PSA - use cheap wine for cooking

webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
I wish I saw this article earlier. I could've saved myself quite a bit of money.

Basically - using cheap wine or moderate/expensive wine doesn't make a lick of difference in the taste.
hello.world.

Comments

• mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    No kidding! Thanks for the link. I'll be sending that off to my "don't cook with a wine you wouldn't drink" husband.
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    I didn't think anyone spent a lot of money on wine meant for cooking. We use cheap wine in restaurants most of the time. The point is not to use cooking wine, as it's awful and salty. In general I wouldn't use an awful wine, but I'd never pay much for one either. There are a lot of cheap wines out there that are pretty nice.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've always used less expensive wine in my cooking, and never my drinking wine.

That being said, there are plenty of excellent wines (for drinking) that are not expensive. It amazes me how many people I've met that believe the more expensive the wine the better it must be.. that's not necessarily the case, there are plenty of great wines that don't cost a lot.
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    I've always used cheap wine for cooking - like around $10, but I would never consider a $2 wine or $5 at all. Now I will.
    hello.world.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file