Healthy Snacks...need help

BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I'm trying to eat healthier. I am going to go grocery shopping in a few days and would like to buy some healthy snacks.
I love eating fresh fruit, so that's top on my list.
However, I need variety. Any other healthy snack ideas? It can be like a vegetable or something natural but it can also be something that is packaged. I need variety.
TIA
That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
:blob8:

3a/3b

Comments

• PriscillaPriscilla Posts: 278Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hard boiled eggs. Easy and healthy!
    Grace sets apart Christianity from all other religions.

No other religion offers God's love and redemption coming to us free of charge, as a gift, with no strings attached, no performance required, no standard to meet.

Only Christianity dares to make God's love unconditional.

(Whelchel)
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    I have some healthy and incredibly delicious cookie/bar recipes. I don't know if you're interested in making your own, though.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • buffiebuffie Posts: 184Registered Users
    If you like nuts, almonds are truly a superfood. They have protein, good fat and fiber in them. I get them in the individual size servings and throw them in my handbadg, car and locker. The great thing about them is they don't go bad.

Also if you like dried fruit, then Trader Joe's has a bag of individual servings of dried fruit and nuts mix. I have some friends who are fighters and I give them the bags when they are training for a fight.

I just love the portability and non-spoiling aspect of the dried fruit and nuts.
    "How can I control my life when I can't control my hair?" - from a t-shirt my brother gave me years ago. I loved it!

Have discovered I cannot live without KCCC and plopping. Always knew that I was dependant on my diffuser.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Hummus! I buy it or make it, and then eat it with baby carrots or rice crackers (or pita if I could eat wheat).

Laughing Cow light cheese on celery sticks or hard crackers (from South Beach Diet)

Applesauce

Trail mix (like Buffie suggested) - make your own mix of dried fruit, nuts, yogurt chips, goldfish crackers .... whatever you like. I do this for my toddler for a snack-on-the-go and usually end up eating most of it.
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Unfortunately,I'm allergic to eggs. But I do like the other ideas. I was thinking of nuts and trail mix, but I usually forget to put them on my list, so I'm going to do that now. Unfortunately, there isn't a Trader Joe's here...or so I think. I'm going to google them and see if there is one somewhere around here. Thanks.

Other ideas are, of course, also greatly appreciated. TIA

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.

3a/3b
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Just checked. No Trader Joe's. Oh well. There is a "Whole Foods" here. Any ideas of what I can get there?

3a/3b
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love my snacks! I get really crabby and jittery when I'm hungry so I always make sure I have a snack with me. I usually reach for fruit, pretzels, granola bars, nuts (I keep a small canister on my desk at work), prepackaged string cheese, yogurt, baby carrots. I love those mini babybel cheeses too.
    There a ton of snacks now that are prepackaged into those 100 calorie snack packs which makes it easy to carry.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    I'd take Whole Foods over Trader Joe's any day, so don't lament!
    I make my own granola, occasionally, though more as a gift. Some of the healthy cookies I make are egg-free.
    I would also suggest just having things like hummus, tapenade, pesto, and other spreads around. You can use them for various things.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • Koukla72Koukla72 Posts: 1,680Registered Users
    I vaguely remember there being a lot of good ideas in this older thread. Some of my favorites are in there, too :)
  • buffiebuffie Posts: 184Registered Users
    Whole Foods is certainly addictive. The have bins where you can pour out your own nuts. Everything from raw to roasted.

I don't know if you like Kashi or not but they make some pretty good bars. I like the Trail Mix and Honey Almond Flax a lot. I don't much care for the Peanut Butter one and that's unusual cause I love peanut butter. The Target near me had them for 3 boxes for $7.

Someone mentioned the Babybell Cheese. That's a good idea. I like the Laughing Cow light spreadable swiss on Reduced Fat Triscuits.
    "How can I control my life when I can't control my hair?" - from a t-shirt my brother gave me years ago. I loved it!

Have discovered I cannot live without KCCC and plopping. Always knew that I was dependant on my diffuser.
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users
    Can you make anything yourself? We love pumkin muffins in our house.
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    • Orville Redenbacher Smart Pop
    • Laughing Cow Light Swiss with veggies or Akmok 100% whole wheat crackers or spread on ham or turkey slices and rolled up
    • Nuts/seeds
    • Hardboiled eggs
    • Peanut butter on apples
    • Dark chocolate (in moderation, of course :))
    • Steel-cut oats with a little Smart Balance Light/Molly McButter, stevia or Splenda to sweeten, and a lot of cinnamon (I love Old Wexford Scottish Oats, microwaved five minutes so that they're still chewy and nutty)
    • Kashi Go Lean Crunch - Honey Almond and Flax - I snack on it dry, seldom eating it the 'normal' way - to me, it's a lot better than regular Go Lean
    • Fiber One snack bars - too good, though. It's hard for me to stop at one
    • Strawberries w/cottage cheese and stevia or Splenda - my cheesecake substitute
    • 'Exotic' flavors of Yoplait yogurt, e.g. Boston cream pie - I can seldom find anything but the usual flavors locally, though
    I'm on a baba ghanoush (traditional Middle Eastern roasted eggplant dip) kick since I made it for a Christmas party recently. I especially love it with red bell peppers, which I usually won't even eat raw. You need to make it yourself, though - any store bought I've seen has mayo in it, which isn't at all authentic, nor as healthy.

(Very forgiving and doesn't have to be exact: pierce a medium eggplant w/a fork and roast it in a 400 deg. oven directly on the rack for 30-45 minutes. Cut in half and scoop out the innards [or briefly placing it whole in ice water will make it easy to peel it off in big strips]. Either in a food processer or by hand, mix about 1/4 c. tahini [sesame butter], 1/4 c. lemon or lime juice, 2 cloves garlic [I roasted mine w/the eggplant], 1-1/2 T. olive oil, 1/2 to 1 t. cumin, [sea]salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste, and 2 T. toasted sesame seeds [ETA: you can buy them already toasted. I sprinkle mine on top instead, followed by a sprinkling of spicy paprika]. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours but best made the day before - keeps for several days. I doubled the last batch and ate off it for at least a week. Excellent w/any veggies - I especially like the peppers and cucumbers - or for the party, I bought some spicy Krackle Bread at Publix that was yummy with it. Some don't mix the olive oil in but, rather, mound the dip on a plate, make an indention in the top and pour the oil there so that it's mixed in as people dip into it. Some also top with chopped pistachios instead of sesame seeds - or nothing at all)
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • leelee28leelee28 Posts: 137Registered Users
    buffie wrote: »
    I like the Laughing Cow light spreadable swiss on Reduced Fat Triscuits.

If you have never had the Laughing Cow cheese ... TRY IT! (if you can)

it is SOOOOOOOOOO delicious and come in prewrapped wedges and is just so so so yummy! Great alone, on crackers, on a sandwich. YUM!
    ...now I wish I had some!
    Type: 3b with a little 3a f/m mix, ii

A "Mrs." as of June 26, 2010 :love3:
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    leelee28 wrote: »
    buffie wrote: »
    I like the Laughing Cow light spreadable swiss on Reduced Fat Triscuits.

If you have never had the Laughing Cow cheese ... TRY IT! (if you can)

it is SOOOOOOOOOO delicious and come in prewrapped wedges and is just so so so yummy! Great alone, on crackers, on a sandwich. YUM!
    ...now I wish I had some!

I especially like the garlic and herb flavor
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Dilly (pickled) green beans, carrots or asparagus

I got them at WalMart in a jar. They are crispy, delicious and about 90 calories for a whole jar!
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Posts: 1,781Registered Users
    All of these suggestions are great, and I second the hummus! I absolutely love hummus.
    I love the bins at Whole Food. So fun to go through. The one here doesn't have as many bins as the Earth Fare, though.
    If you have enough time, I suggest making your own granola bars. They taste a lot better, to me, than any kind I have ever tasted from the store.
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,079Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I am addicted to celery with cottage cheese on them.

Triscuits with lowfat cheese and sometimes a deli meat

Trail mix, but be careful because alot of them are unhealthy
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • TK*TK* Posts: 885Registered Users
    I enjoy celery sticks with peanut butter (cottage cheese, also a good choice).

Today I ate crackers with baked brie and fig jam. It's deliciously satisfying!
    I'm "TechKnockout" now.
  • sevendaiissevendaiis Posts: 54Registered Users
    You know those rice cracker things that are all different colours and shapes? Do you have them?

Rice_Crackers.jpg

:tweety:
    2c-3a :clown:
    Last straighten: 27th Febuary 2010
    Curly Since: 18th March 2010 (second time around)
    Trying CG (properly) soon. Last year's attempt failed, provoking straightening.
    I love Ballet! <3
    :blob:
  • Cassandra.007Cassandra.007 Posts: 8Registered Users
    Sairis wrote: »
    I have some healthy and incredibly delicious cookie/bar recipes. I don't know if you're interested in making your own, though.

Ooo, I'd love to hear them if you'd like to share!
  • JayneeJaynee Posts: 2,039Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Me too!

• scotchy19scotchy19 Posts: 1Registered Users
    does anyone on here have a good receipe for granola bars.. i tried one i found on the net, and it turned out very crumbly.. they wouldn'ts stay as bars. thanks.
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users

Me too!

Okay, I realize this is old, but it got bumped so I reread it. Anyway, what are those cookie/bar recipes? I am going crazy trying to come up with stuff for my kids. I am so terrible at planning menus, but that is another story. Healthy snack stuff would be great.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file