My 3yo's curly hair...help please

Toya10Toya10 Posts: 16Registered Users
My daughters hair has really started growing out and curling up more and more. I'm not sure what good products are good on kids. I used CG friendly products but not sure if I should use the same on her hair. Also, it seems like we are stuck in ponytail mode anyone else have any ideas on cute curly hair styles. Her curls tend to get really dry toward the middle-end of the day. We both suffer from massive bed head in the morning even with the satin pillow case. It just sticks to our heads. Any ideas guys?

Lovin' mah curls!

Comments

• subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    your daughter's hair would most likely benefit from using the CG products you already own.

im styling challenged, so im also on the look out for cute hair styles for my little girl. ive seen this book before back when i was a kid http://www.klutz.com/catalog/product/1119 and im going to buy it now because it has a lot of cute simple hairstyles in it.
  • Toya10Toya10 Posts: 16Registered Users
    subbrock wrote: »
    your daughter's hair would most likely benefit from using the CG products you already own.

im styling challenged, so im also on the look out for cute hair styles for my little girl. ive seen this book before back when i was a kid http://www.klutz.com/catalog/product/1119 and im going to buy it now because it has a lot of cute simple hairstyles in it.

Thanks I will def look into that! Headed to look online now...
    Lovin' mah curls!
  • danna harrisdanna harris Posts: 55Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You are such a good mom! She will thank you for taking such good care of her. She has awesome hair. Let it grow, let it grow, let it grow!
    Hair: 3a mostly
    mod CG Fall 2008

co/wash - Suave Naturals or VO5, Naked Naturals shampoo from CVS - can't find anymore, replacing with JCHCC

Condition: Aubrey Organics HR, Moisture Maniac, Love Jessicurl deep treatment and her stuff!

Leave in's: Aveda Be Curly, Jessicul RR and CC, quarter and nickel amounts, AG liquid effects, KCCC (forever to dry), leaving behind the Aquage defining gel

Want to try some of Sally's generics
  • CammybCammyb Posts: 576Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Let me just say your daughter has beautiful hair. Like the other post mentioned CG should work for her too. I would just seriously refrain from Parabens (especially on kids).
    uXBum4.png

"There’s just an certain aura a woman exudes when she has natural hair. She walks differently. Her swag is on full tilt. There’s a sense of confidence and je ne sais quoi that emanates from her spirit. Whatever it is it’s sexy as all hell and turns me on" -Anslem Samuel
    www.fotki.com/1cammyb
    www.piinkcamellias.blogspot.com
    www.youtube.com/1cammyb
    Cammyb wrote: »
    Let me just say your daughter has beautiful hair. Like the other post mentioned CG should work for her too. I would just seriously refrain from Parabens (especially on kids).

parabens? ill have to google that not sure what it is. I have started to use the cg products I have and her corkscrew springy curls are really coming out :)
    Lovin' mah curls!
  • madhuri_dixit_fanmadhuri_dixit_fan Posts: 310Registered Users
    Your daughter has super beautiful hair! Looks so soft and silky. Love the curls!:bunny:If ponytails are working for you, don't give them up entirely. Just switch up were you put the parts and ponys, and try adding things to hair like headbands, ribbons, hair jewelry, flowers, etc. For instance, you could do pony styles were front of hair has one or two loose ponys and the back is down and curly, and add some flowers or little gem non-snag clips.

Using the CG friendly stuff is also good idea because you're less likely to expose her to harsh products, essential oils or methods that can cause thinning, scalp/skin sensitizing, allergic reactions, or dryness.

I have kids with 2-3c hair, SL to WL when stretched.

My son is 2c/3b. Main styles are giant curly hair or (sometimes) a loose ponytail in back. Think Corbin Blue and Jaden Smith --> :afro: I'll just do leave in of few squirts of California Baby detangler + distilled water + tiny bit raw honey + tiny bit Avocado Oil (or Apricot Kernel Oil if want lighter oil or Coconut Oil/Avocado Butter in summer) and then apply quarter size amount of Aubrey Organics Design B5 gel/100% Aloe Vera Gel from the plant (or the one from Lily of Valley)/Herbal Essences Hello Hydration to his whole head, especially in 3b section that frizzes, applied from second half of hair to ends. To get the curls to form better I make him shake his head side to side twice, and back and forth twice. I have found that to be a big help making curls in everyone's head in my house. :happy4:

For my daughters who have MBL to WL hair that ranges from 2a to 3b with mix of textures, I do the same thing as with my son, except their hair is in loose braids using only their nautral hair 99% of the time. Due to the Balsam Oil in the gel and the cone in the HE HH they get less tangles, but also because my main style for them are Individual Box Braids using their natural hair. That style is were you make like 3-6 pontytail sections, but instead of using a ponytail holder or terrycloth thingy to make the ponytail you just braid that section of hair down like a ponytail but without the holder. Then I use small terrycloth holders on ends of hair, or put beads on it, or put a ribbon with a bell or flower garland or hair jewelry ala Bollywood braids. I don't try to make the braids so neat that they are tight at base. They are super loose at base, so they do tend to frizz up next day. So, to make that style last a bit longer without adding a holder or making it tight I add 1/2 dime sized amount of gel to hair about inch from scalp. They also sleep with the satin bonnets that are without elastic, and therefore have the cloth edges.

Their other main styles are Pocohantas Braids/Ponytails, with or without ponytail holders. When I use ponytail holders they are applied loosely. I am not concerned with making their edges or flyaways stay down. They never will without doing things I consider harmful such as applying too much product or using the wrong products or making ponys too tight.

One Ponytail style, this has a holder, applied losely, and I switch wear I make the ponytail base. This is usually braided or twisted down to ends and the ends tucked into the terrycloth holder (so not exposed) or braided/twisted halfway down with the end of braid left out and curly (with more gel on it). Sometimes I "band" the pony to give it more length. To do that I add small terrycloth pony holders to various parts of the braid.

Three Braids--two in front and one in back, were I braid the two front ponytails into the back one and then secure the end of that big braid with ponyholder (end tucked into holder). I add ribbons or flowers to that style to give it some personailty. They like this one a lot because it's a kind of simple version of Bollywood braids, especially when I add flowers or hair jewelry to it.

The Princess Crown + Ponytail/Bun--this is were I have the front of head have two rows of small individual "ponys." First row 3 ponys, second row 4, they are loosely secured with small ouchless ponytail holders in different colors, like red for the first row and yellow for second. I take the ponys of the first row, spilt them into two as if I were going to make a twisted ponytail, except I feed one section to one of the pony in the second row and the other section to another pony in the second row, splitting the ponys in half and sharing them with ponys in back row, kind of like a web. Then I take the four ponys in the second row (that has hair from first row ponys) and gather them into one big pony with the hair in the back of head. Loosely bun that or make one big loose ponytail and decorate with flower garland or hair jewelry. This is their favorite style, but it takes long for me to do because I go super slow and make sure ponys are loose. I don't do it often because of the little ponys, as I don't like to have ponytail holders worn often.

I only let them wear their hair down for one or two major holidays and school pictures. If hair is down, they have a headband in front, a very loose one that is covered in silk or satin, that doesn't have teeth or clips or anything that snags or digs into hair to hold in place. I sometimes use the cloth ones that are ouchless. I follow the styling that I do for their brother's hair (who basically wears his hair out & down 99% of the time) except I use bit more product on bottom half of hair for hold and protection.

Mostly individual braids. Occasionally ponytails. About twice or three times a year it's worn down. Mad simple styles. Boring to many I guess, but I make the styles pretty in appearance and find those braids perfect for active kids. Plus, their hairlines grow widly because I don't try to force that part of their hair into styles or load it with products. I'm not good at making elaborate styles, lol, and I don't think too much should be done with little heads.

ETA: I just found vids on youtube for girls' hairstyles from a lady who does some super elaborate, decorative, unique, cute and cool styles on her daughter's hair, definitely not your run of the mill ponytails:
    http://in.youtube.com/user/Kaylenasmommy
    RIP Natasha Richardson

Holy Grails: Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner, AVG, EVO Coconut Oil, Amla Oil, KC Spiral Spritz, Brahmi Oil, Tea Tree eo, Rosemary eo, Distilled H2O, Aloe Vera Juice, Neem Oil, ACV, Dr. Bonner's Skikakai Castile Soap, Avocado Oil

Sometimes: AOMM Jelly, KCNT, KCCC
    Wow good info thanks! I am so not a good braider but I can whip in a ponytail like no one's business lol.
    Lovin' mah curls!
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    First of all your daughter is adorable. I know how dealing with hair on a 3 year old can be trying. I usually do 2 or 4 braids. However, I stumbled across this style after I washed her hair. I was sectioning her hair to put in product and did these little knots as I went along. I decided to leave it in for a few days and she got a ton of compliments.

Never thought of this as a kid hairstyle but it's really a cute look and has been easy to maintain.

DSCN1600.jpg

DSCN1603.jpg

DSCN1599.jpg

DSCN1602.jpg

I don't do braids/cornrows (still learning). This has been a similar style that I don't have to redo every morning.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    wavezncurlz, that style is so cute (and so is your daughter)!
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    subbrock wrote: »
    wavezncurlz, that style is so cute (and so is your daughter)!
    aww thanks
    you know i am a stalker of your daughter - off to check your fotki updates! LOL
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file