I'm 35 and my skin is a mess

CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I took Accutane way back in my late teens/early 20s and that put an end to my cystic acne but I've had problems with blacheads since then. After I turned 30, it was like nothing helped at all. Nothing. My skin is usually clear of actual blemishes, though I do break out from time to time, I don't have wrinkles, but the blackhead situation is just awful. AWFUL. Nothing works.

WHAT should I be doing? My skin flakes, but still gets oily and my pores on my nose are huge...and it's spreading across my cheeks, up to my forehead, and a bit on my chin. This is awful. Things are getting worse instead of better. HELP!

I've been reading about the various product lines people are having sucess with and I'm totally overwhelmed. I don't know where to start and can I possibly need a 12 step face cleansing situation? That can't be right.

Does anyone have skin similar to mine and is anything working?

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You could try another round of Accutane. Accutane atrophies the oil glands, but they recover after about 10 years. I also took Accutane...about 15 years ago. I get blackheads sometimes, but I keep them mostly under control with Retin-A and salicylic acids. I have large pores on my nose and inner cheeks, but I seldom get actual pimples. I'm considering some laser treatment for the large pores.
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't think I'm up for another round of Accutane just now. At some point, we're planning to have another child. I'm actually 36 next month so, ya know, tick tock.

I havent found salicilic acids to be terribly effective, but I'm always open to another round of proudcts if you have a suggestion.

A friend just had microdermabrasion and it's made a huge difference in the appearance of her pores but she's MUCH younger than I am. I wonder if the effects would be nearly as dramatic on me. I wasn't aware there are lazer treatments, but sign me up. I just hate this.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Well, save up your shekels, because laser treatments are expensive. A few sessions can supposedly work wonders on acne, blackheads and large pores, and cost a few to several thousand dollars. Some places offer packages. There are several different types of lasers...smoothbeam, fraxel, etc., and some work better than others for different applications. I researched it a while ago...but I'll have to research it again from scratch when I'm ready to do it, because technology keeps changing.

I *think* dermabrasion and microdermabrasion is more for scarring than pores. I don't think it does a lot for pore size.
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    I know you want to have another baby, but depending on your timeline for it, have you tried Retin-A? That helped my blackheads immensely and I rarely get them now.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    check out the the acne cure and breaking out. both books gave LOTS of information on treatments and a way to apply products so that you skin is better. neither promotes specific products. my skin is oily but much better in terms of acne since i've found my routine.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
    luvmylocs, I was just reading reviews on Amazon. Thanks for the recs.

Lolo, I was on Retin-A for years. I had totally forgotten about it. That might be a good place for me to start.

RCW, I have no idea exactly what microdermabrasion is good for, but her pores look better. Before she had noticably large pores and after there was a huge difference. I didn't know she had had anything done but when I complimented her on her skin, she said microdermabrasion. It's not expensive so I'm thinking it's worth a shot.
  • alisons79alisons79 Posts: 680Registered Users
    CGNYC, I will e-mail you that document as soon as I get home tonight. I am at work right now and it's on my Mac at home.

:)
    3A/3B
    I love Jessicurl HCC, Jessicurl Too Shea, KCKT, KCCC, CK and HESMU...but it took a LOT of trial error to get to these products that consistently work for ME.
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    CGNYC wrote: »
    luvmylocs, I was just reading reviews on Amazon. Thanks for the recs.

i learned the most from breaking out. dermabrasion, laser and all types of meds are discussed. very informative. i found it in the bookstore. it's a couple of years old now but great information.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
    alisons79 wrote: »
    CGNYC, I will e-mail you that document as soon as I get home tonight. I am at work right now and it's on my Mac at home.

:)

Thanks!

And looks like I'll be making an order with Amazon today.

I'm going to try to see a new derm. I'm not really pleased with the old one as he has suddenly become more about pushing his own products and less about being a doctor. If I wanted a spa treatment, guess where I'd go?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file