Need help from RCW with skincare

Bionic FembotBionic Fembot Posts: 2Registered Users
Hi Redcats.

I was just reading a post on here about your skin care routine. I had to register in order to get in here and now I lost the post. The whole thread was great but I don't think anyone has responded to it since April?

Can you help me with my routine? I have fair skin, with some freckles/melasma, uneneven skin tone, undereye circles, large pores on nose and the start of a few small wrinkles at age 39.

Now I went to the derm last week so I have started a new routine but would like to know what you think I could add to it since you have been recommending PSF products. I am very interested in the DMAE gel as I have droopy eyelids and my mouth is starting to droop. *sigh*.

My current routine that just started 7 days ago:

AM
cleanse with Cerave (doc recommended)
Moisturize Eucerin Facial moisturizer with SPF 40
Makeup

PM
Remove makeup with MAC cleansing oil
Cleanse with Glytone Mild cleansing gel (doc recommended)
Light layer of Tri-Luma (wait 30 minutes)
Light layer of Emu oil

I can't tell much with the Tri-Lima yet other than some light peeling and redness. I want to lift my skin and get rid of some small acne on my chin.

Please help!!

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi Redcats.

I was just reading a post on here about your skin care routine. I had to register in order to get in here and now I lost the post. The whole thread was great but I don't think anyone has responded to it since April?

Can you help me with my routine? I have fair skin, with some freckles/melasma, uneneven skin tone, undereye circles, large pores on nose and the start of a few small wrinkles at age 39.

Now I went to the derm last week so I have started a new routine but would like to know what you think I could add to it since you have been recommending PSF products. I am very interested in the DMAE gel as I have droopy eyelids and my mouth is starting to droop. *sigh*.

My current routine that just started 7 days ago:

AM
    cleanse with Cerave (doc recommended)
    Moisturize Eucerin Facial moisturizer with SPF 40
    Makeup

PM
    Remove makeup with MAC cleansing oil
    Cleanse with Glytone Mild cleansing gel (doc recommended)
    Light layer of Tri-Luma (wait 30 minutes)
    Light layer of Emu oil

I can't tell much with the Tri-Lima yet other than some light peeling and redness. I want to lift my skin and get rid of some small acne on my chin.

Please help!!

DMAE does help with skin firming, but, when properly formulated, it's a difficult product to use, because it's very caustic and drying. I am able to use it without problems because I have very oily skin to begin with. Some people can't tolerate it at all. Lots of companies put DMAE in their anti-aging products, but most of them aren't active, and they just put the DMAE in there for show...it won't actually do anything unless it's at a 3% level in a high pH base. The only company that I know of who properly formulates DMAE to the specifications that have been clinically proven to actually firm skin is PSFskincare.com. If you try it, it would be applied first in your evening routine after cleansing.

Tri-Luma does work for fading hyperpigmentation, but it isn't supposed to be used for longer than about 8 weeks. Anything that gets faded will come right back after you stop using the Tri-Luma. I use the product myself, but I used it initially for the max amount of time, and now I just use it weekly for maintenance, which seems to work. After your initial Tri-Luma time, you might want to get an Rx for Retin-A (or Renova if you're dry skinned), which while it doesn't work as well as Tri-Luma for hyperpigmentation, will help a bit to keep it at bay, as well as help with acne and fine lines. (Tri-Luma contains Retin-A, along with Hydroquinone 4% and a topical steroid).

I know the doc recommended those cleansers, but I probably wouldn't use them on my face. The Glytone has detergents and, over time, detergents break down the skin barrier, and they charge a lot of money for it because it has glycolic acid in it, which is just a marketing ploy when it's put in cleansers...acids need time to work and cleansers go down the drain too quickly for the glycolic to do anything good for your skin. The Cereve is better as far as detergents, but it's got a lot of glycerine in it, which tends to leave a film that I can't stand on my face. PSFskincare has a nice detergent-free pH-neutral cleanser, called Gentle Cleansing Castile, or DianaYvonne.com sells a cleanser called Wheat Germ cleanser, which is a bit more mild than the PSF cleanser if you tend towards sensitive skin. DianaYvonne.com also sells some nice glycolic acids if you're interested in that.
  • Bionic FembotBionic Fembot Posts: 2Registered Users
    Thanks so much for the info! I was afraid you were going to tell me that about Glytone. I hate this stuff. It sets my face on fire and my face feels so tight after I use it. The derm told me it would help the Tri-Luma work better? Oh well.

I am definitely going to check out the PFskincare line now. A gentle cleaner is just what I need. I love Emu oil so I am glad I am doing that right!

I don't know whether to try the DMAE gel now because I have a tendency to be very dry. I will have to ponder that.

Thanks again!!!
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks so much for the info! I was afraid you were going to tell me that about Glytone. I hate this stuff. It sets my face on fire and my face feels so tight after I use it. The derm told me it would help the Tri-Luma work better? Oh well.

I am definitely going to check out the PFskincare line now. A gentle cleaner is just what I need. I love Emu oil so I am glad I am doing that right!

I don't know whether to try the DMAE gel now because I have a tendency to be very dry. I will have to ponder that.

Thanks again!!!

Using a glycolic acid does help the Tri-Luma to work better, but when used in a cleanser like Glytone, you aren't really aren't getting the glycolic acid benefits. Glycolic tends to be a gentle acid, so if you want to use that, then try one of the ones from DianaYvonne.com. When you use an acid, you need to apply to clean skin and then wait 30 minutes before applying anything else to get the full benefit of the acid. Since you're dry and sensitive, the DY Wheat Germ cleanser or Rosehip Seed cleanser would probably be better for you than the PSF cleanser.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file