Dry dry skin

PigletPiglet Posts: 1,451Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I usually have excessively oily skin, and my nose is still getting quite oily. However, I have also developed incredibly dry skin and I don't know what to do about it. The dry areas are around my nose, my chin and the 'moustache' area, particularly the areas from the corners of the mouth to the nostrils. It's so dry, it's looking red and horrible. It's a bit flaky and looks dreadful with make up, but my skin is horrid without it - catch 22.

I've tried a couple of different moisturisers, putting it on very thickly and leaving overnight, or spending an evening patting in layer after layer. The moisturisers don't make any difference but they do make my skin sting like hell. I've tried exfoliating gently with a flannel to remove the flakies and help the moisturisers work, but it hurts so much when I put the moisturiser on and it doesn't make my skin look or feel any better.

I've also tried jojoba oil, both by itself and mixed with a moisturiser.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Yes, my tail is naturally curly.
No, it was NOT me who cried 'wee wee wee wee wee' all the way home.

Comments

• janeylizjaneyliz Posts: 777Registered Users
    Similar problem, different part of the face - across my chin and up to my bottom lip.

Desperation struck with the cold weather we've had recently. Light massaging of jojoba oil followed by a very light coating of vaseline has done the trick and didn't leave me greasy. My T-zone and apples of cheeks are my greasiest parts.
    Marchioness Chinoise in the land of Mancunia Productia Junkia in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

DT: AOHR
    Wash: Anita Grant babassu bar
    Leave-in: Body Shop cotton seed curl boost with manuka honey mixed in
    Gel: Umberto Giannini Curl Friends scrunching gel
    Odds & ends Lime juice, honey, Anita Grant cafe latte
    I brush with a Tangle Teezer & love Flexi-8's
    www.public.fotki.com/janeyliz
    www.thelilyfoundation.org.uk
  • deletedelete Posts: 815Registered Users
    I have extremely dry skin all year round that gets worse in the winter. I've found that just using a damp washcloth to exfoliate works wonders instead of actual products. I use Aveeno's Calming moisturizer twice a day which has really helped. If I miss a day then the flakes come back but when applied day to day, my skin looks better.

• Agent ScarlettAgent Scarlett Posts: 275Registered Users
    Same problem here. I generally have oily skin but right now, my skin is so dry and flakey including my eyelids! The corners of my eyes are red and irritated. Could your cleanser be the culprit? I just changed cleansers today (now using original Cetaphil) and moisturizer (now using original Olay). I used jojoba oil last night and it helped a little but right now I slathered emu oil all over.
    I was using one of the Aveeno foaming cleansers and the clarisonic but I'm thinking they're too much for me right now. I'm hoping with the Cetaphil being pH balanced, it'll help.

Couple things that may be beneficial: taking fish oil pills (3 grams of total omega-3 fatty acids) and drinking lots of water. These are the 2 things I've seriously been slacking on but they're really good for your skin.
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    It would help to know what products you're using. Also, do you drink enough water? Eat enough fat? A humidifier in your bedroom might help also.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Could it be more than just dry skin? Maybe seborrhea?

What about vaseline? Too clogging?
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • PigletPiglet Posts: 1,451Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the replies. I'm using PSF cleanser (the recommended one), but I'm not using that when I'm not leaving the house. I just use water then, to give my skin a break. I need to use cleanser and don't know what to use instead.

I do have BHA, but haven't been using that due to the dryness. Moisturiser-wise, I've been using Olay, jojoba, Boots botanics moisturiser and Boots No 7.

Vaseline is a possibility, but I am worried about breakouts. On the other hand, I could 'work' with a breakout better than I could work with this.

I know I don't drink enough water. I do try though. What I will say, is that I've never had skin as dry as this before.

I'll look into seborrhea. Fish oil pills sound interesting. I'll try some vaseline. Moisturiser is stinging so much at the moment.

Thanks all. :o)
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Oh and what about OCM?
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    Piglet wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I'm using PSF cleanser (the recommended one), but I'm not using that when I'm not leaving the house. I just use water then, to give my skin a break. I need to use cleanser and don't know what to use instead.

Are you planning on using two different cleansers? Or do you not like the PSF cleanser?

And to help trap in moisture, you could dampen your face with water, apply jojoba oil and then apply a light coating of cream moisturizer.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • tctc Posts: 986Registered Users
    Phoenix wrote: »
    Oh and what about OCM?

I was thinking the same thing. When too much natural oil is removed during cleansing then some parts of the face overcompensate by producing a ton of oil, and other parts are incapable of producing enough oil to replace what was lost and they get very dry. OCM bypasses this issue and helps a lot to even out combination skin.
  • VV Posts: 68Registered Users
    This is my first posting on the skin board. Hi! :) From what I read on here I know my suggestion isn't in line with the natural products most people use but it has really helped me. It is Body Shop's Vitamin E Intense Moisture Creme. I love this.:love7: I felt immediate relief of the dry skin on my cheeks. I've only been using it for a week but it has made such a difference with my dry skin. I normally have oily skin but this winter has really dried me out. And it hasn't caused my any oiliness.
  • PigletPiglet Posts: 1,451Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I've tried vaseline and although my skin feels softer, it still looks like someone has thrown flour on me. :( Methinks I'll have to give OCM a try.
  • JillH410JillH410 Posts: 594Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You could also try bag balm. It's similar to vaseline, but a little different. It's original use is for chapped cow udders, but can also be used by humans for chapped/dry skin. They sell it at Walgreens or at an animal supply store.

1329.jpg
    cowash: Tresemme Naturals
    rinse out: Garnier Triple Nutrition
    Leave in: Suave naturals, whichever scent I'm into at the moment
    gel: Garnier Fructis or LA Looks

3a-3b - high porosity
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm having the same problem. It doesn't usually hit me until January or February, but it got me early this year. I'm normally oily, but winter is absolutely horrible for my skin. Every year it's the same thing. My chin gets the brunt of it...it gets SO dry and gross, then decides to breakout from it all. Forget trying to wear face makeup...it makes me look like a freak! This is what's helped me...I'm using CeraVe cleanser (VERY gentle, I felt immediate relief) and either emu oil or cetaphil moisturizing cream. Since I've been doing this, I've actually been able to work my BHA and differin back into my routine. Good luck!
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file