Going flat after only a couple of hours

RIOT_GRRRLRIOT_GRRRL Posts: 4Registered Users
my hair is 2a and just above shoulder length. I've been straightening it since i was 14(I'm nearly 22 now) but recently decided straight is boring and curls/waves have so uch more personality and spunk.
my problem is, if I air dry my hair, i get some pretty nice waves with a few curls and i scrunch it up with molding product and hairspray to get volume, but like an hour later, it starts going limp and loses shape and seperates. I've tried everything, spritzing it wet again, spraying it upside down, scrunching like a madman. 'msick of it only looking good in the morning. does anyone have any tips for seeing it through the day?
also, i have to get up at 5am and travel really far with the train to get to college, so when i come home, i sometimes like to grab a nap, but that totally flattens my hair and i wanna look slightly decent for when my boyfriend gets home from work. Pineappling just separates my curls, wich barely stick together as it is. HELP!!! Ive only been embracing the curl for a couple of weeks and i havnt found my way yet

Comments

• LouisianaLeighLouisianaLeigh Posts: 211Registered Users
    can you tell us a bit more about what products you are using? it may be that you need something with more hold.
    wurly, fine to medium, currently growing for waist-length
    embracing the waves since 10/20/08
    my hair loves protein and hates jojoba oil, my scalp hates propylene glycol, my face hates silicones.
  • RIOT_GRRRLRIOT_GRRRL Posts: 4Registered Users
    I use a keratin spray, a tiny bit of CHI silk infusion serum to beat frizz. i usually air dry 50% then diffuse 50% then i scrunch in some molding cream and stick down my bangs with it, then i fluff and spray with Fudge Skyscraper Hairspray.

I've tried a curlmousse by tigi, but that just made my hair straighter, and dry and crunchy like straw.
    Ive tried a curl control cream by loreal professional,this didnt seem to make a difference at all.
    most products make my hair limp because it is very proneto getting greasy.

Ive tried no-poo, but my hair just gets so greasy which makes it even limper, so i use a very mild shampoo, Theratin shampoo by Nexxus Phyto Organics, and Humectin conditioner from them too.
  • LouisianaLeighLouisianaLeigh Posts: 211Registered Users
    I'm not too familiar with any of the products you're using, but the dry straw-like hair sounds like a reaction to something in that product. could be a lot of things--there's a variety of ingredients that cause that reaction, including drying alcohols (as opposed to the fatty ones hair likes, there's a list of them somewhere on here), protein, mag-sulfate, and probably some others that don't seem to hit as many people. and unfortunately, it's just kind of hit or miss with experimenting to find out what's the culprit.

question: are you trying to go CG or modified-CG? you mentioned that you are using a gentle shampoo and have tried to go shampoo-less with not so great results. I would say the first thing you want to do is check for silicones in your products, and then check what the cleanser is in your shampoo. if it's too gentle it might not be getting all the cones off your hair, and that could be why it's misbehaving.

maybe someone with a hair type closer to yours, or the same problem could chime in here, too?
    wurly, fine to medium, currently growing for waist-length
    embracing the waves since 10/20/08
    my hair loves protein and hates jojoba oil, my scalp hates propylene glycol, my face hates silicones.
  • CurlyFireHorseCurlyFireHorse Posts: 350Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    RIOT_GRRRL wrote: »
    my hair is 2a and just above shoulder length. I've been straightening it since i was 14(I'm nearly 22 now) but recently decided straight is boring and curls/waves have so uch more personality and spunk.
    my problem is, if I air dry my hair, i get some pretty nice waves with a few curls and i scrunch it up with molding product and hairspray to get volume, but like an hour later, it starts going limp and loses shape and seperates. I've tried everything, spritzing it wet again, spraying it upside down, scrunching like a madman. 'msick of it only looking good in the morning. does anyone have any tips for seeing it through the day?
    also, i have to get up at 5am and travel really far with the train to get to college, so when i come home, i sometimes like to grab a nap, but that totally flattens my hair and i wanna look slightly decent for when my boyfriend gets home from work. Pineappling just separates my curls, wich barely stick together as it is. HELP!!! Ive only been embracing the curl for a couple of weeks and i havnt found my way yet

I have the same problem. CK has helped with frizz, but no matter what I try (KBB, recoil, FSG, Garnier spray gel, BRHG, shampoo bars, vinegar, honey, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink], plopping, pineappling, putting products into wet hair, Curlease towel, clipping the roots, diffusing, air drying, just to name a few) my hair will look good for about 15 minutes and then will be lank. No volume, just stringy hair. My hair is not dry, nor do I think it is overconditioned. My hair is much healthier since starting CG in September, but it looks like crap. When I was blowdrying and curling my hair, I never spent this much time or money on my hair and it looked better. Well at least it looked neat. Now my hair is just messy.
    Please any help would be appreciated.:dontknow:
    Sorry for the long rant. :sleepy1:
    CurlyFireHorse
    Hair: 2a or 3a (not sure), very porous and fine as frog hair
    Day 1: Cowash and condition with AO GPB, ACV Rinse,
    Co-Kra gel (this stuff is fantastic)

Day 2: KCKT, KCCC, plop, KCCC, plop again, air dry
    Day 3: Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Coil Jam
    Day 4: IAGirl's PT, KBB DT, FSG

Co-Kra gel is my own concoction of okra boiled in coconut milk. It is a cross between FSG and KCCC and leaves my hair very soft and shiny
  • natural2anatural2a Posts: 154Registered Users
    See my signature. This is what has worked for me. I have tried and sold several of the products that work well for 3a/3b's.
    baby-fine 2a wavy hair
    growing out my bangs and short layers

Current routine, every day:
    Mastey Traite shampoo
    Mastey Frehair conditioner
    pink Boots curl creme (TINY amount)
    Aura Lemongrass Mousse
    scrunch with Curls Like Us Curl Cloth
    diffuse
    air dry
    scrunch out the crunch
    Thank you very much for your response.

Woot! New products to try. I have never heard of your shampoo and conditioner, but I will start looking.
    CurlyFireHorse

Co-Kra gel is my own concoction of okra boiled in coconut milk. It is a cross between FSG and KCCC and leaves my hair very soft and shiny
  • SoCalWavySoCalWavy Posts: 92Registered Users
    Hi CurlyFireHorse!!!

I totally feel your frustration, I leave the house somedays feeling great, only to get to work and go "gah!" what happened to my hair!?

Through a lot of trial and error (mostly error) this works best for me (until I get my next shipment from curlmart :laughing2:)

Low poo or shampoo bar
    Lightweight condish (like KBB Nectar or suave)
    One or two pumps KBB super silky as a leave-in
    A blob of GVP Potion 9 knockoff mixed with a blob of L'Oreal Melting gel.
    When it's almost dry I spritz it with Jane Carter RLIC which helps to encourage the curl.
    I clip perpendicular to the direction my hair is going. So basically along my part, the clips go straight back. Along the crown they go sideways.

I have silky fine, med thickness hair. Left alone my hair will plaster itself to my scalp. I need products with a little protein in them like the GVP Potion 9 and the RLIC, they really help boost my curl.

Have you tried any spray gels -- like Aussie Awesome Volume or something like that?
    :thumbup:
    2A/3A, high porosity, fine, normal elasticity.
    Shampoo Bar: Dr. Bronner's Baby Bar
    Condish: KBB Milk/Mop Top/TJ Nourish
    Leave-In: See Above!
    Curl Enhancer: KCCC/BB Gelee
    Hold: Fuzzy Duck(med)/BRHG(strong)
    2nd Day Hair: FOTE + Dab BRHG

Loving BB Gelee right now
    my hair likes: protein, light gels/sprays
    Fotki: pw=curly
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    Just my 2 cents: That Chi product will make even MY hair lank - and I suffer from the Opposite problem, too much volume!

I suggest a good clarifying poo with a sulfate shampoo and then try low pooing or better yet try the soap bars - I get MAJOR volume and definition (ringlets!!)when I use the "right" bars for my hair.

Try using really really light stylers (troll the boards), and try diffusing upside down. You could try plopping with lighter products, but from what you've described, I think plopping would just pull yer curls out.

And please remember that all those years of blowing and ironing have fried yer hair (been there). As you lay off and yer hair gets healithier it will reach its full curl potential (look at my first CG pics compared to the most recent!!!)

Good luck!
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    I agree with Rudee. Plus, healthier hair doesn't happen overnight. I straightened on the hottest setting (400 degrees) for more than 12 years. My hair looked bad for 3+ months when I went curly. It took awhile to find the right products and techniques plus my hair just needed time to grow and be babied.

As for hair going flat at the crown, some days it's just gonna happen. I used to be such a perfectionist about my hair. I try to let it be now. I still diffuse upside down and clip at the roots, but overall, I (mostly) accept it the way it is.

As for the products you're using Riot, I think they may be contributing to your hair's limpness. Any type of serum is going to weigh it down. I would diffuse first and then let it air dry the rest of the way. Diffusing can give you volume.

Experiment with plopping, applying product upside down to soaking wet hair, and don't fluff. I know it's tempting, but don't do it. You'll lose clumping and will break up your curls. My number one curly rule? No touchie!
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Posts: 671Registered Users
    The first few inches of my hair at the roots are straight, but I think that's common for those with wavy hair.

I would definetely guess that less product is more for a 2A, and I would really scrutinize your routine for anything that could be weighing you down, cones, parrafin, peg-castor oils, denat. alcohol, whatever.

Also, if you use the same products everyday, your hair could be getting tired/saturated with them, consider rotating product a bit.
    Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
    Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
    Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
    LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
    For inquiring minds who want to know:
    http://www.public.fotki.com/TillyErnissee
    SoCalWavy wrote: »
    Hi CurlyFireHorse!!!

I totally feel your frustration, I leave the house somedays feeling great, only to get to work and go "gah!" what happened to my hair!?

Through a lot of trial and error (mostly error) this works best for me (until I get my next shipment from curlmart :laughing2:)

Low poo or shampoo bar
    Lightweight condish (like KBB Nectar or suave)
    One or two pumps KBB super silky as a leave-in
    A blob of GVP Potion 9 knockoff mixed with a blob of L'Oreal Melting gel.
    When it's almost dry I spritz it with Jane Carter RLIC which helps to encourage the curl.
    I clip perpendicular to the direction my hair is going. So basically along my part, the clips go straight back. Along the crown they go sideways.

I have silky fine, med thickness hair. Left alone my hair will plaster itself to my scalp. I need products with a little protein in them like the GVP Potion 9 and the RLIC, they really help boost my curl.

Have you tried any spray gels -- like Aussie Awesome Volume or something like that?
    :thumbup:

Thank you for the encouragement. I occasionally use garnier spray gel, looks great for a few minutes, then falls and looks stringy. I will definitely try GVP and RLIC. What is the name of your GVP knockoff?
    CurlyFireHorse

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file