Ask a dermatology nurse.....

briccagrlbriccagrl Posts: 540Registered Users
Hello fellow curlies :D I've been a dermatology nurse for many years now. If you have any dermatologic questions ask away..I will do my best to answer.
.png

Comments

• luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    hi there! what do you think about paba? i hear it's bad for the skin...a lot of products at whole foods without paba...are thoe best?
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • briccagrlbriccagrl Posts: 540Registered Users
    luvmylocs wrote:
    hi there! what do you think about paba? i hear it's bad for the skin...a lot of products at whole foods without paba...are thoe best?

PABA is acidic, and can sting if it gets in the eyes. Some people are sensitive to PABA when it is applied to the skin and may get irritation. PABA also darkens to stain clothing. This is why many skin care products are PABA free. I would say PABA free is best...especially if you have sensitive skin
    .png
  • ~915~~915~ Posts: 519Registered Users
    Hi there. Thanks for the opportunity to ask quesitons. I am using a new face lotion. It is actually my body lotion, but I read the ingredients one day and decided to try it on my face. It has been working wonderfully and I've already gotten a compliment on my skin. Here are the ingredients. Do you see anything problematic here?

Certified Organic Herbal Infusion of Chamomile (Chamomilla Recutita), Echinacea (Echinacea Purpurea), Green Tea (Camellia Sinensis) and Lavender (Lavendula Officinalis), Plant Oils of Safflower (Carthamus Tinctorius), Jojoba (Simmondsia Chinensis), Sesame (Sesamum Indicum), Grape Seed (Vitis Vinifera) and Avocado (Persea Gratissima), Vegetable Glycerin, Certified Organic Aloe Barbadensis, Glyceryl Stearate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Stearic Acid, Cucumber Extract (Cucumis Sativus), Organic Sea Kelp Extract (Macrocystis Pyrifera), Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Lecithin, Silica, Methyl/Propylparaben, Tocopheryl Acetate and Tocopherol (Vitamin E)
    thanks briccagrl!!

what do you typically tell people about acne for long term care? i've been using paula's choice but went to the dermatologist last month and got Tazorac cream and Clindagel topical gel. i guess i haven't been having any new acne....but i was hoping to use products that were not prescription. i was hoping i could use paula's choice forever....any thoughts or recommendations would be great.

i read a book called breaking out and there were great suggestions....i thought.
  • Ava79Ava79 Posts: 159Registered Users
    Hi...

My DBF's sister has acne AND ecxema (sp?). Is there anything she can do about it? Any OTC or Rx?
  • three rivers curlythree rivers curly Posts: 994Registered Users
    What would you recommend OTC for fine lines? I tend to squint and make a lot of facial expressions and I'm starting to get "frown" lines between my eyebrows. I already use Skinceuticals .05 retinol or their AHA serum - I rotate. Any suggestions? Would a micro-dermabrasion help? I'm almost 33 and generally have pretty good skin - but I really don't want to age too fast.
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

http://public.fotki.com/hmiklos
    Hi there. Thanks for the opportunity to ask quesitons. I am using a new face lotion. It is actually my body lotion, but I read the ingredients one day and decided to try it on my face. It has been working wonderfully and I've already gotten a compliment on my skin. Here are the ingredients. Do you see anything problematic here?

Certified Organic Herbal Infusion of Chamomile (Chamomilla Recutita), Echinacea (Echinacea Purpurea), Green Tea (Camellia Sinensis) and Lavender (Lavendula Officinalis), Plant Oils of Safflower (Carthamus Tinctorius), Jojoba (Simmondsia Chinensis), Sesame (Sesamum Indicum), Grape Seed (Vitis Vinifera) and Avocado (Persea Gratissima), Vegetable Glycerin, Certified Organic Aloe Barbadensis, Glyceryl Stearate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Stearic Acid, Cucumber Extract (Cucumis Sativus), Organic Sea Kelp Extract (Macrocystis Pyrifera), Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Lecithin, Silica, Methyl/Propylparaben, Tocopheryl Acetate and Tocopherol (Vitamin E)

The ingredients look good to me..I dont see any that should cause problems..there are a few I am not sure about though. When purchasing a moisturizer I would say look for non-comidegenic or non-acnegenic..this means it wont clog your pores. If you are not having any problems with breakouts,oilyness or irritation I would say it is good for your skin. I would recommend that you also use a daily sunscreen on your face...it is soooo important :D
    .png
    luvmylocs wrote:
    thanks briccagrl!!

what do you typically tell people about acne for long term care? i've been using paula's choice but went to the dermatologist last month and got Tazorac cream and Clindagel topical gel. i guess i haven't been having any new acne....but i was hoping to use products that were not prescription. i was hoping i could use paula's choice forever....any thoughts or recommendations would be great.

i read a book called breaking out and there were great suggestions....i thought.

How bad are your acne breakouts when you get them? Does it worsen during your period? if so sometime just being on birthcontrol can help dramatically with breakouts. Tazorac is a fantastic medicine..it is the strongest retinol type of medicine you can use. This is the best medicine for unclogging the pores which in the long run prevents breakouts. Tazorac also has many benefits for the skin it helps with acne, reduces sun damage, and over a long period of time it helps with fine lines and wrinkles :D I would stick with the Tazorac..I know it is a little pricey but one tube should last you a long time..just be sure to use a SMALL peasized amount to cover your entire face..if your face gets a white tint you have used too much. Now the Clindagel is a topical antibiotic between this and the Tazorac the Tazorac is definately the better med...the Clindagel you can use more like a spot treatment..if you get any new pimples or red pimples just use med on those spots and it will clear them up a little faster. As far as trying to switch to OTC acne treatments it is difficult to say if you will benefit..it depends on the type of acne. You can try the OTC's and see how well you do..they are all pretty much the same..they have salacylic acid or benzoyl peroxide..look for the highest strength...and see if it will keep your acne under control. If I were you though I would stick with the Tazorac over time your skin will benefit GREATLY from using this :D :D
    .png
    Ava79 wrote:
    Hi...

My DBF's sister has acne AND ecxema (sp?). Is there anything she can do about it? Any OTC or Rx?

Okay first the eczema. Eczema is a broad term just means dry, red rash caused by dry skin. The most important thing for eczema is moisturizers and using proper soaps. Good soaps are Dove, Cetaphil, CereVE, aveeno. These are very gentle. Soaps you dont want to use are Dial, Zest, Irish Sping....these are very harsh and strip your skin of its natural oils. People with eczema should not take hot showers..this also strips your skinn of its oils..lukewarm is best. Good moisturizers are Cetaphil, CereVe, Aveeno...as far as moisturizers go unfortunately the greasier they are the better they are for people with eczema...creams are better than lotions because they are thicker. The best moisturizer you can use is Vaseline or Aquaphor..most people dont like them because they are soooo greasy...but these work the best for people with severely dry skin. For kids I will often recommend covering with Vaseline and then putting on an old pair of pajamas before going to be bed. You should moisturize atleast once a day...even better if can do twice a day...best time to moisturize is right out of the shower..this is when your skin needs it most. Now as far as the actual rashy areas you can try OTC hydrocortisone twice daily...but for people with sever eczema often times they need to see a dermatologist for something stronger. Just remember moisturize, moisturize, moisturize :D
    For the acne it is difficult without knowing how severe her acne is. OTC acne meds are all pretty much the same with either salacylic acid or benzoyl peroxide..get the highest strength. Often times acne cannot be controlled with OTC meds and the patient needs to be on oral antibiots or stronger topical meds..but give the OTC's try first :)
    .png
    What would you recommend OTC for fine lines? I tend to squint and make a lot of facial expressions and I'm starting to get "frown" lines between my eyebrows. I already use Skinceuticals .05 retinol or their AHA serum - I rotate. Any suggestions? Would a micro-dermabrasion help? I'm almost 33 and generally have pretty good skin - but I really don't want to age too fast.

For fine lines Retinol is the way to go..the stronger the better...just be sure to use this at night and the AHA during the daytime. Prescription strenth Retinol is the way to go..you get more bang for your buck..it is pricey but one tube should last a while. Retinol and AHA both cause sluffing of the skin so over long period of time they will help to diminish fine lines. You will not notice any changes for multiple months and even then it will be subltle. If you dont mind spending the money botox is the way to go...you get instant results..it is very safe...problem is you have to get it done every 3-6 months :( Microderms are great for your skin...they help with evening out skin tones and your skin just feels fantastic after getting one done..again you would need MANY to notice any improvement with fine lines and these treatments are pretty pricey. Best thing you can do for your skin is a daily sunscreen on your face..even days it is not sunny out you should ALWAYS have sunscreen on :D
    .png
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I took my acrylics off about 8 or 9 months ago and my natural nails are doing pretty well, but the tips on some of my nails are see through in some spots, not white like the rest. What causes this and what can I do about it? I have no intention of going back to acrylics because my nails are looking really good except for those few spots.
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
    BIG THANKS briccagrl!!!!!!!
  • three rivers curlythree rivers curly Posts: 994Registered Users
    luvmylocs wrote:

Definately!!! (said the girl who wears a min of SPF 30 everyday :wink: ) :D
    Better everyone think your a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Perception is not reality.

http://public.fotki.com/hmiklos
    briccagrl wrote:
    The ingredients look good to me..I dont see any that should cause problems..there are a few I am not sure about though. When purchasing a moisturizer I would say look for non-comidegenic or non-acnegenic..this means it wont clog your pores. If you are having any problems with breakouts,oilyness or irritation I would say it is good for your skin. I would recommend that you also use a daily sunscreen on your face...it is soooo important :D

Thank you so much. Yes, I do use a tinted moisturizer with SPF 15 every day. It has Titanium Dioxide 3% and Octinoxate 7.50%. If the TM doesn't have a Skin Cancer Foundation symbol on it, it is still going to be effective? I feel like the product is working because on days that I accidentally skip it, I can feel my skin burn. What do you think?
  • Ava79Ava79 Posts: 159Registered Users
    Thank you so much for your advice. She will certainly appreciate it.
    I took my acrylics off about 8 or 9 months ago and my natural nails are doing pretty well, but the tips on some of my nails are see through in some spots, not white like the rest. What causes this and what can I do about it? I have no intention of going back to acrylics because my nails are looking really good except for those few spots.

Hmmm Im not really sure what would cause clear spots. I know that acrylics can really do a number on your nails and actually damage the nail matrix (the part under your cuticle). When this happens you just have to let the nail grow out until normal nail grows back.
    I put acrylics on for the first time in December for a wedding and they destroyed my nail. They are back to normal now. After I took the acrylics off I started taking Biotin supplements 2000mg daily..this seemed to help my nails alot. And I kept my nails cut real short (which was soooo tough to do) but it seemed if I kept them short my nails were growing faster and as soon as there was enough to trim of the damaged nail I would trim. Sorry wish I could be more helpful :?
    .png
    luvmylocs wrote:

Anytime...the bill is in the mail :lol:
    .png
    luvmylocs wrote:

Definately!!! (said the girl who wears a min of SPF 30 everyday :wink: ) :D

LOL...I cant say it enough it is so important to wear sunscreen...not only to prevent wrinkles but to prevent skin cancers as well. We probably see atleast 6 skin cancers a day at work...we had a girl the other day who was 24...that is the youngest I have seen...that is WAYYYY to young. So wear that suncreen :D :D
    .png
    briccagrl wrote:
    The ingredients look good to me..I dont see any that should cause problems..there are a few I am not sure about though. When purchasing a moisturizer I would say look for non-comidegenic or non-acnegenic..this means it wont clog your pores. If you are having any problems with breakouts,oilyness or irritation I would say it is good for your skin. I would recommend that you also use a daily sunscreen on your face...it is soooo important :D

Thank you so much. Yes, I do use a tinted moisturizer with SPF 15 every day. It has Titanium Dioxide 3% and Octinoxate 7.50%. If the TM doesn't have a Skin Cancer Foundation symbol on it, it is still going to be effective? I feel like the product is working because on days that I accidentally skip it, I can feel my skin burn. What do you think?

Well if it says SPF of 15 then it has to be...they cant lie about that..atleast I hope not. But if you are in the sun alot...maybe you might need a 30SPF or higher? What is the brand you are using? One important thing about sunscreen too is that you should apply it atleast 30minutes before going in the sun...and if you are in the sun alot you need to reapply. Another good ingredient to look for is Z-cote..this provides excellent protection. There arent many that have it..but if you see it..its a good one :D
    .png
  • TriniCurlyGirlTriniCurlyGirl Posts: 24Registered Users
    Hi. I think it is so great that you are offering your expertise. Thank you in advance. I have a question - what is the ugly truth on blackheads? I get the "time of the month" whitehead but blackheads are my major concern. I get a lot of blackheads, my nose is really bad, from what I can see all the pores on my nose are clogged. For this reason, I use glycolic products everyday and get facials. How do you feel about facials? In particular those that incorporate glycolic peels and deep pore extractions?
    briccagrl wrote:
    Well if it says SPF of 15 then it has to be...they cant lie about that..atleast I hope not. But if you are in the sun alot...maybe you might need a 30SPF or higher? What is the brand you are using? One important thing about sunscreen too is that you should apply it atleast 30minutes before going in the sun...and if you are in the sun alot you need to reapply. Another good ingredient to look for is Z-cote..this provides excellent protection. There arent many that have it..but if you see it..its a good one :D

The SPF is called Bobbi Brown tinted moisturizer. It's the best color match that I've found. I avoid the sun because I don't want to get wrinkles, but I still wear the SPF every single day.

Next question:D : why do I have dark follicles on my leg and what can I do about it? I've stopped shaving and now I use an epilator. I obviously have sensitive skin and it hyperpigments whenever it has an excuse. But, the problem is that I don't know if it's a good idea to slather hydroquinone or AHA 10% all over my legs daily because that's a large area of skin. I can see that this is a common problem. What do you think?
  • tgreyztgreyz Posts: 1,627Registered Users
    Hey briccagrl thanks for sharing your knowledge with us. I have a few questions for you...

1) I have acne prone, oily skin, can you recommend a sunscreen that will not make me oilier? I tried neutrogena drytouch spf 45, it went on dry but by the end of the day my skin was oilier than without the sunscreen.

2) I can't shave my legs on a daily basis or else I get what I assume to be ingrowns that get inflamed and once it was so bad I had to go to the dermatologist for some sort of cream because it looked like I had cystic acne on my legs. So I shave once a week, but I hate hair. Any way to prevent the ingrowns?

3) What can I do about bacne?
    3b or 3c curls | My Fotki
    combo2.gif________________________________________________

event.png
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    briccagrl wrote:
    Hmmm Im not really sure what would cause clear spots. I know that acrylics can really do a number on your nails and actually damage the nail matrix (the part under your cuticle). When this happens you just have to let the nail grow out until normal nail grows back.
    I put acrylics on for the first time in December for a wedding and they destroyed my nail. They are back to normal now. After I took the acrylics off I started taking Biotin supplements 2000mg daily..this seemed to help my nails alot. And I kept my nails cut real short (which was soooo tough to do) but it seemed if I kept them short my nails were growing faster and as soon as there was enough to trim of the damaged nail I would trim. Sorry wish I could be more helpful :?

Thanks anyway. :D Nobody really seems to know what caused it. It's just wierd. Thankfully all the damaged part of my nails from the acrylics have grown out. A few still have some ridges but if I remember correctly, they were that way before the acrylics so I think it's normal. I wore acrylics for 10 years or more so it's kind of hard to remember what they were like before. Coincidentally I do have a dermatologist appt next week so I will have her look at them.

Can I ask something else? Is it better to have moles checked every 6 months or once a year? I have alot of them and I don't go out in the sun hardly at all (very fair skin). Also I have keratosis pilaris on my arms. Would Retin-A help that? We were going to try it last time I had a check up but the insurance was arguing about paying for it so we put it off. I would like to be able to wear sleeveless stuff for the summer but my arms look so bad, I am embarrassed. Right now I use Salex lotion. Is there something better I could do?

Thanks for your help! :D
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
  • s.temples.temple Posts: 48Registered Users
    i have a question- what exactly would a trip to the dermatologist be like? like if you go to the doctor or something, they have certain procedure before they get to the reason you came in (like weighing/measuring/temperature etc...) basically if you could tell me what a trip for a first timer would be like i would appreciate it (dont want any surprises :D , i shudder even going to the eye doctor)
    Hi. I think it is so great that you are offering your expertise. Thank you in advance. I have a question - what is the ugly truth on blackheads? I get the "time of the month" whitehead but blackheads are my major concern. I get a lot of blackheads, my nose is really bad, from what I can see all the pores on my nose are clogged. For this reason, I use glycolic products everyday and get facials. How do you feel about facials? In particular those that incorporate glycolic peels and deep pore extractions?

Blackheads on the nose are such a common problem. It is difficult for me to recommend any products because usually when people come into the office for them they have tried all the OTC's with no benefit. The best medicine for it is prescription strength Retin-A. Im wondering if maybe you could try some of the OTC retinol products..they are mostly geared towards wrinkles..but Retinol is all the same...just look for the highest strength. I definately think glycolics help with cleaning out the pores as well so I would keep using them. I think facials and glycolic peels work great as well as long as someone experienced is doing them..if they seem to be working for your skin I would continue getting them..I think your skin does definately benefit from them. I also get peels at my office and I love what they do for my skin. Thats one of the perks about being a derm nurse I get to do all these peels and laser treatments for free..and my house if full of every sample moisturizer, cleanser, makeups...its great :D :D
    .png
    briccagrl wrote:

The SPF is called Bobbi Brown tinted moisturizer. It's the best color match that I've found. I avoid the sun because I don't want to get wrinkles, but I still wear the SPF every single day.

Next question:D : why do I have dark follicles on my leg and what can I do about it? I've stopped shaving and now I use an epilator. I obviously have sensitive skin and it hyperpigments whenever it has an excuse. But, the problem is that I don't know if it's a good idea to slather hydroquinone or AHA 10% all over my legs daily because that's a large area of skin. I can see that this is a common problem. What do you think?

I have the same problem on my legs...but on my skin type I am left with red around my folllicles. Unfortunately there isnt much you can do for this. Lots of people have this problem..enlarged hair follicles on their legs. Have you tried Nair or anything like that..I would say the less trauma to the follicle the better.especially if you are getting hyperpigmentation. I think it would be a waste of money to use hydroquinonine or AHA..I dont think it will do much..unfortunately. Unfortunately no great solutions...I've got the same issue and tried lots of creams and meds..and havent gotten any good results :(
    .png
    tgreyz wrote:
    Hey briccagrl thanks for sharing your knowledge with us. I have a few questions for you...

1) I have acne prone, oily skin, can you recommend a sunscreen that will not make me oilier? I tried neutrogena drytouch spf 45, it went on dry but by the end of the day my skin was oilier than without the sunscreen.

2) I can't shave my legs on a daily basis or else I get what I assume to be ingrowns that get inflamed and once it was so bad I had to go to the dermatologist for some sort of cream because it looked like I had cystic acne on my legs. So I shave once a week, but I hate hair. Any way to prevent the ingrowns?

1) Have you tried Purpose moisturizer..they have one that is an SPF of 15 and 30. This is what I use..my skin has the tendency to get oily and i like this one. It doesnt leave your skin feeling greasy either ,its gentle for sensitive skin and its non-comedogenic. If you've tried it let me knwo I have a ton I can recommend :D

2) Have you tried using nair?? Also Aveeno has a great shaving cream for sensitive skin that is for razor bumps or ingrown hairs. I always get razor bumps but not when I use this :D

3) There is a soap that is OTC that is called Panoxyl Bar..it is 10% benzoyl peroxide...you use it in the shower just like a regular bar of soap. It works great for the back
    .png
    briccagrl wrote:

Thanks anyway. :D Nobody really seems to know what caused it. It's just wierd. Thankfully all the damaged part of my nails from the acrylics have grown out. A few still have some ridges but if I remember correctly, they were that way before the acrylics so I think it's normal. I wore acrylics for 10 years or more so it's kind of hard to remember what they were like before. Coincidentally I do have a dermatologist appt next week so I will have her look at them.

Can I ask something else? Is it better to have moles checked every 6 months or once a year? I have alot of them and I don't go out in the sun hardly at all (very fair skin). Also I have keratosis pilaris on my arms. Would Retin-A help that? We were going to try it last time I had a check up but the insurance was arguing about paying for it so we put it off. I would like to be able to wear sleeveless stuff for the summer but my arms look so bad, I am embarrassed. Right now I use Salex lotion. Is there something better I could do?

Thanks for your help! :D

As far as skin exams go it really depends on your history and family history. Have you ever had a skin cancer or any precancerous moles? Has anyone in your family ever had a melanoma? These put you at a higher risk and you should be checked every 3-6 months. If you have no history of cancer having them checked once a year is fine...but you should always look at your skin if any new moles or changing moles appear then I would be seen sooner. Ask your dermatologist what they recommend alot of it goes by skin type and if you have any funny looking moles.

Ughh I have KP too on my arms...I hate it too...because even if you find a cream that works as soon as you stop using it...it will come back. Salex is a pretty good cream for it. Does it seem to help at all? There is and OTC cream called Amlactin...this is what I use and it works pretty well. Maybe you could try using both the Salex and the Amlactin once a day on your arms and see if that helps. I have had some patients clear up with retin-a as well. Maybe you could ask your dermatologist for samples so you can see if it works first before you pay for it...and if you do end up paying for it ask them to write you a script for tretinoin..thats the generic and its a little cheaper. :D

You dont have to thank me...I enjoy trying to help with some of my skin knowledge :D
    .png
    s.temple wrote:
    i have a question- what exactly would a trip to the dermatologist be like? like if you go to the doctor or something, they have certain procedure before they get to the reason you came in (like weighing/measuring/temperature etc...) basically if you could tell me what a trip for a first timer would be like i would appreciate it (dont want any surprises :D , i shudder even going to the eye doctor)

Well for just a regular visit it depends on the doctor my doctor I work for likes a full set of vitals and height and weight. I've worked for other Dr's that dont...so it really depends. Now if you were coming in for a surgical procedure it may be a little more involved as far as questions asked..there may be bloodwork taken...it really all depends. What would be the reason you would be seeing a dermatologist? I might be able to be a little more specific then. :D

Trust me..we all hate doctors visits..including me :lol:
    .png
  • tgreyztgreyz Posts: 1,627Registered Users
    briccagrl wrote:
    tgreyz wrote:

1) Have you tried Purpose moisturizer..they have one that is an SPF of 15 and 30. This is what I use..my skin has the tendency to get oily and i like this one. It doesnt leave your skin feeling greasy either ,its gentle for sensitive skin and its non-comedogenic. If you've tried it let me knwo I have a ton I can recommend :D

2) Have you tried using nair?? Also Aveeno has a great shaving cream for sensitive skin that is for razor bumps or ingrown hairs. I always get razor bumps but not when I use this :D

3) There is a soap that is OTC that is called Panoxyl Bar..it is 10% benzoyl peroxide...you use it in the shower just like a regular bar of soap. It works great for the back

I haven't tried purpose moisturizer but I don't really think I need a moisturizer, my skin is oily enough. I was just looking for a separate spf.

Nair doesn't work for me, my hair is pretty coarse.

Where can I find this panoxyl bar?
    3b or 3c curls | My Fotki
    combo2.gif________________________________________________

event.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file