Whole Foods..I Need Suggestions?

brandiw316brandiw316 Registered Users Posts: 6
Hey everyone!

I'm a newbie from Jacksonville, FL. It's been almost 2 1/2 years since my last relaxer and I'm loving my thick APL 3c curls (though the FL humidity can be a killer on my curls sometimes!). Anyways I started this thread because we finally have a Whole Foods in Jacksonville and I need some feedback on what natural products I should buy when I go shopping next week.

My reggie has been pretty simple so far: Shampoo once a week with Cream of Nature Ultra Moisturizing Shampoo (no sulfates); Deep Condition with Suave Humectant mixed with EVOO and honey. Detangle under the running shower water; Spray in my water/ Suave Humectant spritz and seal w/ shea butter and EVOO. Then I bun for the rest of the week.

So now that I have a Whole Foods where I can get more natural products I want to tweek my reggie a little bit. Any and all suggestions would be great!

Thanks! :)

-Brandi

Comments

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    Oooh! Kid in a candy store. Here are my suggestions

- Jane Carter Nourish & Shine
    - John Masters Citrus & Neroli conditioner/detangler
    - Theraneem leaf and aloe vera gel
    - Beauty without Cruelty leave-in

I haven't used the following personally but others love:
    Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle rose conditioner
    Giovanni conditioners
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • CurlygoddessCurlygoddess Registered Users Posts: 287
    My personal favorites from Whole Foods are the Aubrey Organics and the Giovanni line
    From Aubrey I like the GPB Deep conditioner and the Giovanni Direct Leave in.

Many others on here like the Aubrey conditioners as well as some of the other products from the Giovanni line.

My all time favorite styler which is now for sale at Whole Foods is Curling Custard from Kinky-Curly.

hopefully others will answer with their favorite items
    Thick coarse 4b hair. Holy Grail: Kinky-Curly Curling Custard. Trying to grow it to bra strap length. Currently collar bone length.
  • brandiw316brandiw316 Registered Users Posts: 6
    Thanks so much, Suburbanbushbabe and Curlygoddess!

*taking notes*

Keep 'em coming! :D
  • curlymaybecurlymaybe Registered Users Posts: 354
    I'm here to recommend the Aubrey Organics line. The White Camellia, Honeysuckle Rose and Rose Mosqueta are all great moisturizing conditioners for 3/4- type curls. The GPB and Swimmer's Normalizing Conditioner (vegan) are gentle protein conditioners.
    I also like the Desert Essence Organics line. I've used the 365 (Whole Foods' brand) and Nature's Gate conditioners to co-wash with as well.
    Have fun shopping!
    ETA: This thread makes me want to go to Whole Foods.
    Hair loves: aloe vera juice, cocoa butter, camellia oil

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Never forget, justice is what love looks like in public." ~ Cornel West
    Curlymaybe,

Thanks for your feedback.

I guess I'm gonna have to pick up some Aubrey Organics, since everybody's suggesting that. lol

I didn't realize Whole Foods had their own brand of hair care products. I'm gonna have to check that out, too.

I was thinking of adding co-washing to my routine. I don't think I could do it more than once a week, though. I don't have the time or strength to detangle my hair more than 2x a week. HAHA!!
  • danna harrisdanna harris Registered Users Posts: 55 Curl Neophyte
    Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
    Hair: 3a mostly
    mod CG Fall 2008

co/wash - Suave Naturals or VO5, Naked Naturals shampoo from CVS - can't find anymore, replacing with JCHCC

Condition: Aubrey Organics HR, Moisture Maniac, Love Jessicurl deep treatment and her stuff!

Leave in's: Aveda Be Curly, Jessicul RR and CC, quarter and nickel amounts, AG liquid effects, KCCC (forever to dry), leaving behind the Aquage defining gel

Want to try some of Sally's generics
  • danna harrisdanna harris Registered Users Posts: 55 Curl Neophyte
    http://healthycurls.awardspace.com/free.html

I found this on NC.com. I'm going to print it the next time I go because I can't remember what I'm looking for! Check it out.
    Hair: 3a mostly
    mod CG Fall 2008

co/wash - Suave Naturals or VO5, Naked Naturals shampoo from CVS - can't find anymore, replacing with JCHCC

Condition: Aubrey Organics HR, Moisture Maniac, Love Jessicurl deep treatment and her stuff!

Leave in's: Aveda Be Curly, Jessicul RR and CC, quarter and nickel amounts, AG liquid effects, KCCC (forever to dry), leaving behind the Aquage defining gel

Want to try some of Sally's generics
    Danna Harris,

Wow..thank you so much for the list! That's just what I needed.

I'm printing this out now!! :D
  • TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Registered Users Posts: 671
    I could be wrong but I think the Suave Humectant has cones in it...
    Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
    Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
    Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
    LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
    For inquiring minds who want to know:
    http://www.public.fotki.com/TillyErnissee
    TillyWave,

I think you're right. It has Dimethiconol. I'm pretty sure that's a cone.

I know I'm not using the best products for my hair right now, so 2009 would be a great time for me to start a Healthy Curly Girl Hair Resolution. I want to shoot for BSL-MBL by the end of next year.

No heat, no color, no major hair manipulation, no bad hair products..nothing bad for my hair, period!

I want my hair to grow!!
  • ~GypsyCurls~~GypsyCurls~ Registered Users Posts: 351
    Wow great link! *bookmarks it*

I always had great success with the Nature's Gate shampoos and conditioners-especially the Hemp one. They have a nice brand of shea butters, I forget what the brand is but it's in a purple and orange container.
    2c/3a/3b curls, tailbone length, fairy tale ends
    Cleansers: V05 Co
    Conditioners: KMS Everyday, Dove Dry Oil Care

DT/Treats:Aphogee Protein Treat/Hemp/Argan Oil
    Leave-ins/Stylers: All HE Condish, Generic PM The Conditioner

• PassionFruitPassionFruit Registered Users Posts: 24
    as much as I LOVE Whole Foods store, for my hair products & vitamins & herbs I find online shopping a more cost effective alternative.... vitacost.com for example
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Registered Users Posts: 7,578 Curl Neophyte
    i cowash with the 365 grapefruit conditioner
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file