Quick Drying Tips?

enelyaenelya Posts: 69Registered Users
Anyone have any tips on how to dry hair faster?

My hair takes about 6 hours to dry naturally, maybe 4 on a warm hot day. But I just don't have the time to let it dry naturally for 6 hours anymore. Most of the time I am having to shower in the evening, and only have about 2-3 hours.

I've dried blow-drying on low with a diffuser, but my hair just doesn't like it. It also doens't like plopping, I tried it once for about 20mins, and was in frizz city.

Comments

• Oriental CurlOriental Curl Posts: 201Registered Users
    I have thick hair, so I can really sympathise with this one, and I find air-drying works best for my hair, so I've had MANY experiences with long-damp hair and uncomfortable wet shirts.

One thing that I've found very useful (although I thought it was odd when I first heard about it) is to squeeze the water out of my hair with a few paper towels. I don't mean squeeze down the length like you would with a towel; I grab a section of hair at the ends and scrunch it up towards my scalp, squeezing gently as I get to the top. I do this after I've applied product, but I'm sure you could do it beforehand if that suits your routine better. It seems to eliminate all of the frizz for me, and I find that it helps to spread the crème through my hair without getting my hands sticky again! :laughing8:

One other thing: I hate wasting paper, and I find that I can build up quite a collection of paper towels with this method. What I have found (accidentally the first time) is that they dry out nicely and are equally absorbent a second (or third..) time. You could also do this with a spare microfibre towel. I use a smooth dish towel like the one I use for plopping. I thought that doing it with a towel would increase my frizz, but it doesn't seem to.

Good luck: I'd love to know if this works for you, or if you find something that does equally well. :icon_smile:
    Hair: LOTS of fine hair, mainly variations of 2 (FIA), now cut into a just-above-the-shoulder layered bob.

Products: MOP C-System Curl Enhancing shampoo
    Original Source conditioners for co-washing and conditioning
    MOP C-System Curl Defining Cream
    Boots clear gel and/or Joico Joiwhip
    Joico Curl Activator on the second day.
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use a towel made out of t-shirt material instead of paper towels and it was working in the summer when I could air dry but now it takes 3 plus hours . Maybe invest in a table top hard dryer....I've been thinking about it myself.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• sbuttons71sbuttons71 Posts: 2Registered Users
    I use special drying towels made by Curls Like Us, scrunch in product, then I plop for about 20 mins. then dry over my furnace register. Takes 30 - 60 mins. HTH!
  • Noelle1966Noelle1966 Posts: 87Registered Users
    I tried to towel dry my hair and comb it before putting in the Mop Top defrizzer. My hair really didn't like it. I still have to put it in while my hair is really still pretty wet. I do this at night so that my hair dries overnight. I put on my overhead ceiling fan so that it dries quicker.

I agree with a table top hair dryer. I have a bonnet hair dryer. It takes a little longer, but I like the results better.:dog:
    3A. I like Wella Kolestral. I also like a lot of products made by Nexxus.
  • lovemycurlzlovemycurlz Posts: 330Registered Users
    Noelle1966 wrote: »
    I tried to towel dry my hair and comb it before putting in the Mop Top defrizzer. My hair really didn't like it. I still have to put it in while my hair is really still pretty wet. I do this at night so that my hair dries overnight. I put on my overhead ceiling fan so that it dries quicker.

I agree with a table top hair dryer. I have a bonnet hair dryer. It takes a little longer, but I like the results better.:dog:
    I have to agree with the members that suggested a table top dryer. I have one and it has totally cut my drying time in half at least!! While I do love the air drying results the table top dryer is a definate second best!! Try it!!
    Coarse--M. Porosity--Frizz Prone--3/3b hair. HATES: Glycerin , Mineral Oil,various proteins,silicones.

Wash: L'oreal Ever Pure for color treated hair
    Condish : Terax Crema (simply the best)
    Leave-In: KCKT
    Prep: ? Looking for the HG
    Curl Enhancer: Alterna Hemp Straightening Balm
    Stylers: PM Foam
    Love: ACV rinses and baking soda washes. :flower:

• finchfinch Posts: 333Registered Users
    Yeah, if you can't diffuse and it takes that long to air dry (that would make me nuts), I'd go with a table top dryer as well.

I use a microfiber turban twistie type towel (say that 5 times fast....:p ) immediately out of the shower, leave it on about 10 minutes, then scrunch in my products and diffuse dry. It takes me about 10 min. with the diffuser to get my hair approx. 90% dry, then I let it air dry the rest of the way, which takes approx. 30 more minutes.
    Medium texture, normal-high porosity, wavy-curly 2c to 3a-ish hair that is MOISTURE HUNGRY!!!
    Currently recovering from a protein hair crisis. :( My hair hates protein, apparently.

• Noelle1966Noelle1966 Posts: 87Registered Users
    I originally asked for the bonnet dryer for Christmas to use with deep conditioner. However, when I use a diffuser I tend to scrunch my hair too much, too little, or both. I'm not that good at it. That's why I like the bonnet dryer. I scrunch it, then the dryer does the rest.
    3A. I like Wella Kolestral. I also like a lot of products made by Nexxus.
  • RIOT_GRRRLRIOT_GRRRL Posts: 4Registered Users
    I find the quickest way to dry without upsetting my 2a/b hair is to towel dry really well, squeeze dont rub, then put my products in and comb thru a tiny bit, then scrunch and then use my blowdryer on the lowest setting, and hold it like 30cm away from my head so it doesnt blow apart any curls or create frizz, and use it just to get the dryng process started, 'cause once you're past the really wet stage, airdrying goes alot quicker, coz its like that first 10% of wetness that takes the longest to dry in my case if you know what i mean, sorry its a bit hard to explain.
  • mpgirlmpgirl Posts: 1,163Registered Users
    You might want to try this method with your diffuser before investing in a table top. There is a good explanation here:

Pixie Curl Method
    3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
    Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect. -wabi-sabi

• TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Posts: 671Registered Users
    Do a search on double plopping, there's a long thread about that.
    Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
    Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
    Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
    LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
    For inquiring minds who want to know:
    http://www.public.fotki.com/TillyErnissee

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file