurlygurly/
    pw:aussie

Aiming to grow hair to waist from buzz cut - slowly but surely.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    ^^^ Good point. Yes, if you go the semi or permanent route, you may also need a "filler"--a very light blonde to fill the hairshaft before the darker color. RC mentions this on his site. If you go that route later, LMK and I can find the info for you.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • buffiebuffie Registered Users Posts: 184
    I've had lots of experience coloring my hair all different types of colors. Its a good idea when going from blonde to brown to pick the right shade of brown.

You definitely want to pick a warm shade so it doesn't turn green or blue. You also want to pick a shade that is one or two levels lighter than the brown you want to end up. Previously colored hair, especially hair that has been bleeched, will grab faster. How long you leave the color on is important too.

You'll want to do a strand test first to make sure you're happy with it before doing your whole head.
    "How can I control my life when I can't control my hair?" - from a t-shirt my brother gave me years ago. I loved it!

Have discovered I cannot live without KCCC and plopping. Always knew that I was dependant on my diffuser.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file