Have you decided to go grey?

I have. I'm already seeing some good process. I'm growing my hair out to hip and just waiting for all the color to grow out. My hair is greying at an amazing rate now.

Comments

• sharon5152sharon5152 Registered Users Posts: 207
    I'm so glad you posted this! Your hair color looks beautiful...My hair is not quite there yet. I'm about 1/4 gray-white, and the rest is a very dark brown. My hair actually got darker after I had kids; some 10 yrs agoI started coloring my hair to 1) cover the gray & 2) to brighten/lighten up the darkness of the rest of my hair...it made my pale skin look ghostly! But the contrast in my roots has just become too noticeable, too soon after coloring. Used to be I could go 8 wks b/w coloring; now, more liked 5-6. I can see it's just going to get worse. I'm going for coloring in two weeks--do y'all have any ideas of what I should be asking for? Something that's not quite so different from my regular brown, but brighter, something that covers the gray but maybe not so fully--I don't even know how to describe what I'm looking for! Something that blends everything better! Make sense?
    3a/b
    Wash: CJ Daily Fix, KM shampoo bars, Giovanni 50:50 Clarifying
    Co-wash/Condish: Curls Coconut Sublime Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI & Styling: KBB milk, CJ Beauticurls LI, CJ Coffee-Coco Curl Lite cream, CJ CIAB
    DT: CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix, Shea Butter

http://public.fotki.com/sharon5152/
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    Can't bring myself to do it, but your's looks great!
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Registered Users Posts: 4,476 Curl Connoisseur
    Can't bring myself to do it, but your's looks great!

I agree. It looks nice, but I'm not ready to do it.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • DewPt.40DewPt.40 Registered Users Posts: 100
    YUP. I am. So far I have grey highlights throughout my brown hair. It seems like the pace started picking up recently. I am trying to not be bothered about it b/c I know I can't stand roots so I will not color it. I'd rather have grey hair than grey roots!
    3A-fi, with 2B underlayer, fine/thin hair with some wily greys.
    Devacut 11/14/08. CG since late Sept 08.

New Experiments: CK, HoneyHemp CO, ACV Rinse, Honey, soap bar, aloe, KCCC, JC N&S, AOHR, AO GPB
    Want to try:
    Jojoba Oil or Coconut oil
    GTTT
    KBB
    KBB Super Silky
    KCNT

• CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Registered Users Posts: 3,093
    I have not decided to go gray but my head o'hair has other plans.
    They are starting to creep in and I can't tell you what a dilemma it is for me to try and decide whether or not to color.
    2b/3a.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I have not decided to go gray but my head o'hair has other plans.
    They are starting to creep in and I can't tell you what a dilemma it is for me to try and decide whether or not to color.

The choice was not easy for me to make because I like my brown hair but don't like the cost of upkeep or damage that coloring causes. It's cheaper and my hair is a lot healthier and grows without breaking. Grey doesn't make me look any older. I also don't like the look of roots. No dye = no roots.
  • rudeechickrudeechick Registered Users Posts: 6,726
    I think it looks pretty!

Question: AT what age does it happen? And does it seem to happen all at once or is it very gradual?

I'm 46 (47 in June) and I have 3 gray hairs (one on my temple, one in my "side burn" and one on my crown), but I've had them for a coupla years each. Obviously these are just the ones that I can see, but my colorist does foil highlights and goes thru my head pretty thoroughly and says he doesnt see any more. Am I gonna just wake up (seemingly) gray one day??
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • misspammisspam Registered Users Posts: 5,318
    I haven't decided really, I'm just letting nature take it's course. My hair is dark brown and is really starting to do that salt & pepper thing. I've never colored my hair so I don't have the worries of a color line when the roots start to go grey.

My temples are white and the area of that gets larger every year. All in all, it has been a fascinating process to witness. I would definitely say the past year has seen a big increase in the rate of greying, due in large part I think, to a huge amount of stress since the fall of 2007.

Some days I wish that I would wake up and just be all grey. You know - just get it over with already.

Speckla, I think your hair looks great! I wish I were brave enough to post a pic! :toothy10:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    rudeechick wrote: »
    I think it looks pretty!

Question: AT what age does it happen? And does it seem to happen all at once or is it very gradual?
    <snip>
    Am I gonna just wake up (seemingly) gray one day??

I started getting a few when I was 21 and pregnant. I just turned 34 last month and they really started to appear this past year. I expect my head to be mostly silver by the time I reach my late 30's. That's why I decided to stop coloring now. I can grow out without a line of demarcation.

Misspam,
    Go for it. I bet it's lovely.

I think silver hair is so stunning.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I tried to grow out my gray about 2 years ago. I got about 9 months into it, and couldn't stand it anymore. The gray made me look so old and faded. I also found out I am not as gray as I thought I was. I thought I was at least 1/4 gray, but once I saw it grown out for several months, I discovered I'm only about 10% gray. It's not gray "enough" yet to look good, in my opinion. So, I went back to hennaing. I henna the roots every week to keep the roots covered. Henna doesn't damage my hair...it makes it healthier, and crazy shiny.

I may try growing it out again in 5 years or so. I personally think gray has to be about 50% gray or more to look good.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I think it looks pretty!

I'm 46 (47 in June) and I have 3 gray hairs (one on my temple, one in my "side burn" and one on my crown), but I've had them for a coupla years each. Obviously these are just the ones that I can see, but my colorist does foil highlights and goes thru my head pretty thoroughly and says he doesnt see any more. Am I gonna just wake up (seemingly) gray one day??

It's all genetics. Some people don't go gray til very late, some earlier. I've seen some very old folks who still aren't gray. Women gray about 5 years later than men, on average. My mother is 75 and still has only about 50% gray. My dad is the same age and is completely white.

I'm 46 also (47 in March), and I have completely gray temples, and a small circular gray patch on the top of my head, and very few grays sprinkled throughout the rest of my hair. I have dark brown hair naturally, and I henna to cover the gray, which turns all the gray hairs a deep red mahogony color, and gives my brown hair a reddish hue. I love my red streaks. It's like highlights.
  • StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
    I just can't do it either, I don't think it's going to be a nice grey at all and I feel like I'm just too young! I'm like RCW - there's just not enough grey at the moment to have it look good, it's really just through the top of my head, nothing in the sides or back, it'd just look weird imo. It's very dark brown, so very obvious and I am sick of having the roots done every 4 weeks, but I'll put up with it for the time being.
    3b in South Australia.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    I have let my hair go gray twice. Both times I got about 9 months into it, caved, and dyed it.
  • 2poodles2poodles Registered Users Posts: 2,485 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm letting my hair do its thing. I used to highlight, then my hair started to turn brassy and stayed that way. Since I didn't care for that look at all, I had it cut short and let my own color grow in. My natural color is a light ashy brown with about 15% gray sprinkled through. I sure appreciate having healthy hair and not having to worry about any roots. And I figure I've got God's highlights now!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• SpiralliSpiralli Registered Users Posts: 3,684 Curl Connoisseur
    Speckla wrote: »
    The choice was not easy for me to make because I like my brown hair but don't like the cost of upkeep or damage that coloring causes. It's cheaper and my hair is a lot healthier and grows without breaking. Grey doesn't make me look any older. I also don't like the look of roots. No dye = no roots.
    I am there with you, Speckla. I stopped coloring in altogether January of this year. From 5/07-1/08, my HD did foils to "low-light" and break up the demarcation line, so it looks like I have some brownish/reddish streaks mixed in with the salt and pepper look now, but definitely no noticeable root line. I don't miss the coloring at all, agreeing 100% with what you mentioned, but sometimes when I'm having a bad hair day, I ask myself if I'm making the right choice. I certainly don't want to start coloring again and having to grow out the line again. At some point I will post a pic of where I'm at.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • rudeechickrudeechick Registered Users Posts: 6,726
    My mom had true black hair before she went gray. She refuses to go natural, which I respect. But I cant talk her into trying lowlights... I think they are great. Instead she "highlights" which on her black pigment base turns VERY brassy and doesnt mix at all with the black.

Can anyone who lowlights for gray post a pick please?
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    I'm letting the grey grow in....temporarily. I just can't manage to drag myself to the colorist before the holidays this year, so I'm letting nature take it's course until January. Because the grey hair is coarser, though, it's really standing out from my usual red, lifting up and away from the curls to form a wiry fuzz. Not too happy with that look, but not unhappy enough to get my @$$ to the colorist, either.:oops:
  • journotravelerjournotraveler Registered Users Posts: 2,816
    i'm 47 and started getting lowlights last year because i didn't like the way i was graying. i have very dark brown/almost black hair, and i was getting chunks of white around my face. i love it when the gray is evenly sprinkled throughout, but the chunks around my face washed me out and weren't flattering at all. i was determined to go au natural.... and someday i will.

in the meantime, the lowlights are a great option. i still have some gray, but it's soft and more flattering on me. i have a streak in the front, and sprinkles of gray throughout. the only time i know it's time for a touchup on my lowlights is when i start to see more gray. i generally don't see roots, which is great. and my hair is healthy.

my gray is definitely genetic, premature graying runs on both sides of my family. i got my first gray hair at 22. my step-grandmother is 93, and i have more gray than she does.
    3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.
  • CaleilaniCaleilani Registered Users Posts: 728
    Speckla that's so pretty! I have yet to see anything on my head of hair?
    3B-3C, alittle past tailbone length,age:41 years
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    Speckla your gray looks lovely. I'm going seriosly gray and the transition ain't pretty. Hopefully I'm done in another 4-5 months, then I'll probably cut off the ends.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Registered Users Posts: 2,551 Curl Neophyte
    I think it looks pretty!

It's all genetics. Some people don't go gray til very late, some earlier. I've seen some very old folks who still aren't gray. Women gray about 5 years later than men, on average. My mother is 75 and still has only about 50% gray. My dad is the same age and is completely white.

My dad died at 60, but he had very little gray and I seem to be following his lead. At 55 I don't get roots, what I do get is grays sprinkled throughout my hair here and there. It's enough that it doesn't look good, but really compared to most 55 year olds it's nothing. I started coloring this year. My sister who is 53 says she is over 50% gray. I have never seen a gray hair in her head. She is very strict about her coloring.
  • eweniqueewenique Registered Users Posts: 1,502 Curl Neophyte
    Speckla, your grey is growing in nicely and looks pretty. I stopped coloring earlier this year after getting tired of the upkeep. I'm gettting closer to 50 and decided that I might as well let my hair be its natural color. After all, no one is going to think I am 20 again, whether I color my hair or not! I wanted to grow grey gracefully. (How's that for alliteration!) I got highlights and later lowlights to help blend the line. I like my grey highlights and hope to have totally natural color by the time I'm 50.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • godgivenpermgodgivenperm Registered Users Posts: 678
    I have grey hairs sprinkled all around my head. I got tired of coloring my hair all over so I got it cut short and got all the dry crap out!

What I do now to lessen the grey look is to comb through a non-permanent color in the front and sides of my head. I do it when my hair is damp and I just put some color on a fine comb and comb it through. Thus the front grey hairs (I have clump in one section) are not as noticeable and I don't worry about roots.

One day, I'll have lovely grey hair all over but that is probably a good 10 years away.:tongue:
    3B/3C
    No more PJ tendencies. Tigi Curls Rock Curl Amplifier is the best thing to make my curls rock all day! Next best are KCCC and Re:Coil +HE TT Gel.
  • winifredwinifred Registered Users Posts: 295
    I tried to grow out my greys (silver, actually) from July until this past Monday, when I had my hair colored. I'm not grey enough for it to look good, which I discovered once I grew it out for a few months. I'm only about 15% grey, so my overall look was a very dark ash brown, which was too harsh against my pale skin. I figure I'll have enough grey in about 10 years to go for the salt and pepper look. For me, I will need at least 50% grey for it to be attractive. I'd be thrilled if my hair color looked like Speckla's.

My adult natural hair color was always a medium reddish brown (childhood was light red brown). My base color changed to a dark ash brown once the greys started coming in. Has this happened to anyone else?
  • meadowlark2meadowlark2 Registered Users Posts: 135 Curl Neophyte
    Speckla wrote: »
    I have. I'm already seeing some good process. I'm growing my hair out to hip and just waiting for all the color to grow out. My hair is greying at an amazing rate now.

Speckla, I think your hair looks beautiful! I really want to go there with mine. I have dark brown almost black hair with a lot of white on the crown. I think it would be a skunky kind of look and also make my light skin look sallow. I like Junotraveler's lowlight strategy. Juno what color do use for lowlights. Is it lighter than your natural color?

I'm still coloring. But I hate the way color makes my hair feel.
    cg Dec 08
    fine to med texture w/ some coarse / high porosity 2c to 3a

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,729 Curl Virtuoso
    Spleckla, your hair looks great.

My grey is definitely skunky and it doesn't go all that great with my skintone, but I like it anyway. I don't care if it makes me look old. I'm almost 52. I'm old. In other words, I don't give a sh*t if other people like it or not - one of the great things that comes with age. : )

Seriously tho, I love the freedom of letting my hair just do it's thing. Wild, curly, grey. It takes almost no time and almost no money for it to be happy and that makes me happy.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • SpiralliSpiralli Registered Users Posts: 3,684 Curl Connoisseur
    Spleckla, your hair looks great.

My grey is definitely skunky and it doesn't go all that great with my skintone, but I like it anyway. I don't care if it makes me look old. I'm almost 52. I'm old. In other words, I don't give a sh*t if other people like it or not - one of the great things that comes with age. : )

Seriously tho, I love the freedom of letting my hair just do it's thing. Wild, curly, grey. It takes almost no time and almost no money for it to be happy and that makes me happy.
    Amen, 100% agree, and a huuge 2nd to all of the above!! Except that I'm 43 feeling that way. LOL!
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • JKCurlJKCurl Registered Users Posts: 5
    Hi all,

I'm new here, don't know if I'm doing this right so please bear with me.

I've been very slowly going gray for years. Saw my first gray at 25. Most of it's in the front. My problem is it doesn't curl like the rest of my hair. It's got a bit of wave to it but often I can see it sticking out. I don't mind going gray just wish it would curl like the rest of my hair. I dread the thought of having to straighten it. I just think as I get grayer I'll have half straight/half curly hair, how weird is that? Anybody else experience this?
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Registered Users Posts: 9,777 Curl Virtuoso
    I'm 57 1/2 & I still don't have enough grey for it to look good. I take after my Dad. My Mom has beautiful white hair. She greyed early & when it was growing out, her hair looked like she highlighted it. I get tired of coloring mine ( I have an appointment on Friday), but I'm just not ready yet.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • journotravelerjournotraveler Registered Users Posts: 2,816

Speckla, I think your hair looks beautiful! I really want to go there with mine. I have dark brown almost black hair with a lot of white on the crown. I think it would be a skunky kind of look and also make my light skin look sallow. I like Junotraveler's lowlight strategy. Juno what color do use for lowlights. Is it lighter than your natural color?

I'm still coloring. But I hate the way color makes my hair feel.

i don't think so... if it is, it's just a shade or two lighter. my hair is very dark.

i agree that speckla's hair looks beautiful!

i love seeing women with beautiful silvery gray hair. mine just wasn't looking like that.... again, not enough gray and growing in too unevenly. but i hope to one day rock a beautiful head of silver hair.
    3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file