I'm discouraged! (kinda long)

beauticurlbeauticurl Posts: 89Registered Users
I'm discouraged today!
I've been on a weight-loss quest for the past 2 years or so, and have managed to shed about 50 pounds so far. Since the summer alone I'm down about 20 pounds, and I'd like to lose 15-20 more. I eat a healthy diet, around 1500 calories a day. I work out 6 times a week (three cardio sessions where I run three miles or do intervals running on the treadmill, and three strength sessions with squats/lunges/free weights/ab work). I've just recently started doing the strength training, and my weight has begun to remain the same where as I was losing about a pound a week before. I know that I'm gaining muscle, plus I'm on BC and that makes it harder to lose plus makes me retain water. And when I weighed last it was the day before my period started. I'm just discouraged because my scale isn't moving and that is, unfortunately, what motivates me the most. I was actually up about 2.5 pounds last weigh-in. I just wonder if my body will let me take off those last pounds and get to my goal. It's frustrating because I'm only 5'3, and my "ideal weight" according to most charts is 115 pounds. I know I'll never be able to get down that low, and I don't think it would be healthy to do so. I just want to be healthy, because I'm already pretty pleased with how I'm looking-I don't look like I weigh over 135-140 when I'm actually around 151. Should I be doing anything differently? Maybe adding some more cardio sessions, etc? TIA for any advice and for reading this long post! :wink:

Comments

• CherishCherish Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    Congratulations on losing 50lbs!! Wow... you should be very proud of yourself :D

Some suggestions based on what you wrote:
    1) Add a Ca and Mg supplement - this will help with the water retention from the BCP.
    2) I'd also up your protein - though you didn't say what your diet looks like, I'm guessing you didn't make changes there when you added the strength training.
  • punkinluvpunkinluv Posts: 4Registered Users
    Wow, you sound super-fit and healthy. If you are happy with the way you look, then go with it! If you are determined to lose a little more weight, then maybe you need to mix things up--your body gets used to a certain exercise routine, and stops responding as well. Have you considered too that with your high level of activity, that maybe you aren't getting enough calories? I think Cherish's advice to add protein is right on!
  • tnkrbll23etnkrbll23e Posts: 30Registered Users
    COngrats to you!

I lost a lot of weight a few years ago. I am 5'4 and weighed almost 180. I lost much of the weight through cardio and weights. I started working out again about 8 months ago with mostly strength training. I haven't lost weight but my body fat % has changed. You might want to get readings on that especially now that you are adding weight training. That will help encourage you as well.

The other thing I want to say is don't get stuck on the numbers. I know it is hard not to but try not to. I weigh more than I want to but I am in good shape and I have really good strength and muscle. I focus more on how I feel, how my clothes are fitting and the changes I see in my own body (lines in my abdominals, biceps and triceps showing, etc.).

Again, Congatuations on your weight loss. Keep on going because your health is the most important thing. I also think that once you have been weight training for about 6months you will see tremendous changes.
    Erin
    2B with one lonely 3A
    recovering Flat Iron Addict
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I agree with everyone else. Don't get stuck on numbers.

I had this same problem last summer. I had lost around 14 pounds but still thought I should be able to get to 130..I"m 5 6. I was eating low calorie and working out 5 times a week..strength and cardio. What I finally realized is that I was still losing...it was fat and I was keeping on the muscle. I noticed my pants and clothing getting too big. I ended up going down a whole size but my weight remained the same.

Try to get a body fat percentage done at your gym...or start measuring your thighs, hips, boobs etc. This is where you probably will notice the shrinking. You still might loose a few pounds slowly but it will take longer since your more fit.

Congrats on your weight loss. That is great job and keep up the good work.
  • disneylovedisneylove Posts: 112Registered Users
    the last 10-20 pounds is always the most difficult. keep living the healthy lifestyle and you will get there but it will take longer than the other pounds. reduce your salt intake will also help with water retention.

congrats on your weightloss and commitment to healthy living.
    We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here and that is the English language ….and we have room for but one sole loyalty, and that is a loyalty to the American people. —Theodore Roosevelt
  • pustekuchenpustekuchen Posts: 6Registered Users
    scales are the devil!

get someone to help you and take circumference measurements of:

shoulders (arms down at sides
    upper arm
    chest (above bust
    chest (below bust)
    natural waist
    hips
    thigh
    calf

then redo the measurements every two weeks/month/whatever works for you.

also the body fat percentage is a good idea, but try to avoid the scales that take it, they're not very accurate. you want to have a caliper test done or (the most accurate) a dunk tank test.

good luck and congratulations for the work you've already done!
    I believe in eating good food, you can buy a slightly cheaper suit or save up for a pair shoes, but you should never cheat your stomach.
    ~Vince Misceo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file