AOHR?

mrl234mrl234 Posts: 548Registered Users
What do people think of AOHR? Can it work as a cowash, or is it best as a rinse-out? It's not too pricey, I don't think, but it's not super-cheap either so I am cautious about buying a big bottle until I know what I might expect. I have sort of fine, pretty dry hair that is insanely thick and a fairly dry scalp, if that helps - has anyone with hair kind of like mine tried and liked/hated AOHR?
:happy10:
fia 2C/3A-F-iii, sensitive to some proteins
CGish since 10-16-08
Low-poo: Yes to Carrots Daily Pampering Shampoo (1-2x/week)
Rinse outs: Yes to Carrots Pampering Mud Conditioner
Styling: a little bit of leave in and a little bit of KCCC, diffusing
Olive oil DTs, honey rinses in the summer :)

Comments

• LouisianaLeighLouisianaLeigh Posts: 211Registered Users
    my hair type is not like yours, but i love AOHR. It is not good for a co-wash--way too thick for that. I think it works best as a rinse-out. it works better for me if i add honey to it. if your hair is very dry and brittle it should help you regain moisture, and it has no protein so if you're sensitive or just don't need any protein there's no issue there.
    wurly, fine to medium, currently growing for waist-length
    embracing the waves since 10/20/08
    my hair loves protein and hates jojoba oil, my scalp hates propylene glycol, my face hates silicones.
  • EponaBlackhorseEponaBlackhorse Posts: 304Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah its a little to thick to use as a cowash. I love the way it makes my hair feel and look as a rinse out but the smell is too strong for me (but I'm pretty sensitive to kind of stuff).
    3a, medium texture, low porosity(?)
    Poo: KC Come Clean
    Rinse-out Condish: Jessicurl Too Shea
    Leave-in: KCKT
    Styling Products: KCCC, HETT/HESMU, Joiwhip
    Weekly Treatment: Jessicurl Weekly Deep Conditioner
    Monthly Treatment: Henna

Hair Pics (most I've hidden from public view but if you want to see more, PM me and I'll open up the security on them): http://flickr.com/photos/eponaaran/sets/72157610671796089/
  • KatiecurlKatiecurl Posts: 236Registered Users
    It is my HG. I would die without it, lol. I am protein sensitive, and use the Biolage Conditioning Balm as well (I often rotate the two.) My hair is also fine and dry. I use it as a rinse out and as a DT.
    2a/b. I love AOHR!
  • aneffigyaneffigy Posts: 93Registered Users
    Love it, but definitely as a rinse out and not a co-wash. I only use it when I'm feeling in dire need of moisture during the week, and as my DT on the weekends.
    3A
    Modified CG since 11/14/08!
    Low poo: Trader Joe's Tea Tree
    Co-wash: VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea
    Rinse out: Tigi MM, Tigi O&H, Tresemme Naturals Volumizing
    DT: Jessicurl WDT
    Leave-in: Giovanni DLI, Komaza CLI
    Styling: Komaza Coconut Pudding, HE BE gel, KBB Cream to SOTC
  • CurlyVeeCurlyVee Posts: 340Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Love it ! :blob8:
    Hyper Sensitive to many things !!!
    2017 Routine: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Cond as co-wash; 365 Fragrance Free Shampoo; Aloe Vera Juice , Water and Apricot Seed Oil as leave in. :blob3:When all else fails, I run back to KCKT and KCCC :thumright: Shampoo weekly - co-wash every 2/3/4 days - just depends :compress:
  • FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I really like it as well. I prefer to do a low-poo or shampoo bar instead of a co-wash; I just 'water wash' and condition. All this to say, I've never used it as a co-wash!! I like it for a rinse out and have used it as a leave-in.

It works really well. The only negative is that the fragrance is a bit on the strong side. Even though I am sensitive to fragrances, it doesn't bother me, but you should be aware if you're sensitive you may want to take a sniff before buying.

Also ... should add that I tried the AOHR shampoo and it is brutal. It made my hair feel like straw - worse than any sulfate shampoo ever made my hair feel.
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
  • madhuri_dixit_fanmadhuri_dixit_fan Posts: 310Registered Users
    Everyone in my fam uses AOHR Conditioner, we're 1s, 2s, 3s, 4a/4b heads. We love it. The fragrance is strong tho, you gotta like Honeysuckle Roses, lol. The males don't use much of it, they much more prefer Island Naturals spicer scent.

AOHR is used most often as a rinse out that is left on the head for 5-8 minutes under a plastic cap or without a cap before rinsing.

Next up, used as part of a low ingredient moisture DC, just AOHR, Honey, bit of Distilled Water, Olive Oil.

Tried AOHR as part of leave in once and hated it on the 3s and 4s, tho I love the scent on the hair, lol. Ditto for hating it as a stand-alone leave in. Just kinda felt bit gummy and sticky.

Never tried it as a cowasher, and never will. It's way too thick. I actually avoid putting it on the scalp unless it's part of DC that gets shampooed out of scalp and hair.

Won't go near the AOHR Shampoo. Only AO shampoo I've used is the Swimmer's for us during the summer, and I dilute that with Water prior to lathering or cut it with tiny bit of Aloe Juice. It's not harsh, but I prefer to use very little like I do for all shampoos.
    RIP Natasha Richardson

Holy Grails: Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner, AVG, EVO Coconut Oil, Amla Oil, KC Spiral Spritz, Brahmi Oil, Tea Tree eo, Rosemary eo, Distilled H2O, Aloe Vera Juice, Neem Oil, ACV, Dr. Bonner's Skikakai Castile Soap, Avocado Oil

Sometimes: AOMM Jelly, KCNT, KCCC
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, the AOHR is more like a cream, has a strong fragrance, and is very moisturizing.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • mrl234mrl234 Posts: 548Registered Users
    Well, I"ve only used it twice but I like it so far! Thanks!
    :happy10:
    fia 2C/3A-F-iii, sensitive to some proteins
    CGish since 10-16-08
    Low-poo: Yes to Carrots Daily Pampering Shampoo (1-2x/week)
    Rinse outs: Yes to Carrots Pampering Mud Conditioner
    Styling: a little bit of leave in and a little bit of KCCC, diffusing
    Olive oil DTs, honey rinses in the summer :)
  • LouisianaLeighLouisianaLeigh Posts: 211Registered Users
    i've recently started using AOHR as my leave-in and stopped using it as my rinse-out, since as a detangler it only worked with honey and that still not as well as some of my other conditioners.

i have fairly porous hair. wanted to try using it as a leave-in basically as an experiment to see if the oils in it (it's my only oil-heavy product) could help seal in moisture. it seems to work at keeping my hair moisturized for 2-3 days MUCH better than any of the other conditioners I've tried leaving in. i'm using somewhere between a nickel and a quarter-sized amount on hair that goes 4-5 inches past my shoulders at its longest.
    wurly, fine to medium, currently growing for waist-length
    embracing the waves since 10/20/08
    my hair loves protein and hates jojoba oil, my scalp hates propylene glycol, my face hates silicones.
  • madhuri_dixit_fanmadhuri_dixit_fan Posts: 310Registered Users
    i've recently started using AOHR as my leave-in and stopped using it as my rinse-out, since as a detangler it only worked with honey and that still not as well as some of my other conditioners.

I agree...we only see the 'detangling' effects after the conditioner is rinsed out...and then it's just not enough detangling to do the hair without more of a different product. Mostly this is on 1-3 hair. For the 4s it doesn't really detangle, but just leaves hair softer and bit more ready for other products. Weird, really.
    RIP Natasha Richardson

Holy Grails: Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner, AVG, EVO Coconut Oil, Amla Oil, KC Spiral Spritz, Brahmi Oil, Tea Tree eo, Rosemary eo, Distilled H2O, Aloe Vera Juice, Neem Oil, ACV, Dr. Bonner's Skikakai Castile Soap, Avocado Oil

Sometimes: AOMM Jelly, KCNT, KCCC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file